You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jobs you'd have loved if you were smart enough

Section_31

2 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

The rigs is great money, I’ve known about a dozen lads who have worked on them over the years. 

Every single one of them has been divorced, convicted of drunk driving and got fucked over financially on the divorce whilst it was commonly accepted the wives were all fucking around behind their backs. 

A mate was telling me there’s actually an online group for wives of rig workers who share tales of how to catch, marry and fuck over a rig worker. 

Yeah, I've known quite a few riggers too and the profession does seem to come with consequences.

6 hours ago, A Red said:

I would suggest that where you are financially is mainly down to the effort you have put in to get there. I'm not saying you could have worked harder. If you have had little ambition to move on and were happy to stay in a comfort zone you cannot blame anyone else other than yourself. I dont.

Absolute bollocks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I've the exact same mindset as Jeff Bezos and the like but my drive is aimed towards getting away with doing as little as possible often to the point it takes me more effort in the avoidance than it would the action, such is my drive. At achieving fuck all I've hit all my goals but I'm going to keep striving to rest on my laurels.

That's why I lament not becoming a gangster. Between the no shows and the no works, it would be paradise.

• Like 1

Peoples success follows a million different paths, certain attributes can improve your chances of it such as being a grafter, being smart or well connected, often it can just stem from saying yes or no at the right time or chance meetings even just taking a chance on yourself or others. Not being afraid to fail or when you fail it not stopping you from trying again.

Being connected and privileged aside either through family or blind luck like winning money,  i think the biggest factor to success is not being afraid or at the very least being afraid but doing it anyway. Luck would remain missed opportunity if you didn't have the foresight or bollocks to grab it and yet you can still be fearless and fail.  

Mostly though... moderate success not great wealth but decent living comes from how much you invest into it. I think that applies to most people, the person who invests in their skill set will likely earn more or feel more job satisfaction than the person who doesnt more often than not. A shit but basic example is my mate who worked in a factory was saving to buy a car just a second hand average run around and the last minute on a whim he used the money and got his JCB digger licence or some shit like that, he now earns at least triple what he would be earning if he bought that car! he invested in himself and thought long term and it paid off for him, it wasn't luck and he doesnt graft any harder he just made a decision and took action. People will think a JCB driver is not successful but success is relative to the individual. Just aim to be happy if you can and take action if you want something. 

I'm still disgusted that some people feel that Stella McCartney got a leg up after graduating from Central St Martins fashion college, just because she had Kate Moss, Yasmin Le Bon and Naomi Campbell as runway models, her dad wrote a new song for the show and it got a review in Vogue by Anna Wintour who attended. I'm sure most of her contemporaries could have done that if they had tried a bit harder.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'm still disgusted that some people feel that Stella McCartney got a leg up after graduating from Central St Martins fashion college, just because she had Kate Moss, Yasmin Le Bon and Naomi Campbell as runway models, her dad wrote a new song for the show and it got a review in Vogue by Anna Wintour who attended. I'm sure most of her contemporaries could have done that if they had tried a bit harder.

Size zero strawman

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, A Red said:

What is bollocks is to sit back and moan that anyone that might have done well for themselves is just a lucky bastard

But how do you define doing well for yourself? That's up to you. As in life, you can only truly measure yourself by your own standards and the opportunities you've taken. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Hard work has less to do with success than luck, knowing the right people and being irrationally confident. Especially the last one. If you can sell yourself well, you're basically golden. My problem is that I don't think anything I've done is impressive enough to shout to the rooftops about. But that's what you need to do in interviews.

3 Stacks in "I have a problem with self aggrandizement" shocker.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, cochyn said:

But how do you define doing well for yourself? That's up to you. As in life, you can only truly measure yourself by your own standards and the opportunities you've taken. 

Thats a good question. If your yardstick is owning a super yacht and having millions then most people fail, I guess its being happy with what you've got, your lifestyle, family etc.

