You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (A) - Premier League 04/2021 - 20:00

Bjornebye

9 minutes ago, skaro said:

They just interviewed So'ton's stand-in goalie hero.

In my opinion if you're up against a mid table club's six foot six back up keeper the best option would be to not have any shots on goal but instead chip the ball in to the box as often as possible, aiming at the three midget forwards.

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think if you look at this game realistically, we were kind of robbed by not getting any decisions and also we were undone by some last ditch defending. 

That said, the first half was just once again unacceptable, just the way we let them press us and push us around. That's way more worrying than that we can't score against an army of defenders in the 2nd half, two of which committed infractions in the penalty area.

We scored 7 against Palace, probably undeservably and now the sharpness in the final third is gone. That's just variance. The part where we get absolutely bodied in the first half by a good, not great team is once again baffling.

A good post, and I agree with most of what you’re saying. But no time to focus on the refs I reckon. Even if the refereeing was abysmal tonight, I felt it went both ways at times. 

Ww’ve had a handful of shots on target, and scored one goal, in three games against WBA, Newcastle and a weakened Soton. And it’s down to piss poor performances, the standard of refereeing isn’t the thing to worry about now, even if it seems to be worse than ever.

• Upvote 1

It’s funny football you can be utter dogshit and lose like we did tonight and will be slagged on here and on Sky and in the paper’s.

Yet get the penalty which we should have and there is a good chance we win this match or at worst we draw and then everyone says that what champions do.

And let’s be honest people can say it’s Evertonian type levels of moaning about the ref but decisions change games and looking at this season so far there is no way Utd don’t get one or maybe two of those decisions plus the other shite ones that occurred all over the pitch 

• Upvote 2

Ref was a prick and we definitely should have had at least one pen.
But 1 shot on target after the last two performances we served up. Shite. 

we played a side that attacked us and didn’t sit 2 banks of 4 defending.

I’m really concerned about the mancs match coming up as we have a decent few days off before we play them.

possibly Robertson’s worst game for us. Trent was lucky to last as long as he did. 

11 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

At what stage is it ok to become concerned?

Never!   

Yo've got to nonchalantly dismiss the threat of any of the teams breathing down our neck and wave away any concerns about our own shortcomings and then confidently declare we'll win the league by 10 to 15 points.

Its what all the cool kids do.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Fucking FA cup next - which probably means loads of changes, another disjointed performance as a result and probably another defeat as you can bet Villa will go full strength - and then we have to face the manc vermin with no form/rhythm at all.

What a game to bounce back though. Hopefully not Partridge style. 

We deserved nothing from this game, look at the last corner , like we did vs west Brom ....

Trent was so poor, so were Mo and Bobby.  We missed Hendo in midfield, Klopp fucked up again , weird.

Hard to understand what’s going on , maybe unrest in the squad.

3 minutes ago, derykw said:

Never!   

Yo've got to nonchalantly dismiss the threat of any of the teams breathing down our neck and wave away any concerns about our own shortcomings and then confidently declare we'll win the league by 10 to 15 points.

Its what all the cool kids do.

True that. 

It's great that we are confident in our team especially after the last couple years of excellence. However, that confidence has regularly crossed into misplaced arrogance this season by many of our fans.

5 minutes ago, Stickman said:

And let’s be honest people can say it’s Evertonian type levels of moaning about the ref but decisions change games and looking at this season so far there is no way Utd don’t get one or maybe two of those decisions plus the other shite ones that occurred all over the pitch 

Well, it well be head-to-head next, and frankly, I'm more concerned about us than the ref.

13 minutes ago, skaro said:

Jota plays against Mickeymouseland - a dead rubber - and yet I suspect the Reserves will play at Villa in the Cup.

Occasionally puzzling.

A "full strength" side probably needs to be out on the park, just to try to get some form back.

There was £ 2.3m riding on the Midgetland game, you dont even get that for winning the FA Cup. Maybe I am just being cynical.

• Upvote 1

Mentality from the team has changed so much in 12 months.

last season we were shite away to Villa conceeded early and fought our way back in to win with 10 minutes to go. 

When we went down early today our frustration was showing before 20 mins had gone.

Robertson was acting like a petulant child compared to the hero he was last year. 

even Klopp is quoted as saying we gave the game away in the first few minutes.

whatever happened to fighting till the end and not giving up!!

