You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW Best/Worst of 2020

Mook

On 27/12/2020 at 11:35, Champ said:

Best Film    Not a clue
Best TV Programme    Can’t think
Best Album    I’ve had Erasue on a lot. Memories of less complicated times maybe
Fittest Bird    Our turkey
Fittest Bloke    JK...what’s not to love
Best Moment    Number 20
Worst Moment    Knowing that there are some people I will never feel the same about again because of their reaction to Coronavirus 

Best TLW Moment      Dr Nowt getting his new meds

On 27/12/2020 at 13:31, KMD7 said:

Best Film - No Idea
Best TV Programme - Ozark
Best Album- No idea
Fittest Bird - Jurgen Klopp
Fittest Bloke - Rico (Ive decided to ignore the post chrimbo dinner sleep pic)
Best Moment - Mrs KMD giving me her kidney, and her getting through it ok. 
Worst Moment - Watching her suffer for about 6 weeks after the op while recovering. Not seeing my parents for 3 months when lockdown started.

Best TLW Moment - CD and Elite surviving Corona, Ben getting his new meds and the incredible and continued generosity of the TLW folk. 

Cheers Cath and Dec, that means a lot. Suddenly feeling well and having clear lungs as a baseline is very strange after a lifetime, but truly incredible. I could feel the meds working within literally an hour, haven't coughed once since the day after I got them 7 weeks ago - it made my mum well up when I saw her as she's so used to me doing so constantly - and started Couch To 5k last week, which was seriously painful but previously unthinkable. The whole thing is mental, even more so for coming in the middle of Covid, having been locked down on my own for much of the year. To see how happy it's made family and friends even during a shitty time all round has been life-affirming.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 16

Best Film: I don't seem to watch films anymore, too short an attention span. Someone posted a youtube vid that was 1hr 30 minutes recently - it was of a dude living in the wilderness building a log cabin, so that.
Best TV Programme: Mr Inbetween
Best Album: Doves latest one probably
Fittest Bird: A youtuber I follow called Lexie Limitless-

image.png
Fittest Bloke: I dunno some guy I suppose. 
Best Moment: My son being born in February
Worst Moment: Wife and Mother in Law putting Ketchup on my Christmas dinner

Best TLW Moment: Tony complaining about other people's confectionary choices

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Cheers Cath and Dec, that means a lot. Suddenly feeling well and having clear lungs as a baseline is very strange after a lifetime, but truly incredible. I could feel the meds working within literally an hour, haven't coughed once since the day after I got them 7 weeks ago - it made my mum well up when I saw her as she's so used to me doing so constantly - and started Couch To 5k last week, which was seriously painful but previously unthinkable. The whole thing is mental, even more so for coming in the middle of Covid, having been locked down on my own for much of the year. To see how happy it's made family and friends even during a shitty time all round has been life-affirming.

Glad to hear the new meds are working out so well. On this subject, were you quoted in a recent Guardian article about them?

• Upvote 1

I'm terrible at these things but here goes.

Best Film: I watch very, very few movies now but really enjoyed JoJo Rabbit.

Best TV Programme: Preacher. Fucking A.

Best Album: Untitled (Black Is) by SAULT. 

Best Moment: Having had to isolate through all of this, me, the wife and dog managed to get away for a week in October and had a lovely, life affirming time.

Worst Moment: Being hospitalised with an infection in June which is ultimately leading me down the path to major surgery, which I'm a bit scared of, in 2021.

Best TLW Moment: People have covered them. This community never fails to be anything short of amazing, the support people show each other (including me, someone who posts very little nowadays) is why I'm still here after 16 years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

21 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Best TLW Moment: People have covered them. This community never fails to be anything short of amazing, the support people show each other (including me, someone who posts very little nowadays) is why I'm still here after 16 years.

Fuckin N00b

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Glad to hear the new meds are working out so well. On this subject, were you quoted in a recent Guardian article about them?

Cheers man, I really appreciate that.

