You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Nov 28 - Dec 4 2020)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg.c1fbcaffb0090e7b2d3f5068e60210dc.jpg

Saturday Nov 28:

Brighton 1 L 1. Well that was unpleasant. Just a real kick in the balls again. We weren’t great today but we were the better side and deserved the points. The lads are goosed. They’re either dropping like flies or they look tired as fuck because they’re having to play so many games. It’s a vicious circle. We’ve got loads of injuries so can’t rotate the squad, and because we can’t rotate the squad we’re getting more and more injuries.

Milner was playing his third full game in six days so it’s no wonder he broke down. Matip was left at home because we couldn’t put him in that situation. Fabinho had to sit out much of the Atalanta game because he’s just back from a hamstring, and Robbo is running on fumes and looks ripe for an injury of some sort. It’s a fucking nightmare, which is why Klopp is over-reacting to the whole 12.30 thing. He has a point, of course he does, but surely those two and a half hours difference between 12.30 and 3pm kick offs aren’t going to make THAT much difference?

He’s just pissed off about everything right now and I don’t blame him. I’d be lashing out in all directions if I were him too. Not sure Chris Wilder would be high on my list, but each to his own. Des Kelly was a bit of a twat in that post match interview today and did seem to be poking the bear a little bit. I do think some of his points were valid though, as were some of Klopp’s. 

To Jurgen’s credit he stayed and argued his case whereas a lot of managers would have stormed off at that line of questioning. It wasn’t comfortable to watch though and he’s looking a bit frazzled at the moment. It’s understandable, everything is going against us at the moment but personally I don’t want to see the manager looking as pissed off with everything as I am. I need to see him looking like he has it all in hand and to be a reassuring presence. That’s obviously difficult given the shit he’s having to deal with. 

In terms of VAR, I could just copy and paste what I wrote in the diary exactly a week ago after the farce at Old Trafford. It’s killing football and sucking the enjoyment out of it. Milner even said the same on Twitter. This is not football, it’s a fucking made for TV drama now.

Meanwhile, there were rumours today that a couple of funeral workers had been killed by Boca Juniors ultras because they took selfies with Diego’s corpse. Turns out it wasn’t true but it raised an interesting question. What kind of punishment would have been too much? Killing them would be excessive, obviously, but some level of retribution is in order I’d say.

It’s basically the Marcellus Wallace / Tony Rocky Horror discussion that Jules and Vincent had in Pulp Fiction. Marcellus threw Tony out of a fourth storey window for giving his wife a foot massage. Was that an over-reaction? Maybe, but Tony Rocky Horror had to know there would be consequences, just like the morons who took selfies with a dead Maradona should know that’s not cool. Now they’re issuing grovelling apologies and pleading for clemency. Good luck with that. For what it’s worth, I definitely think some kind of beating is warranted as you can’t be showing that level of disrespect just because he was famous. Imagine how his family must be feeling.

I’m still obsessing about Maradona by the way. The documentary was on Channel four tonight and I watched it again. It’s fucking brilliant, if you haven’t seen it you should as it’s an incredible look into all the shit that went down when he was in Italy. It’s also very sad, especially now. You see the fresh faced kid and then you see the mess he ended up as and all the trials and tribulations in between that caused it. It was emotional.

One thing that really stood out to me because I didn’t know any of this until I watched the documentary the first time was that Italy turned against him just because Argentina beat them in the semi final and Diego had asked Napoli fans to support Argentina. A lot of them did, as the game was being played in their stadium. After that, all bets were off and the press (not to mention the law) went after him with everything they had.

It’s not Maradona’s fault that some Neapolitans turned against Italy though. The rest of Italy has looked down on Naples and treated them like shit for decades. Fans of clubs in the north of Italy sing about Naples being dirty and the people being unwashed and in need of soap. It’s basically how Merseyside is treated by most of England. It got me thinking. If England were playing a World Cup semi final at Anfield against Uruguay when Suarez was in his pomp here, if he asked scousers to support Uruguay what percentage do you reckon would? 50%? 75%? 90%?

Obviously I would, but that doesn’t count for much as, hell, I’d have backed El Hadji Diouf even now if he asked me to support Senegal over England, and I can’t stand that cunt. 

Sunday Nov 29:

Going back to Klopp’s interview after the game yesterday. While I didn’t like Kelly’s confrontational approach, Klopp did start that whole argument with his response to a question about Milner’s injury. He said something like “you’ll be happy now” which was always going to draw some kind of response from any interviewer with a backbone. Obviously I side with Klopp as he’s right about us getting shafted with all these 12.30 kick offs, but he should probably let it go now as it’s not a fight he’s going to win.

We’re a massive fucking draw in the Asian market so BT are going to want us (or United) in that time slot as much as possible. They aren’t going to show Burnley v Everton and while Klopp is right to say this problem could be avoided if BT and Sky worked together, there’s as much chance of that happening as there is Everton doing something to help us out. Bet they're against the five subs rule just to spite us. Cunts.

On the pitch today there was a sickening injury to Raul Jimenez, who fractured his skull in a clash of heads with Sideshow Bob. I didn’t watch it and I don’t want to. I was told about the horrific noise which was clearly from his skull cracking, and I have no desire to see or hear that. I like Jimenez, he’s boss. I really hope he makes a full recovery, but so much of his game is about heading that there’s a good chance he might be finished, which is terrible really. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic
  • dave u unpinned this topic