I think we all agree we were pretty poor in the first half. That said, it must unsettle players when you have a clearly bent and corrupt cunt like mariner was, giving out 2 cards in the opening minutes to Thiago and Robbo. To be honest, I thought one of them wouldnt finish the game the way this twat dished out the cards.

The corrupt cunt booked Thiago to show him who was boss after he'd had words with the ref in the first, what, 60 seconds? He then books him for a challenge that was less than 2 good penalty shouts he turned down.

Robbo get's fouled and has a little nibble back. You can say he shouldnt have but come on, how many times have those situations seen a yellow come out in the first few minutes and instead the ref just gives the player a warning? Ive seen it plenty of times at Anfield when an oppo has hacked down one of our players in the first few minutes. It's a finger wag and a talking to and hardly ever a yellow for the first 'offence.'

I dont call the players shit but we were very poor in that first half. The goal came from a soft free kick. Trent, well, I dont know what he was doing with that ball, he didnt seem to know what to do. Joe got pelters earlier in the season that bounced at around midriff to chest height but Trent just seemed to let this one go.

What's going on with Trent? Has he got long covid because he just doesnt seem to want to get forward. During the West Brom game, he just kept patting the ball back, mainly to Hendo. As good as Trent is, I honestly havent seen a player hit the first man so many times when playing the ball forward.

Ive no beef with Ings but did he really try and score there or was he just trying to get the ball back into the middle of the goal? Doesnt matter because it went in.

Second half, we played much better but again our final ball was either blocked or poor choice made and the chance gone begging. A lot is made that their keeper only had one shot to save. Yeah but how many were blocked by defenders in front of him? It doesnt make good reading and it seems since we scored 7 at Palace it just isnt happening for the players.

Mo, Sadio and Bobby continually made the wrong choices and wanted too many touches in the box again.

But the biggest concern for me was two shouts for penalties on Sadio plus another from Gini when his shot was blocked by an arm. First off, Id say Gini isnt one to claim anything as a pen unless it is. You could say it was a close shot to the player and he didnt have time to move his arm out of the way. Question is, why is it in the way in the first place?

I think the same player did a sliding block later and his arm was above his head, Im left wondering with mariner's and VAR's abject performance tonight whether they'd have turned that down as a pen if the ball hit his arm?

Did VAR look at Gini's shout? I cant remember in game but if they did, they didnt take long to decide and it set the unbelievable tone for two later shouts, both on Sadio. Im really struggling to believe one if not both of these are not given as he's clearly hauled down in the box by a Southampton defender.

They're as clear as day and far more blatant than that joke united got awarded against Villa. Said before, Sadio doesnt go down when his leg was grabbed by darlow at newcastle no pen. He's hauled down twice tonight and neither are given. Worse, VAR says there isnt enough to overturn the ref's decision!

So what happened to the 'forensic' examination of these incidents, numerous replays from every angle in slow and normal time? It's a fucking joke. The rules seem to change every game Liverpool Football Club play in the PL now.

After the West Brom game some people said they deserved a point for their 2nd half performance. Well, no matter how bad we were in the first half tonight, we deserved a point in the 2nd half tonight. And if the corrupt bent mariner and his VAR chums had done their job, we would have had chance to steal all three, however undeserving that is. it certainly seems the way for united at the moment.

Game wise, Jurgen clearly has a problem right now because the front three arent taking their chances. They are taking too many touches in an effort to make sure they score but it's having the opposite effect.

I dont really see the loss of Virgil makes a difference in tonight's game, Fulham, Newcastle or West Brom. Virgil isnt preventing the goal tonight. It's the other end of the pitch we have problems.

It was never going to be easy to retain the title even before Virgil and Joe got injured. Tonight's result makes it a whole lot harder.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

A good post, and I agree with most of what you’re saying. But no time to focus on the refs I reckon. Even if the refereeing was abysmal tonight, I felt it went both ways at times. 

Ww’ve had a handful of shots on target, and scored one goal, in three games against WBA, Newcastle and a weakened Soton. And it’s down to piss poor performances, the standard of refereeing isn’t the thing to worry about now, even if it seems to be worse than ever.

Not so much the ref, as just general bad luck. The ref, the bounces, etc.. It's just not going our way and it's piling on. But yeah, the performances stink, that goes without saying. 

In the pecking order of things, the finishing is still behind the defending and whatever mental issues and lack of effort we have right now. Again, we scored 7 like two weeks ago. We're now on the flipside of that.