You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fulham 1 Liverpool 1 (Dec 13 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

This season is just horrible. It’s just a massive fucking grind and we never know from week to week which player is going to the next to be struck down with injury.

Combine that with us suddenly forgetting how to win away from home and if we do manage to retain the title it might well be our greatest ever achievement.

This was awful. In fact, for the opening half an hour it was worse than Villa. At least in that game we put some decent attacks together and we were trading punches with them. This was different. We were on the ropes getting battered.

At Villa we had Adrian in goal and no Henderson to keep everyone’s heads up and help us turn the tide. This time Alisson was between the sticks making save after save and the skipper was there to drag us back into the game. Other than that this felt a lot like Villa Park.

We started terribly. Fulham were bang at it and we just weren’t ready for them. I don’t know why. I doubt anyone really does. It’s probably not a co-incidence that nearly all of the teams that played in Europe this week were rubbish at the weekend though. That was the sixth European game and it would seem that it caught up with everybody.

Spurs were below par and dropped points. Chelsea were crap and lost. City and United served up a stinker in the Manc derby. Arsenal were… well, Arsenal. Leicester were the only ones to win I think.

Granted, not all of our starting eleven had featured in Denmark (none of them should have, but that’s another story) but they all travelled and trained and had their week disrupted by it. Maybe that’s why we were caught cold by Fulham or maybe it was something else. Who knows? 

Against Villa a lot of the problem for me was just not being up for it. We just weren’t there mentally and got punished. This won’t have been that. The Villa game showed everyone what can happen if you aren’t completely at it and if you don’t treat every game like it’s a big one. That’s been one of our great strengths these last few years. It’s a mantra within the camp, every game is huge. 

It was even referenced by Trent and Robbo on Wingmen when they were asked about big games and they were both like “they’re all huge games”. They weren’t saying it for the sake of it either, you could tell it’s something that has been drummed into them all. Hendo referenced it too when he was on.

So I don’t think there was any complacency against Fulham but for whatever reason the lads just weren’t ready for what they walked into. Maybe it was the lift that having fans back in gave the home side? We’ve seen that in a lot of other games this past week or so as well. It’s only really Arsenal that didn’t respond.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

I was banging on about this all through the game, but the inconsistency is now beyond unacceptable. One minute you've got a tackle being scrutinised down to the millisecond to work out exactly which came first: contact with player or contact with ball. Then a few minutes later you're seeing contact just shrugged off as being "not enough for a foul" - if the lightest brush on a boot is enough for a penalty then two hands in the back is surely enough for a foul, but it's just completely different rules applied all over the place.

Curtis Jones got booked for less of a shove than the Fulham lad put on Salah. We were dogshit and didn't deserve more than a point but it's yet another game where we're given an uphill battle because of shitty inconsistency.

• Upvote 6

We were shit because we were not there mentally, they knew we would be tired too so they were very agressive like we did vs Leicester.

It was good tu have Hendo on the pitch to lead the team. Jones had a Gerrard moment with his run, too bad he did not score, but he’s a terrific prospect. 

• Upvote 1

What I dont get with repeat injuries in training with Shaqiri and Keita is, why train them so hard then?

It's clear neither Shaq nor Keita can take our training regime and Ive concerns both Alli and Ox have also picked up injuries in training. It's bad enough oppos crocking the players during games but your own doing it in training?

In the case of Shaq, although he doesnt play often, he doesnt seem to pick up knocks in games. So is it the training?

Naby seems to pick up injuries in training and games at the whiff of a fart but again like Shaq, why train him hard and try lessen the absences?

Considering Trent's been out for a month, Id have thought he could have played midweek and yesterday no problem. People will complain about first teamers playing midweek but if they'd have stayed home, they'd still have trained in the week and not had the week off.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, m0e said:

That Jones run reminded me off the Gerrard goal versus Sheffield Wednesday in his first fill season. We'd have been talking about it for years if it went it.

Was thinking the same thing - I was on my feet ready to go bananas had that went in - id still be celebrating now I think 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Manny said:

Curtis Jones got booked for less of a shove than the Fulham lad put on Salah. We were dogshit and didn't deserve more than a point but it's yet another game where we're given an uphill battle because of shitty inconsistency.

I didn't even think it was a foul. There was literally nothing he could do there as Lookman ran across him and Curtis tried to avoid making any contact with him. What contact there was was absolutely minimal and not intended to drag him back or foul him.

