You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carragher: Salah interview was a message to owners over new contract

TLW

Jamie Carragher believes Mo Salah has given the club owners a none too subtle hint that he is looking for a big new contract.

The Egyptian superstar gave a wide ranging interview to Spanish publication last week in which he touched on hoping to break more records at Liverpool, links with Barcelona and Real Madrid and being disappointed not being given the armband for the final Champions League fixture against FC Midtjylland.

It was that last statement that raised a fair few eyebrows and in the week before Christmas which is usually pretty quiet for storylines, this was a early present for the Football writers, even leading Jurgen Klopp to clarify matters once and all.

Writing on the matter for the Telegraph (per Metro), Reds legend Jamie Carragher believes that Salah’s comment about the captaincy was odd as he should not have been looking to play in a dead rubber fixture.

“Salah’s recent interview feeds that idea his career comes first. His comments about being upset not to be made captain in a dead rubber against Midtjylland underlined it. They were odd. I like most fans – did not think he should be playing in an inconsequential game, never mind be the skipper.

“The timing of the player initiating transfer stories is also strange. My view is it was a message to Liverpool’s owners to offer him a lucrative new deal.

Over the past decade, the likes of Javier Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Fernando Torres, Luis Suarez, Raheem Sterling and Philippe Coutinho have been lured away while still in their prime years.

Carragher feels that Liverpool are in such a strong position that in terms of poaching their players, teams like Real Madrid and Barcelona do not pose a threat anymore.

'Seeing their players being courted by the La Liga clubs would have concerned Liverpool five years ago. ‘Not now. I am not convinced Madrid and Barca can afford Salah. Investing well in excess of £125 million on a player who will turn 29 this summer is not good business.

salah4_600.jpg

“ No-one leaving Liverpool today can say they will improve their chances of winning trophies. Philippe Coutinho’s experience at the Nou Camp tells us that. ‘Liverpool can dominate in England and Europe – or certainly challenge for the Premier League and Champions League – every season Klopp is in charge.

In terms of his career, Carra feels that Mo is underrated by some, but can go on to well and truly cement his legacy.

“Salah may be one of the most underrated Liverpool players in the club’s history. I know how contentious that sounds. Salah is loved by supporters. He is already a club legend. 

“Fitness permitting, Salah is guaranteed to score over 200 goals and continue to break records if he stays on Merseyside for his prime years."

View full article

2 hours ago, TLW said:

“Fitness permitting, Salah is guaranteed to score over 200 goals and continue to break records if he stays on Merseyside for his prime years."

I ... I hate to break it to Carragher, but he already stayed on Merseyside or his prime years.

He'll be 29 next summer, it's all downhill from here. Not saying he'll instantly be rubbish - he'll still be a very good player for a few years, but to suggest that his peak is ahead of him is fanciful.

5 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I ... I hate to break it to Carragher, but he already stayed on Merseyside or his prime years.

He'll be 29 next summer, it's all downhill from here. Not saying he'll instantly be rubbish - he'll still be a very good player for a few years, but to suggest that his peak is ahead of him is fanciful.

Carragher is not that good at what he does in the media,fantastic player for the club but not much different from the procession of ex players saying stuff without really saying much.

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

He would be an absolutely massive miss. If he would sign a new contract write one up but with Klopp how attractive a club we are im less worried about losing top players than previously. Klopp is the superstar.

Oh, Code's not going to like that.

They're not going to like that at all.

7 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

While I am not defending Coutinho,but didnt he win the Champions League with Bayern while on loan? Probably not a great example. 

That was more by accident than design, as he left us to join Barcelona, and it was only because he was out of favour there, that he was at Bayern in the first place. That said, Bayern would have won that without him as well.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

phlegmy.gif

tenor-15.gif

Look closely at the angle he spat at.

If you pause it when his mouth goes and look at the wind speed on the M62 that weekend, there's no way it could have come from that direction and landed.

Take a step back and look into it, loads of very credible meteorologist - even an ex NASA man - say there has to have been a second spitter.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Look closely at the angle he spat at.

If you pause it when his mouth goes and look at the wind speed on the M62 that weekend, there's no way it could have come from that direction and landed.

Take a step back and look into it, loads of very credible meteorologist - even an ex NASA man - say there has to have been a second spitter.

Late contender for post of the year.