You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerard Houllier

Red74

The right man at the right time who laid the groundwork for all the success we've had since. What a blessed thing that he lived long enough to see us lift number 19. I'll always wonder how much further he would have taken us himself had he not been afflicted by ill-health. And I'll always owe him some of the best football memories of my life. Adieu, Gérard Houllier.

• Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The right man at the right time who laid the groundwork for all the success we've had since. What a blessed thing that he lived long enough to see us lift number 19. I'll always wonder how much further he would have taken us himself had he not been afflicted by ill-health. And I'll always owe him some of the best football memories of my life. Adieu, Gérard Houllier.

Great post SD. Out of rep.

RIP Ged, YNWA, great man it was his era that really made me mad about the club

Those 5 trophies and it seems like the majority of the football world thought highly of him.

Evans, despite their differences was as humble as you would expect from today, unlike the Sugars of this world 

Sad times, Wednesday will be a great night no doubt

Absolutely awful news. 

The end of his time at the club wasn't pleasant but I think we have all long forgotten about that now. Gerard Houllier dragged Liverpool kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Not just Liverpool in fact, he modernised the British game. Not to the same extent that Wenger did but along similar lines. He pushed the concept of "not putting diesel into a Ferrari" and that is now the norm in football. There's a reason he was a UEFA technical director. The man knew his football, as well as anyone in the last thirty years. 

He was always someone who was criminally underrated and I think that's because of the drop off that ended with us getting Benitez in. I am not a medical expert but it's pretty obvious he wasn't the same manager after his heart problem. It seemed to affect his personality a bit and definitely his decision making. We will never know how close we'd have come, but at the end of the 2001/2002 season he was a couple of signings away from winning the league but unfortunately it went in the opposite direction. 

But I will always, always remember him for the 2000/2001 season. I was a late starter with football and had only seen us win the Coca Cola Cup in 1995 and bomb a few leagues in the mid 1990s. That was the season where the videos and pictures I'd seen of our past became my present. I will never forget that treble winning season when we lived on the brink seemingly from January until May. Every 3 games, there was a massive game and even the league games became knockout because of the race between us and Leeds. He made me believe in the club for the first time. 

A really sad day and I wish we could all be there on Wednesday to pay tribute to him. RIP Gerard. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

A few people have mentioned the big wins over Manchester United. I'd forgotten how huge they seemed at the time, particularly the ones at Old Trafford.  Season highlights in some cases. I even have a bit of a soft spot for Danny Murphy as a result. 

The 2003 League Cup Final was boss.

75B04A68-5E45-47C2-BD93-6D6474AAC141.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Superb tributes on Sky Sports News for those able to watch.

Rushie and Didi have been on.

Yes there’s been some lovely stuff on there. Even the reporter Vinny who covers us had a story of his kindness.

• Upvote 1

I'm actually surprised by how much this has shook me up, I wasn't expecting it to do so to this extent. Maybe because he's the fist Liverpool manager whose tenure I remember who's died, I dunno.

But also I think it's because he was the manager that made me believe again, an outsider who changed the culture of the club and set it on a new course towards success. Our Shankly in a sense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3