You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 2020/21 FA Cup Run Thread.....

Bjornebye

I'd love to win this. I know we have bigger fish to fry but I still love the cup and I hope Jurgen takes it a bit more seriously. 

I can't see a full house at Anfield this season but what a moment if we got the the final in-front of a full house at Wembley. 

Our 3rd round tie against Villa is on Friday 8th, 7:45 on BT Sport. I hope this thread is still alive on the 9th, I fucking hate FA Cup weekend when we've already been knocked out. 

PA-758686-1.jpg

image-3-fa-cup-final-1974-liverpool-v-ne

thumb_49820_default_news_size_5.jpeg

1989-05-20T000000Z_1_MT1ACI94796_RTRMADP

image-15-1992-fa-cup-final-liverpool-v-s

cup.jpg

_101629237_gerrard_fa_cup_hero_getty.jpg

• Upvote 6

I love the FA Cup. Some of my best and worst memories of watching us are in the FA Cup.

Although I was there we beat QPR in 1990, Wembley in 1992 was the first trophy I saw us lift. 

Too many memories to list, and I feel guilty for saying it, but if losing to Villa gives us 1% extra chance of winning the league and / or Champions League, I’m taking the loss now and moving on. 

I’ve already resigned myself to the fact we’re going out. I just don’t want us to get humped at Villa again.

Cardiff 2001 was a great day out eventually I'd never been to a FA  Cup final before and drove down wasn't arsed about drinking,  We were on the 1st row in the dip behind the goal Fabulous seat as well thought it was going to be a nightmare drive home before Owen turned the tables and won us the cup .

Would love Jurgen to try and win it but understand it if he doesn't take it too seriously 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tj hooker said:

Cardiff 2001 was a great day out

Still, and always will be, in my top handful

of Liverpool games I’ll ever go to (and I’m super lucky, I’ll have been to more than most). 

Which makes me feel even guiltier about my initial reply to the OP. 

• Upvote 1

Not for me, Jeff.  Used to love the FA Cup but it is just like a glorified Community Shield now. Everyone plays weak sides until they get to the semis or maybe quarters and if they get to the final, it's fuck off all you youngsters and squaddies who got us here but the big boys will play for the glory now.

Sure, if everyone who entered the competition played their normal PL team, you could say it's worth the effort. At the moment it's like playing your U23 team in the CL group and early knock out rounds then bring out your big guns when you draw Real Madrid, Bayern or maybe Juve.

If we can win it with a mix of our U23s and squad players, Im in. Making the recognised 1st teamers play even more games, nah.

I love the FA Cup. When we won the double in 1986 I was genuinely more exited to win the Cup than the League. It was a huge trophy back then. Just a small bit below the League in its standing. As a kid you dreamed of winning the FA Cup, not the League.   

I hate that we’ve only won it once in 20 years.  It’s shite and I’d love us to win it again soon. But I’m also aware that in a mad season like this one we simply have to play the B team in the early rounds as the risk of injury is too significant. So getting Villa away was a really shite draw as they’ll probably go a lot stronger than us. 

• Upvote 3

When you consider how successful we’ve been since the mid-1960s domestically and in Europe, we’ve really underachieved in the FA Cup. 

We’ve won thirteen titles since 1965 onwards, compared to seven FA Cups. We could conceivably win our seventh European Cup this season. 

Agree that it’s magic has largely gone, but would love to see us give it a proper go. 

Loved the cup and some of my favourite memories as a kid are FA cup ties.
Even though I’d love us to win it again it just ain’t the same competition and that’s ironically because of the media who keep banging on about the magic of the cup yet they are the ones who’ve destroyed exactly that with their shitty KO times having the final at 5.30 

Also I mean look at Arteta he won it 5 months ago and yet his job is under threat because winning it means the same as the charity shield  

• Upvote 1

I expect Klopp to rotate heavily for this and - given our injuries and how knackered everyone will be after December - I think it will be too much to ask to get a result against a Premier League side.  Damn shame.  We're long overdue a domestic cup win and I doubt it will be this year.

I'm actually kind of confident about this one for a change. 

This isn't going to be like last years cup game against Villa where we had to field a team of literal children, some of our youth who have stepped up this season have shown they are worthy of wearing the shirt. 

Plus we'll have a few senior members coming back from injury who will get a run out to build their fitness. 

Overall I think we'll have more than enough to beat these. 

We've been shite in the FA Cup for years. Every 5 years or so, we have had a decent run that took us to the business end, but mostly it's been about early round exits in shitholes like Oldham, or scratch XIs getting knocked out at Anfield by teams managed by Paul Lambert and Alan Pardew.

Since 2013/14, Arsenal have won it 4 times, and that's with some of the flakiest squads ever put together by a top-flight club. It's merely coincidence that Emirates have sponsored the FA Cup as well as being Arsenal's main sponsors over that time.

I would really like it if for once, luck went our way in this competition. It has to be on the field though, because there is no chance we will get piss-easy draws round after round like City seem to do, or spawn our way to results the way the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and United always seem to.

I agree with the view that the TV networks have done more than most to ruin the 'magic' of the FA Cup. Games spread out over a 4-day weekend and the absolute stupidity of a 5:30pm kick-off for the final have seen to that. Also, I can't stand that lower league and non-league teams are allowed to get away with virtual assaults on the pitch because it's the 'magic of the cup', when the most minor or non-existent infractions get VARd the shit out of in the league.

1 hour ago, Trumo said:

I agree with the view that the TV networks have done more than most to ruin the 'magic' of the FA Cup. Games spread out over a 4-day weekend and the absolute stupidity of a 5:30pm kick-off for the final have seen to that. Also, I can't stand that lower league and non-league teams are allowed to get away with virtual assaults on the pitch because it's the 'magic of the cup', when the most minor or non-existent infractions get VARd the shit out of in the league.

Also... the draw taking place before some of the previous round's games have even kicked off.

• 5 weeks later...