You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerard Houllier

Red74

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'm actually surprised by how much this has shook me up, I wasn't expecting it to do so to this extent. Maybe because he's the fist Liverpool manager whose tenure I remember who's died, I dunno.

But also I think it's because he was the manager that made me believe again, an outsider who changed the culture of the club and set it on a new course towards success. Our Shankly in a sense.

Yeah, I'd go so far to say Gerard was just as important as Shankly in that they both completely changed the club - also what Klopp has done in the last five years too. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I'm actually surprised by how much this has shook me up, I wasn't expecting it to do so to this extent. Maybe because he's the fist Liverpool manager whose tenure I remember who's died, I dunno.

But also I think it's because he was the manager that made me believe again, an outsider who changed the culture of the club and set it on a new course towards success. Our Shankly in a sense.

I feel exactly the same mate. I remember Fagan and Bob in charge, but I was 8 when Joe retired. Ged was the same age as my dad. Our Shankly is spot on - he reinvented the club in his own image.

I’m sad and gutted about it but not surprised, I thought he looked terrible on the BBC documentary in the summer.

Under Houllier was when I upped going to the games. So many great memories - our first wins at Old Trafford and Woodison in about a decade (and subsequent good records there), Titi Camara at Arsenal, Owen in Roma, McAllister v Roma, 8-0 at Stoke, 5-0 v Palace, last minute winners v Chelsea 2 years in the bounce, all the trips to Cardiff, Dortmund v Alaves...

I know it went sour in the end but I think that was partially down to his health.

What a ride the first 4 years were.... we won more in those seasons than some clubs have ever won. 

RIP. YNWA.

• Upvote 1

Shouldn't have come back for that Roma game and should have put his feet up for the rest of the season as Phil Thompson was doing well in his absence. I'm sure he could have eased himself back in. 

Thommo said at a sportsmans dinner that when Gerard came back some of his decision making was a bit impulsive and made a few wrong choices. 

Can remember the day he had his heart attack. We were playing really well at the time and seemed to have the right balance between being tight defensively and scoring. Leeds were a talented team and one of the rivals for the title. Thought it was the start of us being a genuine title contender as we looked a good string team.

Watched some of it in a pub as it was a 12.30 ko and then went to play footy and only found out after my game had finished that he had a heart attack. 

41 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Also felt sorry for him near the end as a lot of the fans turned against him. We lost at home to Charlton at the end of the 2003 season and I was in the Main Stand. The abuse he got that day was unreal but it did look like the end of the road and the team just didnt look arsed anymore.

Remember that game well, was in the upper Annie, lots of ffs from fans, very toxic at the time.

I’m another who did the Cardiff to Dortmund to Charlton trip. Aged 20. With my arl fella. Mostly drunk for a week. Hanging out with Erik meijer and Gary macs arl fella in a sunny square in Dortmund. It was the best week of my life. Absolutely magic.

the Roma match on the kop too. And the Cardiff final against the mancs. 

The man is responsible for some very very happy times.

RIP Ged 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The news this morning brought a tear to my eyes, he was a lovely man and its very sad. 

I can't understand why he's not on the managers banner, that must have hurt him. 

37 minutes ago, AbbaZabba said:

I’m another who did the Cardiff to Dortmund to Charlton trip. Aged 20. With my arl fella. Mostly drunk for a week. Hanging out with Erik meijer and Gary macs arl fella in a sunny square in Dortmund. It was the best week of my life. Absolutely magic.

the Roma match on the kop too. And the Cardiff final against the mancs. 

The man is responsible for some very very happy times.

RIP Ged 

What a legacy to have though? To have given that many people so much joy, to be respected universally in football, to be credited as one of the architects of France's status on the world stage and the resurgence of Liverpool, a club he'd watched from the stands. 

Also, for a man who loved football, just absolutely loved football - he never worked a day in his life really did he? Because he spent every day of it doing stuff he'd probably have done for nothing, watching footy, analysing games, getting to talk to likeminded people. What a life, what a legacy.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

I always presumed it was because he hadn't won big ears. 

Neither has the king (as manager).  It's really shook me up this.  Reading some of the comments from ex-players and others in the wider football community has really made me emotional.

I'm getting drunk tonight and sticking this on:

image.png

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I always presumed it was because he hadn't won big ears. 

We had a thread on here over whether he not he deserved to be on it. I have always thought he should have. With respect,Shanks didnt win Big Ears but laid the foundation for us to win it. I think Houllier did something slightly similar.

• Upvote 2

As the days gone on, reading the tributes from not only our own players but the rest of football who worked with him hasnt half choked me up tonight. 

The man was a revolutionary in football. Transforming France, us and the Red Bull teams. 

I’m not intelligent enough to say the right words but the man was a true gentleman who got to do what he loved and was loved for it right to the end.

Such a shame after the draw today that he didn’t get to see it played out. Like to see his family brought over as guests of honour if allowed back in. 

Hope the club do a permanent tribute to him too. 

• Upvote 1

Absolutely gutted to hear the news but seeing some of the reaction, photos and clips today has been heart warming. Like many, he gave me my first tastes of success as a young red and helped instill in me a passion that I'll never be without. 

A great man, seemingly universally loved and respected who had a huge influence. Yeah, that's a way to make your impact on the world. 

Allez.

• Upvote 1