You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jobs you'd have loved if you were smart enough

Section_31

17 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

My Dad was a Doctor. Never wanted to follow in his footsteps until it was too late. Not sure I ever had what it takes, brains or otherwise, but I think now I’d like to have tried. 

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster.

Dr Dre killed two birds with one stone.

25 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Architect or Samaritan 

Your first role play would probably have confirmed your suitability

"Hello, Samaritans. Before we start I feel it important to point out, whether you live or die is irrelevant to me"

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Always fancied being a barrister ever since watching Crown Court as a kid. However it’s not brilliantly paid and you have to fund yourself through training so it was never an option for me. 

A friend of mine is a barrister and gets around 180k. Sure you’re not getting mixed up with the pay of a barista? 

Good shout though. The legal profession would have suited me. I wish I took that road. 

6 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Always fancied being a barrister ever since watching Crown Court as a kid. However it’s not brilliantly paid and you have to fund yourself through training so it was never an option for me. 

Yep, my cousin is a barrister in London and I was astonished at how (relatively) poorly remunerated she is, for what is a seriously tough job. Some of these careers I'm just amazed that people even bother at all. They must be really motivated.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yep, my cousin is a barrister in London and I was astonished at how poorly remunerated she is, for what is a seriously tough career. Some of these careers I'm just amazed that people even bother at all. They must be really motivated.

Just had a good. Average is 90k, ranges up to 200K. Looks like it’s low when you’re starting though. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

I wonder how many Baristas have got laid off the back of women mistaking what they do for a barrister.

"Last night was great, would you like a single origin bean or are you happy with a standard doppio?" 

"errrr...... fuck!" 

They are experts with the bean though, must count for something.

• Upvote 1

I always wanted to be a locksmith or a horologist (watch & clock repair). As time as gone on I've lost interest in the locksmith one as it's not all the safe cracking and lock picking I thought it would be.

The workings of mechanical watches and clocks fascinates me and I'd jump at the chance to get involved in the profession. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Yes but I think that’s upper end and probably corporate or tax work. Your day to day criminal brief defending junkie shop lifters in Barnsley crown court is not making even a 1/3rd of that and he’s got to pay for chambers, travel, insurance etc.

Still wished I’d done it though. Mind you. half of the posters on here should have gone into a profession where they are paid to argue over trivial things for days at a time. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-47372265

18 minutes ago, Numero said:

Just had a good. Average is 90k, ranges up to 200K. Looks like it’s low when you’re starting though. 

She's been doing it for 20 years now, so she's probably better paid these days, but she's in immigration and human rights and the pay in that is definitely at the lower end.

24 minutes ago, A Red said:

Your first role play would probably have confirmed your suitability

"Hello, Samaritans. Before we start I feel it important to point out, whether you live or die is irrelevant to me"

Tough love.  I don’t think ‘Pull yourself together’ is in the manual.  Although apparently lots of the calls they get are from perverts making shit up and wanking over the sympathy 

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Tough love.  I don’t think ‘Pull yourself together’ is in the manual.  Although apparently lots of the calls they get are from perverts making shit up and wanking over the sympathy 

Hahaha fucking hell. 

Gonna give that a try. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Fuck me thats grim. I was thinking more along the lines of "I've smashed in a bottle of gin and now I've got a loaded gun pushed up my arse. Do I fuck it or pull the trigger?" not child abuse. Sick bastards 

15 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I know someone who volunteered at the Samaritans so that he could pull vulnerable girls.  Even Rico isn't that bad!

• Upvote 1