You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerard Houllier

Red74

Something else about Houllier, I don't know why but he got by far the most hostile reception of all foreign managers of that era. Wenger, Vialli etc were all embraced but Ged was up against it from day one. Being labelled 'the Frenchman' by St John who wouldn't even say his name on the radio, Greaves bizarrely comparing him  to 'an owl', shitbags like Ince getting air time to run their mouths in the newspaper. 

I genuinely think it was because he was perceived as the architect of France's new found dominance in football, and our LMA grifters couldn't cope with the idea of Johnny Foreigner telling them how to develop footballers. When you consider they had Houllier, and we had Trevor fucking Brooking stealing a living, you can see why the fortunes of both countries diverged so wildly.

I also think it was because the club at the time, as run by Parry and Moores, had no balls. So above shitbags would feel there'd be no repercussions if they disrespected Houllier. He stood alone, but he handled everything with calm and confident class befitting the kind of man he was. 

• Upvote 6

Just now, Section_31 said:

Something else about Houllier, I don't know why but he got by far the most hostile reception of all foreign managers of that era. Wenger, Vialli etc were all embraced but Ged was up against it from day one. Being labelled 'the Frenchman' by St John who wouldn't even say his name on the radio, Greaves bizarrely comparing him  to 'an owl', shitbags like Ince getting air time to run their mouths in the newspaper. 

I genuinely think it was because he was perceived as the architect of France's new found dominance in football, and our LMA grifters couldn't cope with the idea of Johnny Foreigner telling them how to develop footballers. When you consider they had Houllier, and we had Trevor fucking Brooking stealing a living, you can see why the fortunes of both countries diverged so wildly.

I also think it was because the club at the time, as run by Parry and Moores, had no balls. So above shitbags would feel there'd be no repercussions if they disrespected Houllier. He stood alone, but he handled everything with calm and confident class befitting the kind of man he was. 

I remember that too. I think a lot of it also has to do with how he treated Evans, and we had a lot of ex pros in the press at that time.

I fucking loved 2000/01 season.

I’d just moved back home having been at uni for 4 years. I got to go to loads of games, home, away and europe.

Probably my favourite season overall.

He loved the club, that always came across even if he didn’t always get it right. But he modernised the club and took us forward 

So cheers Ged, RIP

RIP Gerard. His record in terms of trophies spoke for itself and in particular the last months of the 2000/01 season were just phenomenal. 

Lots of tributes calling him a lovely man, but important to say that he was no soft touch - one of his biggest legacies was his steeliness in terms of enforcing discipline, weeding out the jokers and generally getting professional footballers to act like professionals again. 

He seemed to come back too quick after his heart trouble with us. 

Really sad news. Brought many things back to the club, including identity, belief and pride, after a few years going nowhere in particular. Remember Carra saying of him calling Paul Ince out at Melwood - knowing to the letter how many training matches he’d won during his time in charge - “we’ve got a proper manager now”. That’s exactly how it felt in that period where we just kept improving. What a trophy haul and less importantly but another sign of what a top manager he was when he came to us, winning away at Old Trafford was the toughest gig going in that era yet he oversaw 3 in a row.

• Upvote 1

There's an anecdote I heard - which I hope is true - about the UEFA Cup Final in 2001.  There were some building works going on opposite his apartment  (near Sevvy Park) and before the final the builders hung a "Good luck" banner on the scaffolding.   Afterwards, he came out to thank them... and he brought the trophy out for them all to see.

• Upvote 1