You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Palace (A) - Premier League - 19/12/20 - 12:30

Bjornebye

Top of the league the last 3 Christmas'. 3 points, a clean sheet and 7 goals, what's not to like? Must admit Ive had a soft spot for palace since the 60's although they have tested my patience more than a few times when we've played them.

They arent a pretentious London club like some I could mention and I used to like their old strip.

The first half was a bit of a smash and grab because although we started well and Taki scored after a couple of minutes, either we went a bit meh or Palace really got hold of the game. We were giving the ball away for fun and palace were putting us under a lot of pressure especially in front of our box.

Fortunately, they were pretty toothless in attack. We managed to either just get a toe to their final ball or Alli gobbled everything up easily. In fact, I dont recollect Alli having to make a serious save all game.

We'd had good possession of the ball but hadnt really done much with it. Then a breakaway saw Sadio end his goalscoring drought with persistence and a neat finish. It wasnt quite against the run of play but in some ways seemed it.

Next on the stroke of half time Bobby scored to effectively seal the 3 points. I think this was the one Bobby deftly finished with the outside of his boot. At 2-0 I was thinking next goal wins it so Bobby's finish settled my nerves!

2nd half was a completely different game. Palace huffed and puffed but never really put us under any pressure. Once again I got the feeling careless balls by us was giiving them too many opportunities to break against us but maybe Im being harsh?

Next on the scoresheet was Captain Fantastic with what should have been his 2nd goal of the season but we wont dwell on that. Lovely flighted finish by him. Bobby chipped in for his second and what looked a tight angle. Who cares, it let's us see Bobby's gleaming teeth with that smile of his.

Poor Sadio had a gob on him when subbed. I can understand his frustration as he's probably thinking he could get another goal but surely he knows it's nothing personal and Jurgen has to give players a breather?

Mo came on grabbed a couple. The first a lovely ball by Ox and the second a short range nod in that gave the keeper no chance. Myself, I think it's great to see Ox back on the pitch and contributing tothe team. I know some would be more than happy to see the lad shipped out but I just dont get it. He offers an attacking outlet from midfield and scores goals.

It was good there was no VAR shite to debate and funny as fuck that despite 3 second half goals, a couple of subs and treatment for cahill, the fat ref put palace out of their misery with just a minute injury time. I reckon he'd have given at least 5 minutes if the score had been 3-2 to us.

Apparently that was our biggest league win away since 1896! What a fucking team and what a reposte to all the oppo fan gobshites.

Merry Christmas reds, wherever you are!

• Upvote 1

On 16/12/2020 at 22:36, Trumo said:

If we adopt the right mentality and can add some clinical precision and ruthlessness to our attacks, we can continue to lead the pack.

And so it was thus.

'Ruthless' is the best description of that performance. We scored 7, but probably had about 10 good chances in all. Palace caused one or two problems in the first half but after going in 3-0 down, they were all about damage limitation in the second. We just slowed the game down and only added tempo when we felt a chance was on.

Taki scoring early gave us the platform to stay composed and look to counter rather than dominate possession. With the sequence of games we've had recently, it's been necessary from time to time to let the opposition have the ball and try and break us down instead. We didn't do it properly at Fulham, and there were one or two hairy moments in the first half here, but overall we managed this game extremely well.

Sadio finally broke his goal drought with a really well-taken goal, and Bobby added the icing late in the first half with a goal of absolute class. That was just deft stuff. He scored with an even better finish in the second. Hendo curled in for his first of the season, and there was time for a cameo from Mo. A good header from a Big Bird knock down followed by a brilliant effort into the far top corner.

Sadio had a bit of a sulk upon getting subbed but it's because he felt there were more goals for him today. He probably would have got at least one more if he'd stayed on. I don't mind him and Mo sulking after being subbed like this as long as it's because of disappointment that they still had more to give. The problem would be when they get subbed off having had a stinker.

I think that is our biggest win of the PL era, home or away. I remember we beat Southampton 7-1 about twenty years ago, and we've had a few 6-0s since. We beat Palace 6-1 at Selhurst Park in our first game of 1994/95 too. That black and grey kit must be the first away kit to have seen us score seven goals AND ship seven.