You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Too nice?

lebron

With the current incompetent bunch in charge of refereeing, I think we need to step it up a bit in terms of making surr we're getting the ref's/var's attention.

I love the idea of us winning the "right way", but as the 2018 CL final taught us, niceness isn't rewarded. 

If we hound the ref after Clark's foul on Salah, we play against 10. If Mane screams and flaps around dramatically and we make a team effort against the ref, they're forced to have a longer look.

I hate our players having to resort to this, but every point matters in this season. The refs are giving us absolutely nothing atm, so we need to influence them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lebron said:

With the current incompetent bunch in charge of refereeing, I think we need to step it up a bit in terms of making surr we're getting the ref's/var's attention.

I love the idea of us winning the "right way", but as the 2018 CL final taught us, niceness isn't rewarded. 

If we hound the ref after Clark's foul on Salah, we play against 10. If Mane screams and flaps around dramatically and we make a team effort against the ref, they're forced to have a longer look.

I hate our players having to resort to this, but every point matters in this season. The refs are giving us absolutely nothing atm, so we need to influence them.

Yeah agree completely. Robbo is the only one with that spikey side in him.

Both Fab and milner took cards for the team tonight. Nat clattered a Newcastle player into touch on the halfway line to stop a breakaway and was fortunate not to get a card.

Dont really see how we could be less nice tonight and not have someone sent off. As others have said, it was our lack of finishing that let us down.

1 hour ago, lebron said:

Mane was entitled to and should have gone down.

It looked to me almost like, rather than being too nice, he actually couldn't be arsed going down.

No complaints about the ref.

14 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Both Fab and milner took cards for the team tonight. Nat clattered a Newcastle player into touch on the halfway line to stop a breakaway and was fortunate not to get a card.

Dont really see how we could be less nice tonight and not have someone sent off. As others have said, it was our lack of finishing that let us down.

Eh? He was carded straight away (and deservedly so). Fernandez taking out Mane with an elbow to the face 5 mins earlier went unpunished though.

Today was more a general observation from my side, it's not the worst refereeing performance of they year (stiff competition there). I'm sure we need to become more snidey to get more decisions our way though. Mane and Salah in particular are being shafted on a weekly basis, and the rest of the lads need to be in the ref's ear about it. When you see the shite our Manc rivals are getting away with in terms of playacting, screaming and crowding the ref, we need to follow suit. I hate it, but it seems to be the only way to get the decisions we deserve.

PS! Only me thinking we should have got a penalty for Darlow hanging onto Mane's leg then?

30 minutes ago, lebron said:

Eh? He was carded straight away (and deservedly so). Fernandez taking out Mane with an elbow to the face 5 mins earlier went unpunished though.

Today was more a general observation from my side, it's not the worst refereeing performance of they year (stiff competition there). I'm sure we need to become more snidey to get more decisions our way though. Mane and Salah in particular are being shafted on a weekly basis, and the rest of the lads need to be in the ref's ear about it. When you see the shite our Manc rivals are getting away with in terms of playacting, screaming and crowding the ref, we need to follow suit. I hate it, but it seems to be the only way to get the decisions we deserve.

PS! Only me thinking we should have got a penalty for Darlow hanging onto Mane's leg then?

Re Nat, so he was! I misread the booked players on Live Score.

1 hour ago, lebron said:

Nope.  Me too.

He goes down here and, on VAR's form this season, it's pretty nailed on I think.

Keeper's arm (with glove holding thigh/knee) is clearly wrapped entirely around the leg Mane would be using to put the ball in the net.

Penalty.

Even with Mane staying up, I'm surprised it wasn't reviewed more vigorously at the time... er, actually, I'm not; it's true to lottery form.

20201231_125520-1.jpeg

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Grinch said:

Ref was absolutely fine tonight. 

He wasn’t the problem but he wasn’t fine. No problem with our yellow cards but he should absolutely have given Clarke a 2nd and Fernandez a yellow too. The free kick that they nearly scored from in the 2nd half was taken at least 10 yards infield from where the foul took place..... another instance where rules are discretionary, as opposed to corner kicks where there is an anal obsession about the placement of the ball. And what’s the ruling about linesmen keeping their flags down..... I have no idea what the rule is anymore. A couple of times last night, we were flagged offside when it was clearly marginal.... in one instance, Mo actually looked well onside. We should have had four or five more free kicks than he gave us including one when a guy jumped on top of Milner’s head,ffs. Anyone else noticed that we’re nearly always on the wrong end of the foul count (9-13) last night. This is because we press high and defenders flop to the floor under minimal or no contact and win laughable free kicks from clueless referees.

No, this was just another random, eccentric refereeing performance which is about the best we can expect these days. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, DaveT said:

He wasn’t the problem but he wasn’t fine. No problem with our yellow cards but he should absolutely have given Clarke a 2nd and Fernandez a yellow too. The free kick that they nearly scored from in the 2nd half was taken at least 10 yards infield from where the foul took place..... another instance where rules are discretionary, as opposed to corner kicks where there is an anal obsession about the placement of the ball. And what’s the ruling about linesmen keeping their flags down..... I have no idea what the rule is anymore. A couple of times last night, we were flagged offside when it was clearly marginal.... in one instance, Mo actually looked well onside. We should have had four or five more free kicks than he gave us including one when a guy jumped on top of Milner’s head,ffs. Anyone else noticed that we’re nearly always on the wrong end of the foul count (9-13) last night. This is because we press high and defenders flop to the floor under minimal or no contact and win laughable free kicks from clueless referees.

No, this was just another random, eccentric refereeing performance which is about the best we can expect these days. 

The ref blew for offside in the attack Bobby put the ball in the net. This was despite the flag not going up, whistle blew well betorevwe scored and they barely showed a replay but it was close end inexcusable for the ref to be making that decision. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DaveT said:

This is a huge gripe of mine at the moment. We’re not struggling because of refs but we’re constantly on the wrong end of shitty little ‘fouls’ when we regularly see Mane being manhandled and getting nothing. I know it drives Jurgen mad as he’s always hopping up and down on the touchline when it happens, he got booked for it in the West Brom game. 

• Upvote 4

We regularly get FA Cup style refereeing where our strikers get manhandled and our midfielders get shoved or blocked and we get nothing while the opposition get a free kick nearly every time they fall over. It's been going on for years and I reckon it's part of an overall strategy of evening up the games in the Prem to make the product more 'exciting". 

I don't watch the likes of City and the other top sides enough to know if they get the same treatment. 

On 31/12/2020 at 17:39, Wicket said:

This is a huge gripe of mine at the moment. We’re not struggling because of refs but we’re constantly on the wrong end of shitty little ‘fouls’ when we regularly see Mane being manhandled and getting nothing. I know it drives Jurgen mad as he’s always hopping up and down on the touchline when it happens, he got booked for it in the West Brom game. 

Nuno Espírito Santo charged by the referee for calling out the (as usual) incompetent performance by Lee Mason in the Wolves - Burnley match. Doesn't matter how bad or incorrect the referees are there is never anything done about them. Incompetent cunts  are out of their depth with anything more complex than the coin toss.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, lebron said:

We need to be utter cunts on Sunday. Diving, playacting, harrassing the ref the entire game. It's the only way we're going to get any decisions going our way.

You've inspired me anyway.

Just gone down clutching my face even though I'm in a room by myself. Currently waving an imaginary red card at my wardrobe. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, lebron said:

We need to be utter cunts on Sunday. Diving, playacting, harrassing the ref the entire game. It's the only way we're going to get any decisions going our way.

Trouble is, it takes years of training to perfect these antics, it would take forever to reach the standards most of our rivals have set long since.