You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (A) Premier League - 30/12/2020 - 20:00

Bjornebye

I’m not at the knicker wetting stage yet for a number of reasons. Frustrating as it is dropping points against shite like Fulham, Newcastle, Brighton, West Brom and Everton. We’ve been incredibly spoilt the last two seasons accumulating nearly 200 points. That is a freakish amount and unsustainable in the long term. Even our best teams over the years weren’t operating at that level.
We have been very unlucky this season with injuries. Even if the Mancs win their game in hand we are still top I believe. We are still in the Champions league unlike them. We have recent experience of being in a close title race. Unlike them. We have a world class manager. Unlike them. Thiago even in that brief cameo looks sublime. It’s not as bad as is being made out on here tonight. We do need to sign a centre back though. If we don’t then yeah I’m all in on the hysterical fanny bus.
Not quite there yet though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Soft Joe said:

I’m not at the knicker wetting stage yet for a number of reasons. Frustrating as it is dropping points against shite like Fulham, Newcastle, Brighton, West Brom and Everton. We’ve been incredibly spoilt the last two seasons accumulating nearly 200 points. That is a freakish amount and unsustainable in the long term. Even our best teams over the years weren’t operating at that level.
We have been very unlucky this season with injuries. Even if the Mancs win their game in hand we are still top I believe. We are still in the Champions league unlike them. We have recent experience of being in a close title race. Unlike them. We have a world class manager. Unlike them. Thiago even in that brief cameo looks sublime. It’s not as bad as is being made out on here tonight. We do need to sign a centre back though. If we don’t then yeah I’m all in on the hysterical fanny bus.
Not quite there yet though.

Hard Joe.

2 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Yes and no imo. Newcastle did try to play and attack, completely different from WBA.

What we lack at the moment is energy, intensity, pressing and movement. Could be down to fatigue, and if so it can and will be fixed. Could also be down to complacency, which in case is a bit harder to fix. My guess is a combination of the two.

It would be worse if it was a structural or tactical problem, and a matter of us not being able to break down teams parking the bus. It isn’t in my opinion.

It IS a structural problem when we have the 3 slowest CBs in the league. Our pressing isn't nearly as effective when we're not compressing the field. We either have to give up the pressing for a while (and look like most other teams) or live with the hazardous approach og playing Fab + 1 at the halfway line against the quick strikers of the PL. The targeting of Phillips/Williams will just continue...

I'd consider playing Gini CB, he's strong, quick and has a decent leap on him. I don't think we'll be buying a CB in january. I'm nearly starting to hope for a postponement of the season so that Vvd, Gomez and Matip can be back fit and firing.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

We're top on the technicality that other teams are crap and are all taking points from each other, though. Our points total at this stage of the season is weak and the performances aren't great either. 

Top is top, but we're more than wobbly. 

If we carried on at same rate we'd finish with 78 pts and even in this strange and tight season I can't see that being enough.

So we need to start improving, so do of course all our rivals.

It is time to start now - we have some tricky fixtures coming up, which to be fair we seem to do better in these days than the games against the dross.

Your point earlier about our pacey/strong centre halves being out and us not being able to squeeze teams and compress them and pen them in is valid, we need to fix this somehow or the improvement in results we need is going to be very hard to find.

Our play is becoming disjointed and bitty and the tempo is screwed - its a bit like in chess when a player moves pieces unnecessarily - it cause a loss of 'tempi' as player ends up moving them back again.....and we are suffering from that at minute as we are taking too many touches at back and in midfield because our best ball users are missing there so we end up with teams being able to shuffle back into shape and we have to go backwards and sideways and try and start again....and the starting positions are not as high up park.

Our ability to link play is diminished, we are slower, and less dangerous.

Shite result on top of the West Brom game.

I said to myself in November that if we were in touching distance of the top while all our players were out I'd be happy.

Now we are top but have dropped stupid points but I'm still optimistic about the season.

Also think one of Salah or Mane will leave in the summer.

54 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

It's no coincidence that the man of the match was their goalkeeper.

Sure, but it wasn't a draw because of their goalkeeper.

Our two most gilt-edged chances had nowt to do with the keeper.

What's more, if Adrian for instance had conceded any of their keeper's good saves, there'd be pages of complaints on here.

3 minutes ago, skaro said:

... and for me, there would be only one thing worse than not retaining the title this season - and that would be having "excuses" for not doing so.

I don't get the logic of not buying.

We need to buy a long term partner for VVD - we can't go on with 3 centre halves 1 of who is always injured and we can't keep denying our midfield the presence of Fabinho long term.

We have known we needed to act in Jan since that little Dinocunt went through VVD and then Gomez went down....and it isn't just an emergency stop gap job, it is just what needed doing come the summer and what we should have had a plan for anyway brought forward one window.....that bringing forward one window should not be an excuse to not get it done.

We need to get it done - if we don't then for me we will pay by winning fuck all this season.

I know its hard to take top players away from clubs in Jan and we'll probably have to pay a premium, so be it - just get it done.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

I don't get the logic of not buying.

We need to buy a long term partner for VVD - we can't go on with 3 centre halves 1 of who is always injured and we can't keep denying our midfield the presence of Fabinho long term.

We have known we needed to act in Jan since that little Dinocunt went through VVD and then Gomez went down....and it isn't just an emergency stop gap job, it is just what needed doing come the summer and what we should have had a plan for anyway brought forward one window.....that bringing forward one window should not be an excuse to not get it done.

We need to get it done - if we don't then for me we will pay by winning fuck all this season.

I know its hard to take top players away from clubs in Jan and we'll probably have to pay a premium, so be it - just get it done.

I think it's beholden on us, simply on Matip and Gomez' injury record alone.

The fact that an immediate title and European Cup is riding on it, only underlines it.

It's hopefully that obvious, that clear-cut, and will happen.

But.... 

2 minutes ago, skaro said:

I think it's beholden on us, simply on Matip and Gomez' injury record alone.

The fact that an immediate title and European Cup is riding on it, only underlines it.

It's hopefully that obvious, that clear-cut, and will happen.

But.... 

Yeah

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skaro said:

Sure, but it wasn't a draw because of their goalkeeper.

Our two most gilt-edged chances had nowt to do with the keeper.

What's more, if Adrian for instance had conceded any of their keeper's good saves, there'd be pages of complaints on here. 

Salah almost scored in the penalty area, denied by a fingertip save at point blank range. That was an incredible save. 

The performance overall was not good. However when the keeper pulls off shit like that it's got to make players wonder. As the defending champions opponents are going to see our match as the prize draw.

We need our best players back but we also need to use our squad more. Minamino started against Palace and scored the first goal. Where has he been since then? Is Keita injured again?

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Salah almost scored in the penalty area, denied by a fingertip save at point blank range. That was an incredible save. 

The performance overall was not good. However when the keeper pulls off shit like that it's got to make players wonder. As the defending champions opponents are going to see our match as the prize draw.

We need our best players back but we also need to use our squad more. Minamino started against Palace and scored the first goal. Where has he been since then? Is Keita injured again?

Yeah it’s a bit weird with Minamino he gets his first goal plays well and we haven’t seen him since yet when he is shite which he mostly has been he seems to get on at some point in most games