You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Anderson, Derek Hatton arrested among others....

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think the drive into Manchester looks a mess all the high rises dominate the surrounding city centre. Its been a while since I've been. 

The ones in Deansgate just look like long pieces of lead. If they had a decent design they would look alright. The rate that everything gets built there is the complete opposite of Liverpool 

I sound like Brian Sewell or Prince Charles on this thread. 

The student gaffs by Scottie and the tunnel are called Caro: expensive in Spanish. 

It’s all coming out in the wash, but the stories I heard over Walton Hall Park and “fires” starting to make the area l and park look bad was over 4 years ago. 

What is true is the political fallout for this nationally is immeasurable. They must have known it was going on in Westminster, but chose to act when it was most opportune. 

It seems like a lifetime ago but didn’t Cameron/government come to the city in 2010 after the election and basically say there’s nothing down for you.

So for all the kicking Labour going on at the moment let’s not forget typical

Tory voters think we’re all scrounging, moaning, thieving left wing gobshites, but are the first to ask where the money and the army is when their house floods, or they want to build housing that isn’t 6 figures. 

6 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

The student gaffs by Scottie and the tunnel are called Caro: expensive in Spanish. 

It’s all coming out in the wash, but the stories I heard over Walton Hall Park and “fires” starting to make the area l and park look bad was over 4 years ago. 

What is true is the political fallout for this nationally is immeasurable. They must have known it was going on in Westminster, but chose to act when it was most opportune. 

It seems like a lifetime ago but didn’t Cameron/government come to the city in 2010 after the election and basically say there’s nothing down for you.

So for all the kicking Labour going on at the moment let’s not forget typical

Tory voters think we’re all scrounging, moaning, thieving left wing gobshites, but are the first to ask where the money and the army is when their house floods, or they want to build housing that isn’t 6 figures. 

Yeah, this mixed in with the Croyden debacle and a few others are manna from heaven for them.

'Us, crooks? Have you seen what Labour have been doing!'

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Was there any change in perception when the Lib Dems were at the helm or was it an officer issue?

My impression, which my dad agreed with when we spoke about it yesterday, was that all this dodgy shit is largely driven by officers, but that the Lib Dems were a bit better at holding them to account.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think you massively over estimate how much they care about Liverpool. They’ve got an 80 seat national majority, they are unlikely to control the council even after the boundary changes but still people are somehow trying to make this a Tory thing. This is part of the problem, the local Labour council are exposed as being massively corrupt but somehow for some people the act of exposing this corruption is a tory plot against the city. One day you will wake up and see how you are being conned. Anderson and his mates are not Labour, they are crooks and gangsters hiding behind a red rosette. 

Do you think the people of Liverpool should vote Tory. 

20 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think you massively over estimate how much they care about Liverpool. They’ve got an 80 seat national majority, they are unlikely to control the council even after the boundary changes but still people are somehow trying to make this a Tory thing. This is part of the problem, the local Labour council are exposed as being massively corrupt but somehow for some people the act of exposing this corruption is a tory plot against the city. One day you will wake up and see how you are being conned.  

Doesn’t matter how much they care, they’ll not pass up an opportunity for a false equivalence arguments to distract, it’s part of what makes them successful, tae ability to manage moral outrage in their favour whilst being the worst culprits.

’Oh, billions spent on PPE? We did what needed to be done in a national emergency. Labour on the other hand did you hear about the corruption their councils were up to, let me tell you scandal. You can’t trust the commies’ 

Doesn’t matter about the majority they’ll use it when ever they need to deflect away from their own, and worse, corruption.

Altogether predictable and people will lap it up. 

Agree with your wider point about representation, but you find the congregation are pretty tuned in and can see through the faux moral equivalence.

This requires a full investigation, rethink and accountability through independent bodies and those finding and safeguards should be implemented. The same with any other number of scandals bubbling under. Anyone, no matter what their political allegiance, should be brought to justice fully.

Labour need to wash their hands of these people, apologise fully and work on restoring it’s reputation after individuals used the power that being a local Labour leader allowed them to enrich themselves and, I agree, that starts with having good, local people represent them and their interests.

You seem to be advocating a position which would allow others to benefit, seems, how you say, suspicious given your associations.

Know your audience.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think anyone would be better than the current administration. Read the report, they were spending millions buying derelict land, selling off council to their mates and paying Anderson’s son £250k. It has probably cost the council £10 million plus. Think how many laptops for poor kids that would have bought. 

I dont disagree. Labour don't deserve the vote but neither do the Tories. So it's a case of anyone but either. 

3 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think anyone would be better than the current administration. Read the report, they were spending millions buying derelict land, selling off council to their mates and paying Anderson’s son £250k. It has probably cost the council £10 million plus. Think how many laptops for poor kids that would have bought. 

