You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Female Artist - FINAL - PJ Harvey vs Kate Bush

Bjornebye

Greatest Female Artist - FINAL - PJ Harvey vs Kate Bush   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Female Artist - FINAL - PJ Harvey vs Kate Bush

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/12/20 at 19:00

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Someone who has never had a top 20 hit is in the final two for greatest female musician ever. Only on the GF.

It's 'greatest artist', not 'greatest musician'.

Using the top 20 singles chart as a barometer of either would be pretty ridiculous. The singles chart has always been loaded with shite.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mook said:

It's 'greatest artist', not 'greatest musician'.

Using the top 20 singles chart as a barometer of either would be pretty ridiculous. The singles chart has always been loaded with shite.

Bit of hair-splitting there, not one of the so-called artists in these polls isn't a musician.

The only thing I was using the popular charts for was as a gauge of popularity, and pointing out that it was very GF to pick someone as obscure as PJ Harvey as one of the two greatest female artists in history.

• Upvote 1

PJ Harvey is a sublime song writer IMO a song writer who has a breadth that is unparalleled...

How many artists have written songs ranging from being about pegging and violent hand jobs to infanticide to the Gallipoli campaign....

It is a song about the Gallipoli campaign i want to highlight as an example of her songcraft and writing ability.

I know a lot of people may be better read than i am about conflict/this conflict so apologies in advance if the commentary about the songs lyrics is not as informed as yours could be or comes across as stating the obvious, i just wnated to put it out there.

It is a song called "All and Everyone" from the album "Let England Shake"

PJ Harvey: "One of the conflicts that affected me a great deal was the Gallipoli campaign in the First World War. Something about the dreadful mismanagement and the shocking waste, needless waste, I thought about it a lot and it really affected me, because to me it had such resonance with the wars that are going on today."

This near six-minute track is one of three songs from the album Let England Shake that alludes to the 1915 battle for Gallipoli, a grotesquely bungled attempt to seize Constantinople, which wiped out much of the Australian and New Zealand Army.

Death was everywhere,
In the air
And in the sounds
Coming off the mounds
Of Bolton's Ridge.
Oh Death's anchorage.

Bolton’s Ridge was one of the ridges involved in the landing at Gallipoli, which she also references on the song “The Colour Of The Earth”.

Gallipoli was a brutal conflict. Lasting only eight months, it still saw over half a million deaths, averaging nearly one hundred per hour. Nearly half the Allied forces died, and the victorious Ottoman forces were even harder hit. Death was a constant reality.

When you rolled a smoke or told a joke
It was in the laughter and drinking water
It approached the beach as strings of cutters
Dropped into the sea and lay around us
Death was in the ancient fortress
Shelled by a million bullets
From gunners waiting in the copses
With hearts that threatened to pop their boxes
As we advanced into the sun
Death was all and everyone

Half of the British military assigned on the campaign were lost.
10% of the men died at this failure of a campaign.
Many also were plagued by disease, with 90, 000 leaving sick.
It was at the time the single worst military campaign in British history.

As we advancing in the sun
As we advancing every man

Death hung in the smoke
And clung to 400 acres of useless beach front
A bank of red earth, dripping down
Death is now and now and now

The Allies never made it much past the beach.
The ground attack began on April 25, when Allied soldiers landed simultaneously at various points near the mouth of the Dardanelles. British troops carved out a foothold at Cape Helles, the southernmost point of the Gallipoli Peninsula, located on the European side of the strait, and were soon reinforced by the French. But despite several bloody battles, they never managed to advance more than a few miles inland.

Death was everywhere
In the air
And in the sounds
Coming off the mounds
Of Bolton's Ridge.
Death's anchorage.
Death was in the staring sun,
Fixing its eyes on everyone.
It rattled the bones of the Night Horsemen
Still lying out there in the open
As we, advancing in the sun
As we, advancing every man
Sing "Death to all and everyone."

During the Battle of the Nek on 7 August 1915, two regiments of the Australian 3rd Light Horse Brigade mounted a futile bayonet attack on the Ottoman trenches and suffered heavy casualties.

It's a beautiful song.....it is a perfect example for me of absolutely fantsastic song writing from in my book the greatest song writer of her generation.

Listen to the song here:

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Bit of hair-splitting there, not one of the so-called artists in these polls isn't a musician.

