You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spurs (H) Premier League - 16/12/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

March 2014. Suarez and Sturridge tearing teams apart, with able support from Coutinho and Sterling. We were in the midst of that incredible winning run that saw us in the thick of a title charge, playing swashbuckling attacking football and scoring goals galore (while keeping a few out at the other end from time to time). We were exceptional during that period, and walloped Spurs at Anfield 4-0. We'd hammered them 5-0 at White Hart Lane the previous December - a result that saw them sack Andre Villas-Boas and replace him with Captain Bellend.

Who? This guy.

thumb_captain-bellend-reporting-for-duty

In the charts in 2014, there was a new number one practically every week. At the time of the Spurs game it was the turn of Duke Dumont and Jax Jones with 'I Got U'. A very summery tune featuring a sample of Whitney Houston's 'My Love Is Your Love'. It is much better than the chart-toppers that preceded and followed it.

We need our players to say 'I Got You' for the Spurs game. They barely turned up for the Fulham game. I don't think it was complacency on the players' part. I don't even think it was fatigue. I think training and the tactical approach in recent games has been about energy conservation so we haven't been going flat out, but it's hampering our effectiveness, especially if our opponents decide to show up and compete (cheers Fulham for getting a fortnight's rest coming into your game against us today!). I would think a slower tempo and less intensity might still be the case for the next two games which are very closely scheduled, so as to try and avoid burnout. Mourinho has got Spurs playing a typical Mourinho style, and they've been very fortunate to avoid injuries despite starting their season earlier because of having to play qualifiers for the Europa League. The referee and his team will need to be strong and consistent for this one, especially if the scoreline is tight. We've got the players to do the business though, and I anticipate that we will.

• Upvote 7

Get in. Crock Kane. Get the three points. Get out.

EDIT: While we’re at it our defenders should be shown the videos of Kane jumping into defenders with his back turned to win fouls while endangering the defender. They should then be instructed that if he does it to them they should put  him in a headlock on the way down and wrench his big slobbering head off his shoulders. “I was just trying to break my fall, ref.”

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Is Milner likely to be back for this game?

If so I'd put Henderson at centre back. This is not the game for Phillips. 

In addition to being deadly on the break Spurs are good at set pieces. So we need either Williams or Phillips to defend those. Despite his height I hardly think I’ve seen Henderson clear a corner with his head yet during his time at the club.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, aws said:

I expect us to be up for it and I expect us to win. 

I have absolutely no idea what to expect out of Liverpool this season.

Will we be the team that destroyed a very good Leicester side, looking like the Liverpool of 2019? Very possibly. Will we be the lackluster unit that submitted so meekly to Aston Villa a month or two ago? Also very possibly.

The one good thing I'd say is that we do tend to react to those limp displays with a good performance in the next match.

I can't wait for February or so when the injuries are starting to catch up with all the other sides and we've got loads of fresh players coming back into our side. Can't wait to see Thiago behind our front 3!

• Upvote 1

The Premier League midweek fixture in mid-December is generally the one where Klopp traditionally does something quite off the wall. Last time it was Everton and most of the regulars started on the bench. I seem to remember more examples in previous seasons too.  

I wonder if he's going to do something like that again? He doesn't have a lot of options at the moment but I wonder if Neco Williams, Origi, Minamino etc start the game and we try and win this from the bench?

5 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

The Premier League midweek fixture in mid-December is generally the one where Klopp traditionally does something quite off the wall. Last time it was Everton and most of the regulars started on the bench. I seem to remember more examples in previous seasons too.  

I wonder if he's going to do something like that again? He doesn't have a lot of options at the moment but I wonder if Neco Williams, Origi, Minamino etc start the game and we try and win this from the bench?

Mate, if Origi starts I'm honest to god not watching it.

• Upvote 2