• Upvote 2

Good report completey agree with the frustration of Sahq not being available when we could really use him now. but whats the fucking story with Keita he showed up away in Europe last week for a while and nowhere to be seen at the weekend. the only thing I would add though is even if he's available Jones is miles ahead of him in terms of what he's offering us on the pitch currently. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

What I dont get with repeat injuries in training with Shaqiri and Keita is, why train them so hard then?

It's clear neither Shaq nor Keita can take our training regime and Ive concerns both Alli and Ox have also picked up injuries in training. It's bad enough oppos crocking the players during games but your own doing it in training?

In the case of Shaq, although he doesnt play often, he doesnt seem to pick up knocks in games. So is it the training?

Naby seems to pick up injuries in training and games at the whiff of a fart but again like Shaq, why train him hard and try lessen the absences?

Considering Trent's been out for a month, Id have thought he could have played midweek and yesterday no problem. People will complain about first teamers playing midweek but if they'd have stayed home, they'd still have trained in the week and not had the week off.

Shaq was injured with Switzerland.

Minamino reminds me off a lad who has won a competition.

• Upvote 2

I didn't think it was a penalty either. After watching it about twenty times it looked like both feet and the ball collided about the same time. You could just as easily say the defender stood on Fab's foot as say Fab kicked him. It turned out to be irrelevant anyway as they scored soon after.  

• Upvote 2

I couldn't understand why is took so long over the penalty incident (although it was Lee Mason so I'm surprised it wasn't given without checking) he's looked at it numerous times and obviously couldn't decide one way or the other in which case it's not clear and obvious so why pass it back to the on-field ref ? Who is then placed under immense pressure as he knows all eyes are on him so fair play in coming to the correct decision  

The thing with us at the moment is that you can tell after a couple of minutes if the match is going to be a chore. the passing isn't fast and crisp the closing down is non-existent as is the movement when you compare it to the Leicester, Wolves and Arsenal games  And what was with all the long balls and ridiculous crossing from deep especially in the last 5-10 minutes when it was just being launched into the box ? 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, aws said:

I didn't think it was a penalty either. After watching it about twenty times it looked like both feet and the ball collided about the same time. You could just as easily say the defender stood on Fab's foot as say Fab kicked him. It turned out to be irrelevant anyway as they scored soon after.  

It's definitely not 100% clear, and there is definitely a case for him going through the foot to get to the ball, specially with the slow mo.

There are a few of us who think it was foot first, including Souness.

I also feel that if the ref gave it initially, he would not have overturned it upon review, and almost certainly because VAR would not have asked him to review it in the first place!

The thing is, it needed a fair few replays and a specific angle to see it properly and that's the exact problem with VAR.

"Clear and obvious" my fucking arse.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Mark M said:

Good report completey agree with the frustration of Sahq not being available when we could really use him now. but whats the fucking story with Keita he showed up away in Europe last week for a while and nowhere to be seen at the weekend. 

I don't really count Keita anyway. Can't remember a time when I've thought "we could really do with Naby here today".

16 hours ago, DJLJ said:

I have no idea how you can have Jones as star man, for me it was Ali by a country mile. Jones was better second half and as you say he was the best attacking player, but over all for me it was clear as day that Ali was the best player. 

Yeah you're right, it was Alisson by a mile. I unintentionally overlooked him because to be honest it never even entered my head when I was choosing. Goalkeepers rarely enter my thinking for the star man, mainly because they usually have very little to do. But yeah, defo Alisson and then Jones.

12 hours ago, Anubis said:

It wasn’t a penalty. Fab got the ball. It wasn’t a penalty. And praising Scott Parker. Sorry, you’re getting negged.

Firstly, it was a penalty but only if you're judging it on the super slo mo and being a bad VAR jobsworth. He gets his foot a fraction before he gets the ball but it's only visible on the slow mo.

Secondly, get his name right, it's Scott 'Scotty' Parker, and you'll show him his due respect. He fought in the war to win the freedom you have to abuse him.

9 minutes ago, Stickman said:

I couldn't understand why is took so long over the penalty incident (although it was Lee Mason so I'm surprised it wasn't given without checking) he's looked at it numerous times and obviously couldn't decide one way or the other in which case it's not clear and obvious so why pass it back to the on-field ref ? Who is then placed under immense pressure as he knows all eyes are on him so fair play in coming to the correct decision  

The thing with us at the moment is that you can tell after a couple of minutes if the match is going to be a chore. the passing isn't fast and crisp the closing down is non-existent as is the movement when you compare it to the Leicester, Wolves and Arsenal games  And what was with all the long balls and ridiculous crossing from deep especially in the last 5-10 minutes when it was just being launched into the box ? 

