You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (A) - Premier League 04/2021 - 20:00

Bjornebye

13 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Some of those results were after we got crowned Champions. We could have lost every game after it got confirmed and it wouldn't have mattered.

I know we are all pissed off tonight, but I think calling the team mediocre is too harsh. It's a testament to them that Liverpool are even still in the mix despite all the injuries and poor decisions against us this season.

Amen.

We still haven't been able to start any game, in any competition, with any version of our "best XI". And yet, we're still top.

I think we all need to get a bit of perspective and stop comparing this season to last. This season, other teams will be closer to us: that's not because we're shit, it's just that last year we were amazing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

So according to Carragher Mane kicked the leg of the Southampton gobshite and it wasn’t a pen. Unbelievable Geoff 

Yeah the defender stuck his leg out in front and Mane kicked it - hell of a way to explain away a trip.

And to top it, Ince said because it wasn't the front leg being kicked but the back, then it's not a penalty! What the fuck.

2 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Mate, I love your posts, but I don't understand your point. There was no penalty. There was no clear case for a penalty. 

Maybe you need to invest your time in another sport mate, football is obviously not your thing. 

Two stonewall penalties denied. 

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Come on, that's too simplistic. Yes we were poor in the first half, no one, I think disputes that. What you're saying is in a 1-0 game where it's decided by a penalty kick that the ref has nothing to do with the result?

Erm, but that's the whole point. United are being awarded pens that arent and helping them win games ie Villa, while we're not getting the same.

Clearly united shouldnt be getting these types of pens then all would be reasonably good. Sorry to disgaree but I thought all 3 were good penalties for us tonight. If they'd been given and converted and 'stole' the 3 points, that would be another debate.

Well we at least partly disagree then. I basically dont expect us to get the penalties United get, I expect them to stop getting penalties other teams dont get.

And I honestly didnt think any of the situations tonight were penalties. The exception could be the one where Mane got the yellow, if it was inside the box. I was too pissed off and never watched a proper replay of that one. The handball and the other situation with Mane would have been very soft ones imo.

Is it possible that the 12th man missing is having at least a partial affect? Even our away support was the best in the country. 

The whole world built up the legendary ‘anfield atmoshere’ and the incoming players all get psyched up for it.

we’ve been shit since football went into lockdown. The game where the 1st lot of 2000 fans were present, Jurgen called ‘special’ with comments like ‘gave us goosebumps’

Surely its taking its toll. Our club is about passion and that has a synergestic effect.

8 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Amen.

We still haven't been able to start any game, in any competition, with any version of our "best XI". And yet, we're still top.

I think we all need to get a bit of perspective and stop comparing this season to last. This season, other teams will be closer to us: that's not because we're shit, it's just that last year we were amazing.

We're on pace to get slightly above 70 points. What perspective do we need? That's a points total of ours from 3 years ago when we were finishing 4th. We're simply not that good.

1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Well we at least partly disagree then. I basically dont expect us to get the penalties United get, I expect them to stop getting penalties other teams dont get.

And I honestly didnt think any of the situations tonight were penalties. The exception could be the one where Mane got the yellow, if it was inside the box. I was too pissed off and never watched a proper replay of that one. The handball and the other situation with Mane would have been very soft ones imo.

What you’re basically saying is that if Pogba dives he gets a penalty, if Mane dives he gets nothing.

I concur. 

Were playing awful turgid football the worst thing is we are repeating the same play that isn't working again and again until the final whistle and still after that do the same thing in the following games. Is nobody learning anything anymore do we think we perfected football and no longer need solutions as the rest of the teams will fall into line again soon. Will we change things up or select exactly the same again follow the same pattern and wonder why we haven't had barely any shots on target again. Play the exact way with 2 centre mids in defence as we do with 2 of the best centre backs. Make some changes tactically. Surely for fuck sake we work on other things.

I'm just fed up a shit day with no reprieve and with football we're playing the worst I've seen us play in a few years.

5 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Is it possible that the 12th man missing is having at least a partial affect? Even our away support was the best in the country. 

The whole world built up the legendary ‘anfield atmoshere’ and the incoming players all get psyched up for it.

we’ve been shit since football went into lockdown. The game where the 1st lot of 2000 fans were present, Jurgen called ‘special’ with comments like ‘gave us goosebumps’

Surely its taking its toll. Our club is about passion and that has a synergestic effect.

I really don't think our away support was the best in the country.

15 minutes ago, Trumo said:

We're struggling in the centre back department, and it's changing the way we set up and how we can get our full backs and attackers into the game.

This.

Fabinho makes a good CB, but that leaves us with no Fabinho in midfield.  Henderson is OK (but no better than OK) when he drops deeper to replace Fabinho, but that leaves us with nobody to do the Henderson stuff - like setting up a new attack when one breaks down and offering protection to Trent when he gets forward  - quite as well as Hendo. Losing our centre backs has blunted our attack.

9 minutes ago, skaro said:

The absolute best thing for us is to play United next in the League.

As well as needing to play well, we desperately need something to reignite our spirit.

Lose that and we are in real bother.

Effectively will be 6 pts behind them (if they as likely win their game in hand)

Probably end up 5 behind Man City too.

Really is a must win IMO.

8 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Very interesting to listen to him, and how refreshing that he so obviously knows what he’s doing and also gives an honest and correct assessment. He mentions being ready, mentally as I understand it, several times. Seems very clear that mental fatigue after going over two full seasons in the league with extreme results is now kicking in.

Fuck me I remember his predecessor talking about lacking that wee bit of luck after utterly shit performances.