You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Midtjylland (A) - Champions League - 9/12 - 17:55

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Odd evening, but entertaining in a strange way. As is always the way on here I am blaming Dave for blowing smoke up Euro refs arses last week.

The VAR stuff was a bit strange. I had no sound on  my stream so no insight into what was going on but for my

two-ha'pence the first guy was offside whatever dodgy lines they drew 10 minutes later  , their second 'goal' was definitely onside and Minamino's goal was a toss up whose arm it came off.

Their '2nd,' the guy who received the ball from the header was offside when he put the ball back into the box. He then stepped off the pitch then stepped back on to it to pass to the fella who put it in the net. No way was that goal on side or legit, Roger.

The Danish lads were well up for it - I guess it was their cup final and thankfully we don't seem to have any injuries.

The kids did well and broke their cherries. Kev was good again. We have our number 2 which is great. Trent got minutes and Tsimikas looked good. 

Really feel for Taki. Think a goal will make a big difference. He looks a bit lost and lacking confidence.

Keita was poor but good to have him back.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Kelleher brilliant again. Probably saves us the expense and hassle of getting an experienced back up keeper in the summer. Hopefully he plays games in the FA cup and will probably get called upon again if Allison has another muscle injury.

Dont think Minamino and Keita have much of a future here as they always struggle to make any impact when they get a chance. Origi is just treading water here and needs to move on.

Kelleher's best game of the three given the pressure he was under and kids playing in front of him. Very impressive.

6 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Personally,I would have finished there,agree with the rest though.

He's a funny one. He always seems to take a few games, then look boss for one or two games than he gets injured again just when he is finding form.

He's one of those that you can't rely on him though sadly. I think there is a player in there but not sure if we'll see much of it.

1 minute ago, The Golden Eel said:

So far, we can draw Barcelona, Sevilla, Lazio, Leipzig, Porto (at least I think Porto can't win the group), with two places still to be decided. At the minute, it would be Atletico and Monchengladbach, but a long way to go. 

Yeah but who could united draw in the next round? Oh wait........

5 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

He's a funny one. He always seems to take a few games, then look boss for one or two games than he gets injured again just when he is finding form.

He's one of those that you can't rely on him though sadly. I think there is a player in there but not sure if we'll see much of it.

I haven't seen it since the day my mate watched him on YouTube and said we'd signed a beast. Shite level for me and I hate seeing a player fail here apart from Sean Dundee

Big Virg offside, clattered and critically injured by Pickford = Offside Big Virg, free kick to Everton, no penalty and Big Virg out for the rest of the season

Midtjylland player offside, fouled (barely) by Chow Mein Kelleher = Penalty to Midtjylland and a yellow card for Chow Mein, without bothering to show the ref that the attacking player was offside in the first place

---

The people who are adamently against VAR in any shape or form have only had their view strengthened by the catastrophic officiating in what was a dead rubber.

I shouldn't be getting worked up over a match that doesn't actually matter, but it's the frequency of shit happening in all our games that is so infuriating.

Make no mistake, we were very poor for the last hour of this game, but even with the above, they still found time to disallow a goal for us that was allowed for the Mancs last night. We've been getting the shitty end of the stick with VAR so often, it was a surprise when Midyjylland's second goal was ruled out. 3 VAR checks in the second half added 8 minutes of stoppage time, when at least 2 or 3 minutes could have been chalked off by having the ref communicate with his VAR time WHILE LOOKING at the footage himself. Of course it helps if the VAR footage shows that a player was clearly offside in the build up to being brought down, as opposed to only showing the footage of whether there was contact in the area, as the ref was shown tonight. That is an outrageously bad call, and one I feel we will hear almost nothing about in subsequent discussions by the media.

In terms of the game itself, we had a great start when Mo ran through and bundled the ball into the net after barely a minute. Even before that, we had a comedy moment when Big Div broke on the right and played the ball towards Mo in the centre. Mo was so focussed on his run that he didn't realise the pass was coming behind him. It sounds weird, but it looked even weirder!

A chance for Diogol well saved, and another for Big Div that he scuffed wide when well placed, and it looked like we were coping pretty well. Taki was busy, and Leighton Clarkson (one errant pass aside) was looking confortable in midfield. Trent's passing radar was off all night, one very good cross aside. After half an hour though, a couple of our players looked gassed, and Naby started getting bullied in midfield. Midtjylland started getting a couple of half-chances and we were not making the ball stick at the top end.

The second half was awful. Apart from the officials doing their best to give the Danes a leg up by giving them free kicks for every 50/50, we just didn't get out of our own half. The young centre back duo of Rhys and Koumetio were having to drop far too deep. The one time we had a decent break, Diogol looked to play the ball to Mo too early and it got cut out. Diogol could have carried the ball further and given the defender a real dilemma on which of the two to cover.

