You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fulham 1 Liverpool 1 (Dec 13 2020)

tlw content

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Can't believe it was barely even mentioned. The absolute epitome of a red card challenge. Lookman must have been annoyed at missing out on the derby.

West Brom guy gets sent off last week for waving his feet in the general direction of the Palace lad. Lookman throws in a studs-high potential ankle-breaker on Neco and it's a yellow. Was there even a VAR review? Fucked up doesn't even begin to describe it.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

and that's before we even get into the Lookman challenge that could have broken Neco's leg.

Yeah, without this turning into the VAR rant I think this is basically the crux of the issue with it how ridiculously we're using technology. We're using it to re-referee games and apply rules that are designed to be fairly subjective and loose as the game happens quickly and the referee only used to get one viewing. In a non-VAR world, then the referee lets all of these incidents in the Fulham game largely slide, but there's consistency: he's letting the game flow, allowing it to be reasonably physical - and that's sound as he's only getting one view of it. Problem is that VAR sticks its oar in every 20 minutes and prevents the referee from building a consistent 'feel' to the game because those interpretations are being challenged - not because of clear and obvious errors but because it's a different ref and a different ref's view.

If we're going to stick with it (and I would chuck it in a big fire despite previously being dead in favour of it) because we've crossed the Rubicon now, then it's unpopular but we need to rewrite the rules to reflect how the game will be refereed. If, for example, you can be offside by a millimetre (such as Salah against Brighton) then we need to rethink the whole concept of offside: the technology is more sensitive than the human eye, so how is an attacker supposed to know when he's offside - or a defender when he's got his line right? And if we're going to analyse toe-on-the-ball-but-boot decisions down to the millisecond and accept that football is a non-contact sport - in the penalty area at least - we need to differentiate between slight contact made in non-threatening positions and genuine fouls in more dangerous areas and make punishments fit accordingly instead of awarding penalties for a microscopic tap on the undersole of a boot, which just encourages diving.

There were inconsistencies before VAR as well! 

I think with or without VAR there will always be inconsistencies, but it needs to be reviewed about what the maximum gains VAR brings against what it takes away. 

I don't want a fucking pitch side monitor while the ref jogs over to look at what some other supposedly qualified ref has seen. I think we should keep VAR but try to keep the game flowing while any decision is taking place and immediately have the power to stop the game if a decision needs over ruling because it was a clear and obvious error. The VAR needs to stop backing the ref as a default position and have the balls to tell them they've fucked up. 

It's so polarising though, everyone wants different versions of VAR (or mostly people want none at all). I want it to just correct clangers and keep disruption to a bare minimum. 

24 minutes ago, Remmie said:

There were inconsistencies before VAR as well! 

I think with or without VAR there will always be inconsistencies, but it needs to be reviewed about what the maximum gains VAR brings against what it takes away. 

I don't want a fucking pitch side monitor while the ref jogs over to look at what some other supposedly qualified ref has seen. I think we should keep VAR but try to keep the game flowing while any decision is taking place and immediately have the power to stop the game if a decision needs over ruling because it was a clear and obvious error. The VAR needs to stop backing the ref as a default position and have the balls to tell them they've fucked up. 

It's so polarising though, everyone wants different versions of VAR (or mostly people want none at all). I want it to just correct clangers and keep disruption to a bare minimum. 

The problem here is that you now have 2 filters of inconsistency.

The pitch ref and the VAR ref.

• dave u unpinned this topic