You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Anderson, Derek Hatton arrested among others....

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

He's not wrong.

He isn't but it feels like the entire political class are corrupted even unintentionally bit by bit, I'll let that decision go if you back me on this decision, a million different power plays that leads to one giant mess. Even good intentions with enough concessions can end up corrupted. Until we have absolute transparency on a political level its going to happen. I've said for years the price to pay for public office is your finances are an open book, not what bits you buy with your public wage but everything else. Middle pages of every single local paper should be local accounts with links so you can check on every single penny spent in every department. Every share, business connection, meeting and deal an MP is involved in should be an open book. Local papers should provide information, websites every single day and a department that keeps track of our local representatives actions. If I see a new bin on a street I should be able to find it's cost, who installed it, who okayed it and how long the process took. If I drove past a new building site I should be able to go to my local paper every day and see the link I need and be able to find every detail about that site, who owns it, who sold it, the councils role. This should be set out simplistically as possible, so every day someone doesn't have to think I wonder how I can find that out or it will be a ball ache or fuck it I can't be arsed, you open the centre pages and the starting line is clear. They fill enough of these local papers with fucking gangsters, scumbags and adverts.

I'm on a tangent I don't know the possibilities whats realistic but if politics was a lot more transparent and accountability was a thing maybe the more dishonest, lazy ladder climbers might swerve public duty.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

The point is people will do nothing becuase these crooks hide behind a Labour badge and distract the electorate with talk of the “evil Tories”. Read the report and you see these gangsters have basically taken over the council and were systematically robbing it by selling property too cheap or buying land at inflated prices to enrich themselves and their mates. They get away with it becuase either people say opposition to them is politically motivated or “what about the Tories, they’re worse” mentality. Meanwhile they keep syphoning off the cash in plain sight. I think the decent people of the city need to ask themselves why they let this happen time and time again. 

He’s not wrong and it’s not unique to Liverpool, even though it’s currently ‘front and centre’ there.

Not sure what the alternatives are in that particular part of the world though. Not sure whether there’s a subtle ‘Vote Tory’ message underlying these posts but, even if I give him the benefit of the doubt there, I can’t see that happening and nor should it.

I guess a protest might come through some kind of low turnout, or votes for some of the other parties, but really the  long game might be the better play. Weed out the corruption and dead wood and try and make the Labour Party more appealing to the young talent they could tap into in Liverpool but who may be turned off by its current leadership. 

It might take a while but one thing is for sure. Liverpool should stay red and never be blue. 

15 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

He isn't but it feels like the entire political class are corrupted even unintentionally bit by bit, I'll let that decision go if you back me on this decision, a million different power plays that leads to one giant mess. Even good intentions with enough concessions can end up corrupted. Until we have absolute transparency on a political level its going to happen. I've said for years the price to pay for public office is your finances are an open book, not what bits you buy with your public wage but everything else. Middle pages of every single local paper should be local accounts with links so you can check on every single penny spent in every department. Every share, business connection, meeting and deal an MP is involved in should be an open book. Local papers should provide information, websites every single day and a department that keeps track of our local representatives actions. If I see a new bin on a street I should be able to find it's cost, who installed it, who okayed it and how long the process took. If I drove past a new building site I should be able to go to my local paper every day and see the link I need and be able to find every detail about that site, who owns it, who sold it, the councils role. This should be set out simplistically as possible, so every day someone doesn't have to think I wonder how I can find that out or it will be a ball ache or fuck it I can't be arsed, you open the centre pages and the starting line is clear. They fill enough of these local papers with fucking gangsters, scumbags and adverts.

I'm on a tangent I don't know the possibilities whats realistic but if politics was a lot more transparent and accountability was a thing maybe the more dishonest, lazy ladder climbers might swerve public duty.

Agree fully.

The vast majority of this is recorded, the problem is what is deliberately obscured that's where the problems lie and I agree it's not all that simple especially in a global world which operates on local levels.

I know for a fact my local CLP councillor elections are a bit of a stitch up, how do I know, I should have been on the ballot, but was asked if I would follow a certain direction and I walked out.

Don't want to get in to the partisanship at local level, but like big government there is a hegemony and artificial heiracy that needs to be broken and addressed before any meaningful progress can be made.

Just read Rotten Boroughs and you'll see this is everywhere, not just 'us' or 'them'.

I will be reapplying in a few years, if we still have a party by then, and hopefully I can do something meaningful.

I've said it a few times but the problem goes back decades and is to do with a general erosion of morals in terms of people don't value anything bigger or higher than themselves. There's no genuine, healthy nationalism here or civic/community pride, at least not like there used to be. 

If you put people around a table for any kind of group endeavour, everyone is wired/trained to think about number one and what they can get out of it. 

If Johnson or Osborne or the likes found out you were paying your taxes they'd pat you on the back in public, but secretly think you were a dickhead. On any big project, everyone is on the screw. The company will be looking to screw over the public purse, the consultants will be looking to screw over the company, the company will be looking to screw over the contractors, all to squeeze an extra 50 pence out of it all, rather than think how will this project enhance the city/region/country. 

That's why bankers are happy to nuke whole economies in order to get their ten grand bonus and why coppers fiddle stats. It's no longer about the wider group and how it functions, but about making bank/keeping your job and looking out for number one. The drip drip of Thatcherism like battery acid on a wooden floor. 

• Upvote 4

I've said it a few times but the problem goes back decades and is to do with a general erosion of morals in terms of people don't value anything bigger or higher than themselves. There's no genuine, healthy nationalism here or civic/community pride, at least not like there used to be. 

Greed is good. No such thing as society. Thatcher's 80s.

• Upvote 1

Send in the Tories to help the Scousers now

To stop chunky Anderson stealing the cash cow

Gangsters running amok with the city land

The people of our city need to take a stand

A saviour from the south a man of honour and pride

Is needed to stop the rot and save Merseyside

We need a hero like Hezza to cure the faults

A man who is driven and knows his salts

But remember this and pay attention

Corruption isn’t just a new invention

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

The point is people will do nothing becuase these crooks hide behind a Labour badge and distract the electorate with talk of the “evil Tories”. Read the report and you see these gangsters have basically taken over the council and were systematically robbing it by selling property too cheap or buying land at inflated prices to enrich themselves and their mates. They get away with it becuase either people say opposition to them is politically motivated or “what about the Tories, they’re worse” mentality. Meanwhile they keep syphoning off the cash in plain sight. I think the decent people of the city need to ask themselves why they let this happen time and time again. 

My point was Mal loves a protest. I've really got no horse in this race other than hoping the blooshite get fucked over, obviously. 

3 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Bullseye. We’re our own worst enemy here. Labour have been

killing us with their kindness for years in this city. Bringing fuck all investment in to one of the most famous cities in the world shows their incompetence and they’ve been allowed to run riot while shouting blame the tories for cutting our budget while snorting the trough. 

Lived on Vauxhall road for the last 20 years and I swear down there has been constant unnecessary roadworks to Leeds street and Great Howard Street for 19 of them at a cost of billions while the areas been allowed to rot. These cunts have done more to manage decline in this city than the tories could ever have wished for. The L4, 5, 6 & 7 postcodes should put in to comic relief for funding as theyre like 3rd world countries now. 

The best thing to happen to Labour is the tories being in power cos the lazy cunts are more than happy being employed as the professional opposition than having to take any responsibility in getting things done.

After reading about how the Labour high command sabotaged Corbyn and now this coming out I’ll never vote for them again. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Red74 said:

killing us with their kindness for years in this city. Bringing fuck all investment in to one of the most famous cities in the world shows their incompetence and they’ve been allowed to run riot while shouting blame the tories for cutting our budget while snorting the trough. 

Lived on Vauxhall road for the last 20 years and I swear down there has been constant unnecessary roadworks to Leeds street and Great Howard Street for 19 of them at a cost of billions while the areas been allowed to rot. These cunts have done more to manage decline in this city than the tories could ever have wished for. The L4, 5, 6 & 7 postcodes should put in to comic relief for funding as theyre like 3 world countries now. 

The best thing to happen to Labour is the tories being in power cos the lazy cunts are more than happy being employed as the professional opposition than having to take any responsibility in getting things done.

After reading about how the Labour high command sabotaged Corbyn and now this coming out I’ll never vote for them again. 

I think you’re spot on about those postcodes being forgotten as the “regeneration” funds did up the city centre. 

Good book is by Stuart Maconie retracing the Jarrow March post Brexit.

Labour didn’t back them then either. Thought they were communist. 

We’re not unique in experiencing this decline, but as you say you’d have expected Labour to deliver more for one of the “core” cities. 

27 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Lived on Vauxhall road for the last 20 years and I swear down there has been constant unnecessary roadworks to Leeds street and Great Howard Street for 19 of them at a cost of billions while the areas been allowed to rot. These cunts have done more to manage decline in this city than the tories could ever have wished for. The L4, 5, 6 & 7 postcodes should put in to comic relief for funding as theyre like 3rd world countries now. 

I live in L6 how do I go about applying for new funding. This new summerhouse is crippling me. Rattan isn’t cheap.

4 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think the key difference is these allegations have been proven.

Where the Hancock (PPE), Jenrick (Housing 35 million) and Patel (Bullying) instances dis-proven? I'm sure they were all found to be true but engineered to the public in a way that they weren't deemed scandalous. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Where the Hancock (PPE), Jenrick (Housing 35 million) and Patel (Bullying) instances dis-proven? I'm sure they were all found to be true but engineered to the public in a way that they weren't deemed scandalous. 

Hancock was unlawful, Jenrick proven but brushed aside and Patel broke ministerial code 'unintentionally' and it was the silly civil service who need to 'man up'.

12 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think the key difference is these allegations have been proven.

Allegations against Hatton were thrown out of court, but you are happy to throw his name around.*

* I am not defending Hatton just pointing out the tribal hypocrisy.

• Upvote 1

I have never voted Labour locally as the councillors where I have lived have all been hands on. The only Labour councillors who bothered were man and wife and grew up with my parents. I have voted Liberal or Lib Dem locally since I could vote. I have said before i’m not as informed or involved as some but a cunt is a cunt in my eye.

This shit is amazing, it's like something from The Wire.

Liverpool City Council gave contract to mayor's son’s company - BBC News

Liverpool City Council gave contract to mayor's son’s company

Liverpool City Council awarded a contract to a firm run by a son of then-mayor Joe Anderson, despite it not being on an approved contractors' list.

A government-commissioned report has revealed Site Safety Consultants (SSC) got the deal managing health and safety work when a flyover was demolished.

Inspector Max Caller raised questions about why and how a 2019 contract came to be awarded to SSC, which in addition to not being on the approved contractors list had never before worked directly for the council, according to the report.

Mr Caller's report also said the mayor's "myopic view that suppliers of services must have a Liverpool postcode... demonstrates, at best, a lack of understanding... and at worst, an attempt to stifle healthy competition in tender processes".

David Anderson was one of the five men - including his father Joe Anderson and Liverpool's former deputy leader Derek Hatton - arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit bribery and witness intimidation.

No charges have been brought and all deny wrongdoing as the police investigation continues.