You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rhys Williams

Lee909

I remember Lovren being bullied to within an inch of his life by Kane. On many occasions. 

This kid did brilliantly considering the circumstances. Not a stats man but he must have beaten Kane in the air 5 or 6 times. Spurs thrive on that shit, little knock ons and quick one twos around the box. You stop that at source if you beat Kane. Well in. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Watch it instead of being a sly bellend.

I watched it plenty last night. I don't need to again. I think he was poor. I don't think he looks like he can play regularly at this level at this time - and once people plan for him being there, he'd be in real trouble. I realise he's 19 and that's fine - he shouldn't need to be ready now, but he is way too raw and I don't really need to see it any other way. Some players at 19 can be dropped in a look like they belong. Jones I think is an example of this. But on what I've seen before tonight and that performance , I would say Rhys is less ready for this level than Neco - and Neco isn't really ready either and would be in trouble if we needed him for the rest of the season. Like it or not, we're going to need our 5th choice centre back in most of the games left, as matip can't stay fit and the other 2 won't be back. 

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I watched it plenty last night. I don't need to again. I think he was poor. I don't think he looks like he can play regularly at this level at this time - and once people plan for him being there, he'd be in real trouble. I realise he's 19 and that's fine - he shouldn't need to be ready now, but he is way too raw and I don't really need to see it any other way. Some players at 19 can be dropped in a look like they belong. Jones I think is an example of this. But on what I've seen before tonight and that performance , I would say Rhys is less ready for this level than Neco - and Neco isn't really ready either and would be in trouble if we needed him for the rest of the season. Like it or not, we're going to need our 5th choice centre back in most of the games left, as matip can't stay fit and the other 2 won't be back. 

I think you're judging him against the idea of starting every game (which he might have to admittedly) and others are judging him against what's expected when a 5th/6th choice player has to step up (which pretty much never happens). If his level was "good enough" to play every week for a title winning side, he wouldn't be 5th/6th choice. He's young, and as such, pretty much all potential and little experience.

Can I ask a question, not sarcastically? Did you expect him to do better than he did?

29 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You're completely entitled to your opinion. The point I am getting at is that he didn't make numerous mistakes that lead to chance. In particular on the goal, he was not at fault. I've read numerous match reports and listened to a couple of post-match podcasts, and you're pretty much on your own in being so critical.

I don't think he's ready. I don't know a 19 year old CB that has been ready for the Premier League in recent memory.

32 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I think you're judging him against the idea of starting every game (which he might have to admittedly) and others are judging him against what's expected when a 5th/6th choice player has to step up (which pretty much never happens). If his level was "good enough" to play every week for a title winning side, he wouldn't be 5th/6th choice. He's young, and as such, pretty much all potential and little experience.

Can I ask a question, not sarcastically? Did you expect him to do better than he did?

I am absolutely judging him based on the idea he might have to play 25 CL & PL matches this season. I didn't see anything in his performance that suggested that would be beneficial for us (or him for that matter, it destroys young players playing them before they're ready). 

No, I didn't expect him to do better than he did - I expected that level of performance considering he's 19 and was playing for kidderminster last season - but it was for me very much a Kidderminister performance. I am not trying to "blame" him for his performance, I am more trying to say I don't think a Kidderminster level player should be a regular for Liverpool - which he pretty much might have to be if we don't buy. 

I thought he was excellent last night. Composed on the ball, assured in his distribution and there when he needed to be.

His headers were sometimes a bit wild, but on occasion cushioned to perfection. And he won a lot of important headers.

In terms of positioning, I'm not trained to spot these things, but I certainly didn't see him getting 'caught out'.

45 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That pass to Robertson out to the left and that through ball to Salah, where he dispossessed Kane at the same time were pure Kidderminster. 

I need to see it again but I thought the pas to Salah was more a tackle than a pass.

15 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

All of that and probably more - mentioned it in the match thread - noticeably taller than both Klopp and Alisson as well.

Yes and whilst he’s potentially got another 12-18 months growth in him, he’s about at the sweet spot now, much taller and he risks being too ungainly. 

23 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think I said they would. They also probably wouldn't do much worse, because he was pretty awful. If we'd had lost 2 or 3 - 1 last night, which could easily happen if berg(can't spell the rest) had taken his chances, this forum would have been in meltdown, Williams would have taken the brunt of the abuse and the transfer thread would be everyone going on how we need loads of centre backs. But because spurs fucked up golden opportunities and Bobby grabbed a late winner, there's pats on the back all round. It was the lads 1st premier league start and he was playing at Kidderminster last season, so I didn't expect anything from him. But he didn't have one moment in that game where he didn't look like a lad who should be playing at Kidderminster. 

Glass.png

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think I said they would. They also probably wouldn't do much worse, because he was pretty awful. If we'd had lost 2 or 3 - 1 last night, which could easily happen if berg(can't spell the rest) had taken his chances, this forum would have been in meltdown, Williams would have taken the brunt of the abuse and the transfer thread would be everyone going on how we need loads of centre backs. But because spurs fucked up golden opportunities and Bobby grabbed a late winner, there's pats on the back all round. It was the lads 1st premier league start and he was playing at Kidderminster last season, so I didn't expect anything from him. But he didn't have one moment in that game where he didn't look like a lad who should be playing at Kidderminster.