Jealousy of others luck or achievements, however big or small, where the blame for your perceived lack of success is always the fault of others, creates unhappiness and bitterness. Now, which sporting institution do we know that is like that?

• Upvote 2

I wish I had found something I wanted to do when I was young and really worked hard to pursue it. I think that's where a lot of people find success because there is a clear pathway to it and you may have shit pay at the beginning but what first job doesn't. 

I've bumbled about and fell into IT support and shift work, but still not any closer to figuring out what I'd enjoy but now have a wife and kids to feed and a mortgage. Pretty risky to make a major change under those circumstances. 

1 hour ago, A Red said:

Thats a good question. If your yardstick is owning a super yacht and having millions then most people fail, I guess its being happy with what you've got, your lifestyle, family etc.

Jealousy of others luck or achievements, however big or small, where the blame for your perceived lack of success is always the fault of others, creates unhappiness and bitterness. Now, which sporting institution do we know that is like that?

Agreed there's no point being annoyed or jealous and aiming that anger at the people who've benefited, but acknowledging that it exists is essential, because we live in a society that has weaponised the idea of 'the deserving poor' as an excuse to morally justify depriving people of help or even basic sympathy and leaving them to their lot. 

If someone on here owned a business, and another poster needed a job, if they gave them a job we'd all think that was great. But if the person who'd just got the job went around to other jobless people saying 'why don't you get off your arse and get a job like I did', that would be wrong. But that's what we do in wider society.

Your saw it with the backlash to Marcus Rashford, the right wing Twitterati was awash with tall tales of how their nan had lived through the war and fed 18 kids by batch baking corned beef hash. 

I've seen it in my job these last few months. A lot of middle class people have been out of work for the first time and couldn't get their heads around things like waiting weeks for universal credit.

"But I've got no money!"

"I know."

"But it's not fair!" 

"I know."

Tales of how my great granddad used to hunt rabbits for food sadly didn't do much to assuage concerns. 

When they've got a job again though, no doubt for many of them it'll be a return  to how the underclass spend their money on 'wide screen TVs'. (who hasn't got a wide screen tv these days seeing as it's the only type they make? Maybe someone should reopen a cathode-ray tube TV factory for people who are on the dole, I might apply for a grant and look for some investors on Linkedin.) 

George Osborne with his tales of how people must be frustrated when they leave for work and see people's curtains are closed. A man widely regarded as an imbecile who, despite having the best education money can buy, couldn't get a job on a newspaper and ended up working at Selfridges before landing a gig at the Conservative party press office. 

Or Boris Johnson, a man who got a job at a newspaper through the fact his dad was working in Brussels, couldn't be arsed doing his job so made quotes up, got sacked, yet still got a newspaper column for which he was paid a quarter mil a year which he described as 'chicken feed'. 

It's not a meritocracy, some people who say it is do it to make themselves feel better about what they've 'achieved' or so they can willfully turn a blind eye to the plight of people who're struggling, because they don't care - and Judeo/Christian society makes it crass and impolitic to admit it.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

I wish I had found something I wanted to do when I was young and really worked hard to pursue it. I think that's where a lot of people find success because there is a clear pathway to it and you may have shit pay at the beginning but what first job doesn't. 

I've bumbled about and fell into IT support and shift work, but still not any closer to figuring out what I'd enjoy but now have a wife and kids to feed and a mortgage. Pretty risky to make a major change under those circumstances. 

My dad did exactly that. He worked in engineering/ manufacture and hated it. But the pay was good, so..... Not long after I was born he decided to make the switch and enrolled on a work/study program in his preferred field. Says it's one of the best things he ever did. But, he did fucking detest his old job, so I guess that was a big incentive.

27 minutes ago, cochyn said:

My dad did exactly that. He worked in engineering/ manufacture and hated it. But the pay was good, so..... Not long after I was born he decided to make the switch and enrolled on a work/study program in his preferred field. Says it's one of the best things he ever did. But, he did fucking detest his old job, so I guess that was a big incentive.

Fair play to him.