You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Brom (H) - Premier League - 27/12/2020 - 16:30

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Today just brings sharply into focus the one thing that can and unless we address it will stop us winning title - and that one thing is having to play midfielders and kids at centre half.

You are going to get days when forwards can't finish or you just struggle to create a lot and you need a clean sheet to get vital points......over a long, long season having no proper centre halves is going to mean you get found out like today and a vital couple of points go begging.

It does not matter how good Fabinho is as cover or how talented the kids are - it isn't the same top, top class and it will get exposed just enough times when it matters, it won't be many times because we are very good and don't need to rely on clean sheets all that much, but it will be just those handful of times and in a tight race it will likely be decisive.

We have to sort a top drawer centre half in Jan - the long term replacement for Matip, who as good a player as he is is useless to us.....we have to replace him and bolster the depleted ranks at centre half this month, preferably over next week.

If we don't it is massive negligence and in my view will cost us the title.

Unless we’re expecting Van Dijk back by the end of January, there has to be a top class signing, even if it means paying the same sort of money. I just can’t see us lasting the distance with a makeshift defensive merry-go-round; we’ll be inviting a battle for third while the Manc clubs occupy the top positions.

2 minutes ago, Manny said:

Point out where I said we played well. We didn’t. I’m just saying that, as poor as we were, they were shit and created one chance and one half chance, yet that’s somehow a tactical masterclass? Digging in deep?

One more goes in in the first half and it’s a bumming. That’s on us, not on gravypot’s “science” approach.

Masterclass is overrused, but yes, finishing with more shots on target and getting a draw against a team of our pedigree with the shower of shite he has, was pretty damn impressive by Big Sam. Don't listen to the pundits if you don't want to hear him get praised, but he did his job.

Unfortunately for me the sport is in the tank overall. VAR, dodgy refs, no fans - just not really much passion in it anymore - even when we play well it is all a little deflated.

The last proper game of footy anywhere was the CL final against Spurs - just a bit meh all around and that has nothing to do with the performance today, it is just the way it is now.

Bit harsh to blame that on Curtis but you want to play at the top level, you've got to use your brain and be decisive. And I thought he along with too many were not decisive today.

Trent did fuck all and looked like he was saving himself for the upcoming games. Nearly every one of his crosses was poor and frequently he just patted the ball back to hendo when he got the ball.

Matip, what can you say? He doesnt move fluidly when he runs. Maybe it's his gait? Mo looked like he couldnt trap a bag of cement in a phone box today. Sadio, brilliantly taken goal then not a lot else. Bobby, the same, too many backheels again. Gini was absent and Id say the only ones to come through that game with a positive are Fabinho, Hendo, Robbo, Alli for a great stop and young Rhys.

The game was like one of those FA Cup ties against a League Two side who doesnt want to give it a go so it's just pass, pass, pass, pass, pass in front of the oppos box. This is where I think we fall down compared to city. We seem happy to pass it back and forth across the box while they'll drive forward and have a few shots.

By the time you get to half time, the tempo of the game is set and it's hard to speed it up. Sky cunts can say their goal was coming. Well yeah even I know teams that sit deep all game wait until about the 70th minute then try and catch you because that's their only option if they want to rescue a point.

Curtis fucked up once he turned back to his own goal, seemed to panic and hit the ball at the nearest West brom player. They got the spawniest of breaks from the corner when the ball hit the post, missed Alli but the spin on it took it over the line.

No other way to look at it, 2 points dropped, we would have got 3 but for Curtis' fuck up. Need to win our next 2 games. Oh and word to the coaching staff, dont leave young Williams as the last man, he hasnt got the pace.

1 minute ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Unless we’re expecting Van Dijk back by the end of January, there has to be a top class signing, even if it means paying the same sort of money. I just can’t see us lasting the distance with a makeshift defensive merry-go-round; we’ll be inviting a battle for third while the Manc clubs occupy the top positions.

It is the knock on effect to midfield as well, losing Fabinho in there because he has to play at back.

Unless Matip suddenly reverses what is a well established pattern of not being fit then we simply can't go on hoping with 3 centre halves and 1 of them being Matip.

It simply has to change.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We have a mental block against the worst teams in the league now. No question about it. There's a misplaced arrogance and lack of humility.

I think the problem is that the player we brought in to unlock against these bus parking fucking teams hasn’t been available since the derby. 

He shouldn’t be the only option we have, but it is a factor. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Masterclass is overrused, but yes, finishing with more shots on target and getting a draw against a team of our pedigree with the shower of shite he has, was pretty damn impressive by Big Sam.

It’s a great point for them, no doubt and no argument. It’s as much found as it is earned though given we had more chances and they’re indebted to great saves, last ditch blocks, deflections and inept refereeing, yet the credit will entirely go to Allardyce: listening to galaxy brain Bobby Zamora they played us off the park.

Oh and I stand by it. That header for their goal? If it was one of ours Friend would have blown up in a microsecond. He was as fucking shit as our second half performance was.

• Upvote 1

Poor game management today, C.Jones kept giving the ball away carelessly in both halfs and it cost us in the end.

Not sure I understand why R.Williams came on instead of N.Phillips either. 

The decision making from our players after the equaliser was abysmal, fucking shocking if Im honest. 

Fuck this game, fuck Sam Allardyce, fuck Everton, fuck Richarlison and fuck Jordan Pickford, oh and fuck West Brom. 

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Masterclass is overrused, but yes, finishing with more shots on target and getting a draw against a team of our pedigree with the shower of shite he has, was pretty damn impressive by Big Sam.

Packing 10 defenders into the box for most of the 90 minutes isn't any sort of masterclass. 

Happy to help. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Didn't know Shaqiri was on the bench. I would've brought him on as the first or second sub. He could've offered a bit of creativity and unpredictability and a danger ftom set pieces. AOC and Origi didn't offer much, even if the latter was only on the pitch for a few minutes. 

We have to be given them by the PGMOL numpty first.

Mane and Salah just don’t want to pass the ball to each other.  When we are playing these shit teams they see it as easy and think their goals are more important than the win.  Suddenly we get an injury and we are going late into a game 1-0 up.

I would have preferred to see Nat Phillips come on.  Williams is just too slow.  As soon as they had that chance we started to play safer and safer because we couldn’t risk leaving him exposed again.  Jones needs to learn from that. He’s been great recently but it was a massively lazy pass that gave them an in.

2 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

AOC should have been wearing a West Brom shirt the number of times he gave them the ball.

That's the problem with lauding a player who bangs In one now and again.  You're conveniently forgetting he's his head down running into blind alleys every game. 

Hopeless footballer with zero brain at all.  Always has been and always will be and him scoring between now and May won't change that. 

• Upvote 3