Not me in The Guardian mate, but I’ve read and been told of loads of cases which match if not exceed my experience of them to date, so there’s been plenty of us singing the same song. There are numerous patients of my clinical team who were listed for a double lung transplant and had been needing 2 week courses of inpatient IVs every 6 weeks for time, who received Kaftrio on compassionate grounds well before it became freely available on the NHS this winter. Many I know of now haven’t been in hospital needing any IVs for a year and are enjoying relative health they couldn’t have dreamt of. 

My old dear saw this in a magazine recently and sent it to me.

1F6B1D00-7E07-4934-A070-EF6441B5AEC1.thumb.jpeg.e83e14f24526c90e37696e9af5ffa087.jpeg

All very strange to have lived long enough to witness and benefit from, given the picture in the 1970’s and how new this treatment innovation is still. I’m grateful beyond words, while obviously thinking a lot about the many patients who haven’t enjoyed my good fortune and their families, and not wanting to be too crass given the pain so many are suffering due to Covid.

• Upvote 11

21 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Not me in The Guardian mate, but I’ve read and been told of loads of cases which match if not exceed my experience of them to date, so there’s been plenty of us singing the same song. There are numerous patients of my clinical team who were listed for a double lung transplant and had been needing 2 week courses of inpatient IVs every 6 weeks for time, who received Kaftrio on compassionate grounds well before it became freely available on the NHS this winter. Many I know of now haven’t been in hospital needing any IVs for a year and are enjoying relative health they couldn’t have dreamt of. 

1F6B1D00-7E07-4934-A070-EF6441B5AEC1.thumb.jpeg.e83e14f24526c90e37696e9af5ffa087.jpeg

All very strange to have lived long enough to witness and benefit from, given the picture in the 1970’s and how new this treatment innovation is still. I’m grateful beyond words, while obviously thinking a lot about the many patients who haven’t enjoyed my good fortune and their families, and not wanting to be too crass given the pain so many are suffering due to Covid.

Wow that must be an amazing experience to have a constant weight be removed from your shoulders. 

The wonders of medicine. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

A ray of sunshine in an otherwise shite year. Glad you're doing so well mate. It promised so much, and it sounds like it's delivering.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

A ray of sunshine in an otherwise shite year. Glad you're doing so well mate. It promised so much, and it sounds like it's delivering.

Whether you know the person or not, it's one of life's great pleasures when you hear about someone who has had such a shit time either through illness or personal troubles having their life changed for the better.

It always gives you a lift.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Indeed. You never know, we might get that game of tennis in one day. Though I'm starting to wonder if you'll have transformed by then from Bob Fleming into prime Bjorn Borg.

I look a bit like Bjorn Borg in his prime these days - only with much, much better hair - but won't play like him unless he's in an iron lung now.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Harry's Lad said:

Whether you know the person or not, it's one of life's great pleasures when you hear about someone who has had such a shit time either through illness or personal troubles having their life changed for the better.

It always gives you a lift.

Cheers mate. All the best.

Best Film - Lovers Rock.
Best TV Programme - I May Destroy You
Best Album - Roisin Machine
Fittest Bird - Dua Lipa
Fittest Bloke - Jurgen.
Best Moment - No 20.
Worst Moment - Cancelling Christmas, amongst other things..

Best TLW Moment - Bruce Banner's care package to CD. Legendary.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, cochyn said:

Best Film - Lovers Rock.
Fittest Bird - Dua Lipa
Fittest Bloke - Jurgen.
Best Moment - No 20.

Is this next years? 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, cochyn said:

Best Film - Lovers Rock.
Fittest Bird - Dua Lipa
Fittest Bloke - Jurgen.
Best Moment - No 20.

Tell me about Bruce’s care package

14 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Astonishing; the marvels of modern medicine. I'm delighted for you and so many others. One of my closest friends lost a cousin to CF a few years back, he was in his early twenties, it was heartbreaking.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

I was planning on licking you if I ever met you but don’t think I’ll bother now if you no longer have salty skin. 

• Upvote 2