You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Palace (A) - Premier League - 19/12/20 - 12:30

Bjornebye

We won this one last season. A 2-1 win in November 2019 thanks to goals from Sadio and Bobby. The game is perhaps memorable only for the VAR incident late in the first half that actually went in our favour. Palace played a free kick into the box and Cahill headed it in. However, Degsy (remember him?) was shoved in the back as he jumped to head away the cross.

It's a fixture that has been kind to us under Klopp. In his first full season in charge, we went to Selhurst Park for a 5:30 kick-off in late October 2016. We had those highlighter yellow/green away kits that we reminiscent of mid-90s Borussia Dortmund and quality players like Sammer, Moller, Chapuisat and Riedle. It was sort of an end-to-end game typical of us at the time - not solid enough at the back but highly dangerous going forward. Goals from Can, Degsy, Big Bird and Bobby brought us a 4-2 win in an entertaining contest.

At the time, Little Mix were number one with 'Shout Out To My Ex'. It's alright I guess. Familiar but not offensively so. People in their target market like teenage girls (or Code) may disagree, but I'm not exactly slagging it or Little Mix off even though they are part of the Cowell manufactured machine.

Back to the Palace game. It's an early kick-off that'll be live on BT Sport. I've no idea if Palace will look to counter with pace and directness, or via the aerial route. If the latter, then Nat Phillips might be the go-to option to start, assuming Big Bird doesn't make it (again). I wouldn't expect Palace to play on the front foot as that just isn't their manager's style.

In our case, we can't shuffle the deck too much so it's a case of how intense we want to be. If we adopt the right mentality and can add some clinical precision and ruthlessness to our attacks, we can continue to lead the pack.

• Upvote 2

Always a tough fixture, last season’s win there was just the ultimate embodiment of this teams character. Concede in the 81st minute, to go up the end and get a stoppage time winner. The year before the 2-0 really underlined our title credentials, showed we were miserly at the back and weren’t going to give anything cheap away and we’re still lethal on the break.

Jesus, when you step back for a second and think about our level of consistency since December 2017. It’s absolutely phenomenal.

The idea of Jonathan Moss being in charge doesn't fill me with delight, but there's not many of them that I don't feel that way about. 

In other news, Anthony Taylor, of Greater Manchester, referees the Man U vs Dirty Leeds grudge match. (Without fans, it'll be pretty tame).