The only thing I was using the popular charts for was as a gauge of popularity, and pointing out that it was very GF to pick someone as obscure as PJ Harvey as one of the two greatest female artists in history.

I think there's a significant difference between an artist & a musician. A lot of the great musicians are in classical orchestras playing pre-written music.

David Bowie is a great artist but he wouldn't last five minutes in a jazz group.

Clearly there are people who are great musicians & great artists simultaneously though.

21 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Someone who has never had a top 20 hit is in the final two for greatest female musician ever. Only on the GF.

In fairness, Bob Dylan doesn’t often bother the top 20, but you'd be hard pushed to argue that he didn't deserve his place in the men's final.

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

In fairness, Bob Dylan doesn’t often bother the top 20, but you'd be hard pushed to argue that he didn't deserve his place in the men's final.

Only six top-ten hits, but his nine Number 1 albums probably compensate for that.

28 minutes ago, an tha said:

PJ Harvey is a sublime song writer IMO a song writer who has a breadth that is unparalleled...

How many artists have written songs ranging from being about pegging and violent hand jobs to infanticide to the Gallipoli campaign....

It is a song about the Gallipoli campaign i want to highlight as an example of her songcraft and writing ability.

I know a lot of people may be better read than i am about conflict/this conflict so apologies in advance if the commentary about the songs lyrics is not as informed as yours could be or comes across as stating the obvious, i just wnated to put it out there.

It is a song called "All and Everyone" from the album "Let England Shake"

PJ Harvey: "One of the conflicts that affected me a great deal was the Gallipoli campaign in the First World War. Something about the dreadful mismanagement and the shocking waste, needless waste, I thought about it a lot and it really affected me, because to me it had such resonance with the wars that are going on today."

This near six-minute track is one of three songs from the album Let England Shake that alludes to the 1915 battle for Gallipoli, a grotesquely bungled attempt to seize Constantinople, which wiped out much of the Australian and New Zealand Army.

Death was everywhere,
In the air
And in the sounds
Coming off the mounds
Of Bolton's Ridge.
Oh Death's anchorage.

Bolton’s Ridge was one of the ridges involved in the landing at Gallipoli, which she also references on the song “The Colour Of The Earth”.

Gallipoli was a brutal conflict. Lasting only eight months, it still saw over half a million deaths, averaging nearly one hundred per hour. Nearly half the Allied forces died, and the victorious Ottoman forces were even harder hit. Death was a constant reality.

When you rolled a smoke or told a joke
It was in the laughter and drinking water
It approached the beach as strings of cutters
Dropped into the sea and lay around us
Death was in the ancient fortress
Shelled by a million bullets
From gunners waiting in the copses
With hearts that threatened to pop their boxes
As we advanced into the sun

Half of the British military assigned on the campaign were lost.
10% of the men died at this failure of a campaign.
Many also were plagued by disease, with 90, 000 leaving sick.
It was at the time the single worst military campaign in British history.

As we advancing every man

Death hung in the smoke
And clung to 400 acres of useless beach front
A bank of red earth, dripping down
Death is now and now and now

The Allies never made it much past the beach.
The ground attack began on April 25, when Allied soldiers landed simultaneously at various points near the mouth of the Dardanelles. British troops carved out a foothold at Cape Helles, the southernmost point of the Gallipoli Peninsula, located on the European side of the strait, and were soon reinforced by the French. But despite several bloody battles, they never managed to advance more than a few miles inland.

Death was everywhere
In the air
And in the sounds
Coming off the mounds
Of Bolton's Ridge.
Death's anchorage.
Death was in the staring sun,
Fixing its eyes on everyone.
It rattled the bones of the Night Horsemen
Still lying out there in the open
As we, advancing every man
Sing "Death to all and everyone."

During the Battle of the Nek on 7 August 1915, two regiments of the Australian 3rd Light Horse Brigade mounted a futile bayonet attack on the Ottoman trenches and suffered heavy casualties.

It's a beautiful song.....it is a perfect example for me of absolutely fantsastic song writing from in my book the greatest song writer of her generation.

Listen to the song here:

Nice write up mate.

The song The Band Played Waltzing Matilda is about Gallipoli - it's a great song. I'm most familiar with The Pogues version.