You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Brom (H) - Premier League - 27/12/2020 - 16:30

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Say it quietly but TAA's delivery this year for the most part has been well below the standard he has set. Compare his to the balls Robertson flashed across the box all game - Salah should have scored 2.

Trent started the season poorly, then seemed to get better by the game until he was injured. After that he’s been poor to average again. Today he didnt look too interested, just strolled around and gave it away a number of times. Him and Robbo were about the same level last season, so far this season Robbo has looked ten times the player Trent has.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mark M said:

I was surprised our energy levels were so bad seeing as we had 8 days off 

I dont think energy levels were an issue. I think we just set off at a slow tempo because of the numbers they had behind the ball. Plus with Anfield being a smallish pitch, it makes it harder to stretch the play.

We were very flat today and not creative enough. Two shots on target isn't good enough and in many ways, we got what we deserved.

The last 2 or 3 season's have seen insane levels of points and performances. 100, 99, 98, and 97 points from ourselves and City. This is not the norm and is unsustainable. I think I'm right in saying that it's the four highest points totals from a 38 game season?

Both ourselves and City have dropped off to a more normal level now and considering the injuries we have had we have done incredibly well to be top after 15 games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

I don’t think Klopp got anything wrong really.  They played a 6-4-0 in the first half.  It’s hard to break that down and we did.  What followed was some of our players thinking the game was there for their own personal stats.  We were a victim of circumstance in the second half.  Caught between playing our natural game of just constantly pressuring the opposition and trying to pass out the second half by not giving them easy counters by playing risky passes in their half.

The problem with that when you’ve got young players on is that they are more liable to make a mistake like Jones did.  People saying Jones had a bad game though are also mental.  He did the job our midfielders are meant to do.  He gave the ball away once cheaply in the first half and made that colossal error in the second half which led to their goal.

He gave the ball away loads. 

4 minutes ago, corro said:

I know. Better goal difference too.Happy with that. Going well so far. 

Yep, crazy how much success/quality we have had over the last 30 months.

Any season previous to that if you told me we would be top of the league by three points would have been over the moon. Now it seems disappointing. Weird game.

• Upvote 1

That's six points dropped against shit teams where we've played like we can't be arsed. Brighton, Fulham, now these shithouses. You can blame injuries and poor refereeing all you want but the players on the pitch in all three games have had more than enough ability to win.

If we don't win the league this year, and I'm starting to think we won't, it will be because of performances like this one.

20 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

That's six points dropped against shit teams where we've played like we can't be arsed. Brighton, Fulham, now these shithouses. You can blame injuries and poor refereeing all you want but the players on the pitch in all three games have had more than enough ability to win.

If we don't win the league this year, and I'm starting to think we won't, it will be because of performances like this one.

Dont remember us play at Brighton like we couldnt be arsed to be honest.

Another two points dropped against dross.

Not for the first time, we struggled against a packed defence and didn’t really hurt them.

There’s no way we can produce Palace level performances every week, and anyone as old as I am won’t be surprised that this was so different in both the level of finishing and the result, seen it happen so many times in the past, but it still rankles that Allerdici can set up a team so negatively and still get away with a point.

Thiago may have been the one to unlock their blanket defence more often than the once when Mane scored. Jota might have anticipated a chance or two more than the three out there and finished them better had he been there. But neither of them were fit and so the point is moot.

Matip has now got to be replaced in January, it was bad enough we took a chance on not signing another centre back in the summer when Lovren went, but to not sign one now we have the three that were left behind injured would be inviting City, United, Chelsea or even worse, Everton to help themselves to a title that really should be ours, and before you all start laughing about Everton, remember Leicester were being laughed at around this time in the season when they eventually won it.

It’s wide open unless we grab it by the scruff of the neck and shake the others off, and performances like today are exactly why we shouldn’t take anything for granted.

I bet Klopp isn’t.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

The near wins of last season are becoming draws. We won a lot of games very much on the margins last season and it's turned around. 

The next two won't be easy. Newcastle are mediocre but still rarely easy at their place and Southampton are very decent. 6 points from them and it really could be a lot worse from the three festive games though this one is hard to take. We were never going to get a points total like the last two seasons with all our injuries and there will be more results like today I feel. Other teams will drop silly points also.

The good news is that it's January in a few days and it's our hands about buying a defender. Frankly would be ridiculous not to and one thing FSG isn't is daft. 

6 hours ago, El Rojo said:

And still top. Absolutely bizarre season. 

Also, while Villa, Fulham and West Brom fully deserved their results, we were robbed of wins against Everton and Brighton. 

This feels like 2008/2009 all over again. We needed this win to build a small buffer to City, they're a solid team despite having started slowly and I expect them to kick on soon.

Eh no one's getting to me, I've just got PTSD from years of underperformance and death by a thousand drawn matches. Will take more than 1 league title to negate all that trauma. On the plus side I can't see any team (ourselves included) hitting the 90 point mark this season so we really just need to keep within touching distance of City until April, a draw here and there shouldn't be too damaging so long as we make up for it against the other "contenders".