You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you think we should sell Keita?

Kevin D

Well?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

As Lee says above, a good offer and yes.

There might also be FA work permit criteria changes coming through that necessitate more English players being added to the squad (and, quality wise, that's a fairly shallow pool). Our forward line is entirely non-English at the moment, and I'd rather lose Keita than any of the front three. Or, as MR also says above, it would be a shame to lose Gini, who is a known deliverer of regular, quality, match-winning performances. 

The answer depends on when he’ll go and will we reinvest the money? 

Given our injuries this season, and that we’re probably unlikely to reinvest until the summer, I’d say keep for now, review in the summer. 

If we’re going to reinvest in January, I’d be inclined to cash in now.

I suppose in answer to the OP, I’d say I’m undecided and review in the summer.

However, if his situation remains as it has for the previous 2.5 years up to June, I’m 100% in the sell camp.

Definitely sell him. There's a player in there somewhere but we're never going to find it unfortunately, best to cut our losses and move on. Even if he was just inconsistent and infuriating I'd be willing to keep him as a squad option but his appalling injury record means he is just a liability.

There is absolutely no argument whatsoever to sell Matip. He's one of the top 10 centre backs in the league, if not top 5.

Keita played very well at Palace. Doesn't really pull his weight generally. If selling him means we can meet Wijnaldum's contract demands then its a no brainer to push for more leagues on the bounce.

We've seen glimpses of Keita's ability over the past couple of years, but he's never really got going. He's yet to get to grips with the physical demands of Klopp's system and the English game as a whole, and our best midfield set-ups have never included him because of this.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

The answer depends on when he’ll go and will we reinvest the money? 

Given our injuries this season, and that we’re probably unlikely to reinvest until the summer, I’d say keep for now, review in the summer. 

If we’re going to reinvest in January, I’d be inclined to cash in now.

I suppose in answer to the OP, I’d say I’m undecided and review in the summer.

However, if his situation remains as it has for the previous 2.5 years up to June, I’m 100% in the sell camp.

To clarify, I meant selling him the summer.

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

There is absolutely no argument whatsoever to sell Matip. He's one of the top 10 centre backs in the league, if not top 5.

Don't agree

You cannot rely on him to be fit, He has played around 50% of the games since he has been here, if he could stay fit then yes its a no brainer. But he is paid a fortune for a player we just can't rely on. Again like others of the right offer is there and we can get a good replacement then i would sell. The age of the squad needs revamped in the next few years and at 30 at the start of next season,on big wages he is a prime candidate to move on now

Just now, deiseach said:

When he was signed, the hope was that he'd help the push for consistently finishing in the top 4. The club he arrived at viewed not winning the European Cup as a disappointment. I think he'd be a success at that other club. 

He wouldn't, due to never being fit.

• Upvote 1

Keita played very well at Palace. 

He really didn't. He just wasn't typically abject. "Very well" and "Keita" should never be seen in the same sentence unless the preceding question is "Boss, can I leave?" 

Anyway, where's the option that I'll pay some fucker to take him? We're giving him loads of money to occupy the sick bay and generally do fuck all. 

• Upvote 2