You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Dec 5-11 2020)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Dec 5:

Leyton Stewart bagged a couple more goals but the 18s lost 4-3 to the Mancs in a top of the table clash. Billy Koumetio only played the first half which probably tells us he’s starting in the CL on Wednesday. I don’t think he’s anywhere near ready to be a viable first team option as he’s two years younger than Rhys Williams and six years younger than Phillips. 

That makes a massive difference for a centre half, as centre back years are different to other players. An 18 year centre back is like a 12 year old winger. Still, I’m looking forward to seeing how Koumetio does. I hope Stewart is involved too. Basically leave everyone at home and let’s go down the Villa FA Cup side route.

We’ve got Wolves tomorrow and Nuno doesn’t agree with Klopp on the five subs thing. So he’s one of the five then. We know Chris Wilder is another one, but those two don’t agree with each other on fans being allowed back in. Wilder was cryarsing that it’s not fair that tier two areas get fans back in but tier three don’t, but Nuno says he isn’t arsed and that 2,000 fans inside Anfield doesn’t give us any advantage.

He’s right, having 2,000 fans back is nice for us but it’s hardly going to make a difference to the outcome of the game. It’s just great for people to be able to get back in, and Wilder is being a miserable, selfish cunt by complaining about it. I really liked him until this. I’m not arsed about him not being in favour of five subs or the fact he called Klopp selfish. That’s nothing really, but this moaning about fans being allowed back in makes me want them to lose every fucking game now.

I was thinking today, now that Neco looks like he’s over his dodgy spell, we might be approaching the time we finally see Trent in midfield because we have so many injuries in that area. I’m not saying it will defo happen, but it would make some sense as the options to rotate in midfield aren’t great at the moment. Keita and Ox should be back soon, which helps, but for how long?

The French press say Mbappe has three options for next year. Real Madrid, us or stay with PSG. He’s gonna stay with PSG isn’t he? Because Madrid are skint and we’ve got Jota now. We’d have to sell one of the big three and I can’t see that happening. I suppose he could come in as Origi’s replacement.

Sunday Dec 6:

L 4 Wolves 0 Wow, that was pretty special I thought. Another tough looking game that we breezed through despite not being at full strength. For the last couple of years we’ve often heard “yeah but let’s see how good they are without Van Dijk and Alisson”. Shit, even our own fans have said similar stuff, like “we’ll be fine as long as we don’t lose Van Dijk or Alisson”. We’re doing alright though, aren’t we?

We aren’t going to be as good as we’d be with one or both of them, but the rest of the team are stepping up and the squad lads who are coming in have been pretty fucking heroic to this point. Jones, Neco, Phillips, Rhys, Kelleher, all of them have slotted in and looked more than up to the job. 

They don’t show any nerves either, which goes back to something I’ve been saying a while about how training with and against our first team is tougher than any test they might face against anyone else. It’s remarkable how well our kids do when they’re thrown in. You’d think coming into a team with so many great players would show up their limitations but it’s usually the opposite.

Wolves were shite though. I expect better from them but a combination of Nuno losing his marbles as well as his centre forward played right into our hands. Coady in a back four? Please.

And my boy Adama needs to get the hell out of there and his talents are being wasted. If he's not careful he's going to end up stranded in mediocrity like Wilf Zaha.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic
2 hours ago, Arnaud said:

I saw the last 10 mn of Psg -Lyon  yesterday. M’Bappé was awful, playing on his own, no sense or will to play with the others, he kept loosing the ball. 

i would not swap him with any of our players upfront.

Playing for a move? Or maybe he just saves himself for the big games now as he can't be arsed.

2 hours ago, Arnaud said:

I saw the last 10 mn of Psg -Lyon  yesterday. M’Bappé was awful, playing on his own, no sense or will to play with the others, he kept loosing the ball. 

i would not swap him with any of our players upfront.

He wants to come here. In January! Make it so, Edwards!

• dave u unpinned this topic