Then at the end, Taki had a goal ruled out even though he was not offside in the build up, and it wasn't Sadio whose hand touch the ball after his header. It was taking the piss when that got chalked off, but hey, it's us! We get every baffling call given against us whereas Man Utd would be in the relegation zone and would never have even reached the CL if it weren't for the incredible number of calls in their favour. We are up against more than 11 opponents way too often. The free kick count seems to be against us in so many games, yet we are not a dirty team and we aren't the kind of side that indulges in the dark arts to break up the flow of a game.

In short, we were not good tonight even though it mattered not. The officials however we absolute garbage, so bad that it made you think that David Coote is now the VAR overlord for UEFA.

• Upvote 1

This isn't the game to give up on Keita, but I'm almost at the point of thinking now that if we sign a player to play for our style who isn't a physical specimen, he's going to fail. Both he and Minamino, despite the fact they came from sides with similar pressing philosophies to us and that this should increase their chances of success, both look small on the pitch, like they can't impose themselves, like they get walked over, like they aren't physically good enough.

16 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Big Virg offside, clattered and critically injured by Pickford = Offside Big Virg, free kick to Everton, no penalty and Big Virg out for the rest of the season

Midtjylland player offside, fouled (barely) by Chow Mein Kelleher = Penalty to Midtjylland and a yellow card for Chow Mein, without bothering to show the ref that the attacking player was offside in the first place

---

The people who are adamently against VAR in any shape or form have only had their view strengthened by the catastrophic officiating in what was a dead rubber.

I shouldn't be getting worked up over a match that doesn't actually matter, but it's the frequency of shit happening in all our games that is so infuriating.

Make no mistake, we were very poor for the last hour of this game, but even with the above, they still found time to disallow a goal for us that was allowed for the Mancs last night. We've been getting the shitty end of the stick with VAR so often, it was a surprise when Midyjylland's second goal was ruled out. 3 VAR checks in the second half added 8 minutes of stoppage time, when at least 2 or 3 minutes could have been chalked off by having the ref communicate with his VAR time WHILE LOOKING at the footage himself. Of course it helps if the VAR footage shows that a player was clearly offside in the build up to being brought down, as opposed to only showing the footage of whether there was contact in the area, as the ref was shown tonight. That is an outrageously bad call, and one I feel we will hear almost nothing about in subsequent discussions by the media.

In terms of the game itself, we had a great start when Mo ran through and bundled the ball into the net after barely a minute. Even before that, we had a comedy moment when Big Div broke on the right and played the ball towards Mo in the centre. Mo was so focussed on his run that he didn't realise the pass was coming behind him. It sounds weird, but it looked even weirder!

A chance for Diogol well saved, and another for Big Div that he scuffed wide when well placed, and it looked like we were coping pretty well. Taki was busy, and Leighton Clarkson (one errant pass aside) was looking confortable in midfield. Trent's passing radar was off all night, one very good cross aside. After half an hour though, a couple of our players looked gassed, and Naby started getting bullied in midfield. Midtjylland started getting a couple of half-chances and we were not making the ball stick at the top end.

The second half was awful. Apart from the officials doing their best to give the Danes a leg up by giving them free kicks for every 50/50, we just didn't get out of our own half. The young centre back duo of Rhys and Koumetio were having to drop far too deep. The one time we had a decent break, Diogol looked to play the ball to Mo too early and it got cut out. Diogol could have carried the ball further and given the defender a real dilemma on which of the two to cover.

Then at the end, Taki had a goal ruled out even though he was not offside in the build up, and it wasn't Sadio whose hand touch the ball after his header. It was taking the piss when that got chalked off, but hey, it's us! We get every baffling call given against us whereas Man Utd would be in the relegation zone and would never have even reached the CL if it weren't for the incredible number of calls in their favour. We are up against more than 11 opponents way too often. The free kick count seems to be against us in so many games, yet we are not a dirty team and we aren't the kind of side that indulges in the dark arts to break up the flow of a game.

In short, we were not good tonight even though it mattered not. The officials however we absolute garbage, so bad that it made you think that David Coote is now the VAR overlord for UEFA.

Wouldnt disagree with any of that. The point about united's handball goal standing yet Taki's goal being scrubbed is very pertinent.

I dont believe in conspiracy theories. The refs and VAR officials are just shit, inconsistent or both. It's supposed to level the field but one club in England at least is benefitting massively from it and their fans laughingly call us LiVARpool!

• Like 1