You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Wolves 0 (Dec 6 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Seeing Klopp giving it the first pumps in front of the Kop is surely the best moment of the season so far? Ok, there was only a couple of thousand fans there but it was still great wasn’t it? The performance was too. Hell of a day for us and everyone will have an extra spring in their step today.

Much like Leicester a couple of weeks ago, I really thought this was going to be a hard game for us. Wolves has always been a tough nut for us to crack and that’s even when we’ve been at full strength. Now we were facing them without Alisson and Van Dijk, and Trent was only fit enough for the bench. Yet we smashed them anyway. 

We dominated and the second half in particular was great. We had two teenagers in the side as well as a young keeper making his league debut but you’d never have known because it just looked like Liverpool didn’t it? It doesn’t seem to matter who is called upon to fill in, we still always look like Liverpool. Certainly at Anfield anyway.

Even without some of our key players this team is just rolling on and wiping the floor with good teams. The record since losing Virgil is fantastc all things considered. Mind you, we may have lost the best centre back in the league, but we had the second best one coming in to replace him. Yeah that’s right, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Joel Matip is better than any other centre back in this league not named Van Dijk.

He’s fucking brilliant but because he’s so low profile it has largely gone under the radar. Pundits will talk about how he’s a good player, but they almost sound surprised when they say it, like it’s something they’re just discovering and that they’re revealing something the viewers don’t know. A lot of them probably don’t know. 

It’s partly because he misses so many games through injury, partly because Van Dijk gets most of the plaudits, and partly because he has zero interest in promoting himself. But Matip is so under-rated half the pundits don’t even know his name and call him “Matic”. Name me a better centre back in this league right now? You can’t, because there isn’t one.

With him fit and available we’ll still miss Van Dijk, but nowhere near as much. Especially with Fabinho doing such an admirable job back there too. Those two were the platform that this performance was built on. Don’t get me wrong, everyone was superb too, but when you have a solid base like that (I’m including Kelleher in that as well) it helps everyone else.

They probably won’t get the recognition they deserve but they won’t care either. They just do their jobs and let others get the glory. And there is plenty of glory to go around with this team. One week it’ll be Salah, the next Mané. Then Jota or Jones. Soon it’s going to be Bobby again, I can feel it in my water. He’s coming back to form.

Wolves will be disappointed with how they played but Nuno got it wrong with his formation. They’ve given us all we can handle by playing 3-5-2 and counter attacking on us, but for whatever reason he switched to a back four and as soon as I saw that I was confident we’d win easily. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic
6 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I'm with you on Coady. I think people romanticise him coming here because he's a scouser and he came through our youth team. If this wasn't the case I doubt anybody would be advocating signing him? 

Scouser ?  What colour is his fucking wheelie bin ?

• Upvote 2

Couldn’t agree more on Tydlesley & McCoist. It was as if it was a privilege to be there for them. McCoist was the same at the Derby 12 months ago. Clive even called a pen for Mo in the second half. As opposed to the sly digs from Tyler & co we usually hear. Even Scholes was complimentary afterwards.

And Coady is a cock. There’s been examples before of his knobhead behaviour (swapping ends in the title decider in May 19 so we attacked the Kop first half for one.) What ‘Red’ would have done that?

• Upvote 2

I’m glad he fucked up for the opener and I’m glad he got caught diving just because it vindicates what I’ve been saying about him. I’ve been telling you all for ages how much I don’t like Coady. It feels like it’s just me and my mum though because seemingly everyone else loves him. Maybe not after this carry on though. There’s plenty of room on the bus for you all though, so hop on board.

Fair play to you, it would have been so easy to be petty. Magnanimous to the last.

Of the many things I enjoyed last night, one was definitely the sight of Boly coming out of the defence, trying to bully Curtis off the ball - but Curtis stood up to him, held him off, before laying the ball off. He's maturing sooo quickly.

• Upvote 1

Ive not liked coady  ever since he turned us round for the last game of the 18/19 season. As you say, he was anticipating contact for the pen so I wouldn’t be too critical of him going down - as much self preservation as anything else. 

Klopp loves gini and must pull some strings to get him signed

• Upvote 1

Lovely game largely because, for once, I never felt like we'd get pegged back or beaten even when I thought Coady had cheated a penalty. The front three are recovering their form, Sadio's shooting is still off but they look better. You're right about Kelleher, it's his calm and unshowy way of going about things that impresses me, plus his claiming crosses and catching them. Good on him.

100% on Gini, just get it done, he can have any money he wants.

• Upvote 1

On Coady, I completely forgot about a couple of conversations my Dad had, had at the Academy. 

Under Rodger’s, about 3 or 4 time, we went to Kirkby. I can’t remember many of the players we had, none of them made it. I think Jerome Sinclair was the highest profile player.

Incidentally, we saw Loftus-Cheek play for Chelsea and was absolutely superb. I think we saw Henderson for the mancs as well... anyway I digress. 

A couple of times Dad got talking to a people who went to watch, and Coady always came up as being a prospect (I think a he was injured whenever we went) and all the feedback was he’s got a bad attitude, not as good as he reckons & doesn’t respect his team mates.

Have to admit, he seems alright to me. Maybe he’s realised the error of his ways a bit and matured. I appreciate where Dave is coming from though. 

• Upvote 1

On last night, I wasn’t bothered about going initially. I’ve been on the tour a couple of times and with nobody there, it just feels eerie. 2k still sounds a bit sterile. 

However, seeing the reception the players got off the supporters during the warm up, hearing “Bring On The Champions” before the game, Matip’s celebration and Klopp giving it biftas afterwards, all made me feel very jealous indeed. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic