You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Biden

Dougie Do'ins

Never ceases to amaze me the US has a minimum age limit of 37, I believe for anyone to be President. Probably because the founding fathers considered it was a sagely age and anyone under 37 didnt have the breadth of view to do the job.

Meanwhile, there's no upper age limit for candidates taking up office when they could be hit by all sorts of mental afflictions such as senility, dementia etc.

Biden is getting a good kicking over this and his blame shifting in the US even from Democrat organs.

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

I think going there in the first place was the error , not Biden's withdrawal.

Yep it was. But he blindsided everyone with the withdrawal. Apparently the Afghan military were unaware of the timelines. The US did all flights and aircraft support as well as US contractors providing vehicle and plane service and support. Apparently there was a rapid night time withdrawal which left the Afghans without any means of aircraft support. I have a feeling that this decision was not driven by Biden alone somehow.

It's the US so I'm sure there were loads of mistakes and mis-moves but they left the Afghans outnumbering the Taliban by about 5 or 6 times , much better trained and with much better weaponry. In those circumstances you might have expected some fight particularly if they were desperately worried about the fate of their women folk.

No comparison IMO between Biden and Trump. Biden is business as usual, for better or worse, Trump advocated injecting bleach to kill Covid and appointed a property developer to head up the middle East peace process. Biden cares about his version of America, Trump cared about Trump, to the point where his own intelligence services considered him a threat. Surely a world first.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Yep it was. But he blindsided everyone with the withdrawal. Apparently the Afghan military were unaware of the timelines. The US did all flights and aircraft support as well as US contractors providing vehicle and plane service and support. Apparently there was a rapid night time withdrawal which left the Afghans without any means of aircraft support. I have a feeling that this decision was not driven by Biden alone somehow.

They announced months ago they will be out by the anniversary of 9/11.

No doubt it was handled badly but as sir roger says,the bulk of responsibility lies with those who went in,in the first place.

As for biden and trump..my money would be on the non mysogonistic lying corrupt man child fuckwit.

17 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Biden cares about his version of America, Trump cared about Trump

The second bit is definitely true.

Biden, however, looks about six months away from sharing most of the characteristics of a parsnip. I reckon he cares about not pissing himself on national television.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

They announced months ago they will be out by the anniversary of 9/11.

No doubt it was handled badly but as sir roger says,the bulk of responsibility lies with those who went in,in the first place.

As for biden and trump..my money would be on the non mysogonistic lying corrupt man child fuckwit.

They could have kept a small amount of advisors there as they did in Korea . Whilst they had feet on the ground the Afghan defence force needed air support, this capability  disappeared overnight because the US had controlled all of that section.  As for Biden or Trump I dont think choosing the lesser of 2 idiots is much of a choice. The scarier thought is that when eventually the Democrats realise Biden is a basket case Harris will succeed him.

10 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

They could have kept a small amount of advisors there as they did in Korea . Whilst they had feet on the ground the Afghan defence force needed air support, this capability  disappeared overnight because the US had controlled all of that section.  As for Biden or Trump I dont think choosing the lesser of 2 idiots is much of a choice. The scarier thought is that when eventually the Democrats realise Biden is a basket case Harris will succeed him.

Harris is a better option than both of them. 

11 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

I thought they agreed they would leave no presence there?

Why is Harris so bad?

Personally I wouldnt say biden was in the same stratosphere as trump when it came to levels of idiocy.

Trump ran and won in large part as the lesser of two evils. He also ran on the plank of get out of foreign wars. I'm sure most on here understand that the Afghanistan pullout was decided and in motion well before Biden even took office, but hey, he's old so...

Term limits in the Senate and House are the only way forward - it is ridiculous that a fella like McConnell, from a state like Kentucky that ranks amongst the lowest in education and income and amongst the highest for federal subsidy, can for decades play spoiler on the national stage.

I don't get it, this deal was agreed by Trump 18 months ago. If Biden had walked back on it, wouldn't they have just got into more strife with the Taliban probably dragging whatever ground army was left into more skirmishes and further loss of life?

They've decided to cut their losses but the real fault lies with those going to war in the first place and then the years in between in not putting together a strategy that could have delivered longer term stability.

5 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Fuck thats no recommendation is it? She actually dropped out of the presidential race cos she was nowhere even in her home state I believe.  

I think the point I'm making and have been all day is that pretty much anyone is a better option than donald fucking trump. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I think the point I'm making and have been all day is that pretty much anyone is a better option than donald fucking trump. 

Fair enough and the point Im making is that its pretty sad that the US  can only put forward those 2 as nominations and that saying at least Biden isnt Trump doesnt make it better.

• 1 month later...
On 19/08/2021 at 11:18, dockers_strike said:

Never ceases to amaze me the US has a minimum age limit of 37, I believe for anyone to be President. Probably because the founding fathers considered it was a sagely age and anyone under 37 didnt have the breadth of view to do the job.

Meanwhile, there's no upper age limit for candidates taking up office when they could be hit by all sorts of mental afflictions such as senility, dementia etc.

Biden is getting a good kicking over this and his blame shifting in the US even from Democrat organs.

Minimum age limit is 35 but yes I agree that there should be a maximum age limit.

It's 35 in Ireland also. We had a referendum in 2015 to reduce it to 21 and it was defeated 73% to 27%. We have a president in the middle of a 7 year term who will be 84 at the end of it. While only ceremonial, and Michael D remaining spry, 84 as a head of state is fairly ridiculous.