Agree with all of that.

5 minutes ago, m0e said:

It's definitely not 100% clear, and there is definitely a case for him going through the foot to get to the ball, specially with the slow mo.

There are a few of us who think it was foot first, including Souness.

I also feel that if the ref gave it initially, he would not have overturned it upon review, and almost certainly because VAR would not have asked him to review it in the first place!

The thing is, it needed a fair few replays and a specific angle to see it properly and that's the exact problem with VAR.

"Clear and obvious" my fucking arse.

Yep, this too.

5 minutes ago, Numero said:

I only watched the replay a couple of times. I was resigned to it being a pen and thought it was on first glance. I’m happy to claim it isn’t from now on though. Fuck it. Being a fan isn’t about being right. 

You thought it was on first glance? Mad that, it never even registered with me that there might be a problem. I just thought 'good tackle Fab, let's deal with this corner'.

When they said there was a VAR review I just rolled my eyes and figured it would be pointless as it was a good tackle.

I don't even know if there is a right or wrong on this anyway as it's such a tight decision that you can only see what his boot makes contact with first when you slow it down to virtually a standstill.

That's no way to be making decisions in a contact sport for me. It's complete overkill.

9 minutes ago, dave u said:

You thought it was on first glance? Mad that, it never even registered with me that there might be a problem. I just thought 'good tackle Fab, let's deal with this corner'.

When they said there was a VAR review I just rolled my eyes and figured it would be pointless as it was a good tackle.

I don't even know if there is a right or wrong on this anyway as it's such a tight decision that you can only see what his boot makes contact with first when you slow it down to virtually a standstill.

That's no way to be making decisions in a contact sport for me. It's complete overkill.

On first view of the replay, yeah. Looked like he kicked him off his feet. I might well be completely wrong on this. It took a fucking age, so I just went to the kitchen and knew I’d hear the roar of a pelanty. I just give up when it goes to VAR now. Feels like it always goes against us. I was shocked when I saw it wasn’t. I came back and posted something like ‘so the one that was a pen, it’s not given’. 

At the beginning of the VAR thread, I posted ‘I can’t see a legit argument against it’, well I certainly can now. In my infinite wisdom, I figured that professional refs could, given the ability to watch it back, make the right screen. Boy was I wrong. I expected once in a few games the moments that were so clearly wrong, they’d overturn it. Not that everything, all the time, would be subject to dodgy lines. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, dave u said:

I didn't even think it was a foul. There was literally nothing he could do there as Lookman ran across him and Curtis tried to avoid making any contact with him. What contact there was was absolutely minimal and not intended to drag him back or foul him.

Yeah I'm using the word "shove" in the broadest, broadest sense of the word!

Still fucked off about the inconsistency. Three incidents spring to mind - 

Minimal contact with the undersole of a boot whilst executing a tackle that dispossesses a player as he's about to cross it. Necessary act, executed almost perfectly, virtually no contact.

Slight bump into player who runs in front of you as you both chase a loose ball. Accidental act, virtually no contact.

Shoving a player square in the back with two hands as he's watching a ball drop and set under it, whilst making no effort to get set under the ball yourself. Unnecessary act, no attempt to play the ball, clear contact (although admittedly not overly excessive).

Guess which one led to a booking, which one is analysed for ten minutes and debated for hours afterwards, and which one is just completely ignored.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Manny said:

Yeah I'm using the word "shove" in the broadest, broadest sense of the word!

Still fucked off about the inconsistency. Three incidents spring to mind - 

Minimal contact with the undersole of a boot whilst executing a tackle that dispossesses a player as he's about to cross it. Necessary act, executed almost perfectly, virtually no contact.

Slight bump into player who runs in front of you as you both chase a loose ball. Accidental act, virtually no contact.

Shoving a player square in the back with two hands as he's watching a ball drop and set under it, whilst making no effort to get set under the ball yourself. Unnecessary act, no attempt to play the ball, clear contact (although admittedly not overly excessive).

Guess which one led to a booking, which one is analysed for ten minutes and debated for hours afterwards, and which one is just completely ignored.

and that's before we even get into the Lookman challenge that could have broken Neco's leg.

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic