You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Anderson, Derek Hatton arrested among others....

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Tip of the iceberg, they're all over the country and some are designed and initiated to never have tenants or people to buy them, they are so lucrative they don't need to be in the financial considerations, any of teh formaer is a bonus.

They hold money which is untaxable as capital gains can't touch it as they are technically run at a loss.

In some cases they'll get huge tax rebates as well.

Interesting.

In the City where I live they closed the Library down to turn it in to a block of flats. They are trying to do the same in my hometown as well and all the local Tory voters are up in arms about it.

13 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Interesting.

In the City where I live they closed the Library down to turn it in to a block of flats. They are trying to do the same in my hometown as well and all the local Tory voters are up in arms about.

You’ll notice them more and more now you’re thinking about them. Business parks are filled with them as well.

You get a Chinese/Russian/Anywhere that you’re money isn’t truly protected business person. They effectively use the buildings as piggy banks for their cash as their government can’t get at it and the UK, being the ‘welcoming’ nation we are, are happy facilitate this as it looks to add to our investment bottom line, but really generates very little apart ‘potential’ benefits somewhere down the line. Smoke and mirrors with investment.

It was part of Jenricks building reforms that you could actually make places smaller so you have more units as part of the overall value. So I put in, say, 1b, when valued on individual units it’s worth 2b. You’ve got 2b of assets on paper and are not paying tax on it and a large part of building costs and ‘expertise’ can be claimed back in tax benefits.

If the above ‘costs’ and equity are less than any losses you might be making you are making profit for nothing on an investment that is, or should theoretically be, gaining value.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

You’ll notice them more and more now you’re thinking about them. Business parks are filled with them as well.

This

The business park area I work in has lately had a number of the little estates turned into flats. Fuck knows who'd want to live around here 

1 minute ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

You need a ratcheting council tax on empty properties that goes up every year by 50% every year until they are occupied. The same with shops. Make it painful to blight our city centres with empty properties. 

You’ll find no argument here, the tower owners and the rentiers are where the real wealth is being hidden and needs to be made fully part of the economic system and not excluded and it’s own self contained wealth generating economy. 

16 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

ExRFg_kXIAMgwkZ?format=png&name=900x900

There's been all sorts of whistle blowing from Council officers during the investigation - they've never had anyone to turn to before. The "environment of intimidation" isn't a surprise. I know of officers getting calls from Members (local councillors) at all times day and night demanding things. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Aren't they building a few office blocks for a sort of 'tech' area down the Baltic Quarter? Whats happening with the movie studios development on the old Littlewoods site? No excuse for the new hospital not to be up and running. Feels like we get close but the plus pulled. Hopefully change is made for the better in terms of development and I include Bramley Moore in that. 

Good to see they are getting on with the Shakespeare North Playhouse in Prescot. 

The Baltic Bollocks is as dodgy an area as they come. I know, believe me.

7 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

Couldn’t think of any when I wrote that. Which ones are they?

Home Bargains, Liverpool FC, Lunya, Dirty Sports. There's the Bluecoat too, of course. Probably a few more independents I'm overlooking.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Home Bargains, Liverpool FC, Lunya, Dirty Sports. There's the Bluecoat too, of course. Probably a few more independents I'm overlooking.

Was really thinking how bad it looks with the Debenhams now closed permanently. I’ll be sure to pick up some chicken koka noodles next time I’m in Home and Bargains flagship store. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

Was really thinking how bad it looks with the Debenhams now closed permanently. I’ll be sure to pick up some chicken koka noodles next time I’m in Home and Bargains flagship store. 

Isn't that a national problem though? Shops closing everywhere. Liverpool is pretty good for shopping, it's one of its actual strengths.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

The curry noodles are where it's at, surely. 

I think we need a poll.

• Upvote 2

People need to go to jail. Sick of greedy bastards in a position of power getting a slap on the wrist and retiring on their unethical gains. Anderson needs catapulting into a Lagrange point and preserved so future generations can pick up a telescope and see what greed does.

Jenrick can join him.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

People need to go to jail. Sick of greedy bastards in a position of power getting a slap on the wrist and retiring on their unethical gains. Anderson needs catapulting into a Lagrange point and preserved so future generations can pick up a telescope and see what greed does.

Jenrick can join him.

Nasa couldn't build a catapult strong enough to fling him down the stairs mate 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

The point here is that this is obvious evidence of corruption but more fundamentally this is Council money that could be spent on schools, social care or providing more housing. They are stealing from other people in the same city knowing how badly this money is needed. 

Twas ever thus.

There's a reason we used to have the highest council tax in the country under Labour, before the Lib Dems got in.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Twas ever thus.

There's a reason we used to have the highest council tax in the country under Labour, before the Lib Dems got in.

That coalition with the tories did wonders for the city and its people. 

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Things have certainly been tickety-boo in this country since it ended in 2015.

Oh don't get me wrong the Tories are the absolute pits. I just wouldn't brag too much about how the Lib Dems have impacted the North West to point score against this abhorrent Labour Councillor behaviour of late. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Oh don't get me wrong the Tories are the absolute pits. I just wouldn't brag too much about how the Lib Dems have impacted the North West to point score against this abhorrent Labour Councillor behaviour of late. 

Regardless of anything else, I was only talking about the Lib Dem council that was in charge from 1998 to 2010. The fact that they were in charge for so long at all is proof of how bad things got here.

• Upvote 2

Not sure anything changed between the tories and lib dems down here as our Tory MP is nowhere to be seen while our Leb Dem mayor cries there's nothing he can do while he bends over the table to build more high rises and wastes more and more money making us a relevant new town. 

They're all fucking crooks the lot of them 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Regardless of anything else, I was only talking about the Lib Dem council that was in charge from 1998 to 2010. The fact that they were in charge for so long at all is proof of how bad things got here.

Hahaha 

At the very least, we need to do away with elected mayors. I remember the public debates when the elected mayor was first proposed, which always seemed to involve my dad arguing against and Liam Fogarty arguing in favour. My father was always pointing out how many hits you got if you Googled "mayor" and "corruption".

3 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Isn't that a national problem though? Shops closing everywhere. Liverpool is pretty good for shopping, it's one of its actual strengths.

Yeah very true nationwide it’s a massive problem, just I think Liverpool became over reliant on the leisure and retail sectors. 

However, hopefully if things start to get back to “normal” Liverpool will benefit from people’s reluctance to travel overseas for holiday.