Jenrick gave more than that away in a ten minute meeting.

We can all do the false equivalence nonsense.

• Upvote 1

We need to get our house in order a kick the rats out of the council, is that in dispute on here? No. Mentioning the shenanigans going on in other councils and the hypocrisy around it is not blaming everything on the Tories it is pointing out that there seems to be rules for and not the other all over the country, including Liverpool. What has gone on here is disgraceful and the apathy must now stop, what this government get away with is beyond belief. Tories cannot lecture anyone on corruption. Think that is the point without continually going round the houses.

• Upvote 1

The solution isn’t to vote Tory though. Never has been, never should be. I don’t think anybody should but, whether this is fair or not, I hold the people of Liverpool to higher standards.

Where other former Labour strongholds have fallen to their web of lies, including where I live, Liverpool, by and large, has stayed red. Certainly not a perfect red, much work to be done, but voting blue is not the answer. It’ll be out of the frying pan and throwing the City head long into the fire. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

The solution isn’t to vote Tory though. Never has been, never should be. I don’t think anybody should but, whether this is fair or not, I hold the people of Liverpool to higher standards.

Where other former Labour strongholds have fallen to their web of lies, including where I live, Liverpool, by and large, has stayed red. Certainly not a perfect red, much work to be done, but voting blue is not the answer. It’ll be out of the frying pan and throwing the City head long into the fire. 

Probably because Murdoch has less of a sway in Liverpool. There's a problem with letting power get comfy, Labour and the voters have gotten complacent. There have always been rumours about Anderson and the council why has it taken this long to come out, why does the media not investigate whispers of corruption when it hears them. Is investigative journalism dead.

15 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Probably because Murdoch has less of a sway in Liverpool. There's a problem with letting power get comfy, Labour and the voters have gotten complacent. There have always been rumours about Anderson and the council why has it taken this long to come out, why does the media not investigate whispers of corruption when it hears them. Is investigative journalism dead.

The Echo is the local paper. More bothered about reporting about what dress Holly Willoughby wore on This Morning or who won on the Chase.

11 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Agreed, there absolutely should be an investigation. Those that have been complicit in damaging the reputation and standard of living of the people of Liverpool should be held to account. 

I don’t have all the answers as to how this should be done, there’s people on here far better informed than me. I am fairly sure I haven’t heard or read anything that suggests voting Tory is the way out of this hole though. If there is a valid argument for voting for them (not an argument to not vote Labour, I get that) then I’d be interested to read it. 

14 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Agreed, there absolutely should be an investigation. Those that have been complicit in damaging the reputation and standard of living of the people of Liverpool should be held to account. 

I don’t have all the answers as to how this should be done, there’s people on here far better informed than me. I am fairly sure I haven’t heard or read anything that suggests voting Tory is the way out of this hole though. If there is a valid argument for voting for them (not an argument to not vote Labour, I get that) then I’d be interested to read it. 

Voting Tory is a disgusting proposition but voting Labour in this city after this? Fuck that. I've posted elsewhere that voting in a Tory council might shake things up a bit at least but the actual idea sickens me. At least as voters we should be more thoughtful and pragmatic when it comes to local or national elections and not be so tribal. Political parties aren't football clubs and you CAN fuck them off when they go to shit. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I think you massively over estimate how much they care about Liverpool. They’ve got an 80 seat national majority, they are unlikely to control the council even after the boundary changes but still people are somehow trying to make this a Tory thing. This is part of the problem, the local Labour council are exposed as being massively corrupt but somehow for some people the act of exposing this corruption is a tory plot against the city. One day you will wake up and see how you are being conned. Anderson and his mates are not Labour, they are crooks and gangsters hiding behind a red rosette. 

Is this you, lad? 

As has been pointed out, we’ve all been aware of it for years. You keep banging the Tory drum for some reason though. Again, no councillors since 1994 in the city. No campaigning to change “hearts and minds”. 

The man who delivered the statement on Wednesday defrauded a Labour council by £45 million quid so “the Marxists couldn’t get their hands on it”. 

The only thing Tory economic policy has increased on Merseyside is food bank use and poverty wages. 

I know what you’re saying is right. They’re a pitiful gang of crooks that have sullied the name of the city. People do speak out about it, there is local non partisan opposition, but it costs time and money to achieve anything.

Must seem a lot easier to achieve change where high streets have got more than fast food outlets, betting shops, converted pubs and 7:11s on

them.

63920EF9-6379-44E2-BB09-FD7A3200F765.jpeg

• Upvote 7

53 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

The Echo is the local paper. More bothered about reporting about what dress Holly Willoughby wore on This Morning or who won on the Chase.

Or failing to explain to its readers today why their kids’ll never be able to afford a house because there’s 3 property investors to every owner occupier enquiry. 

7 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Might of been after his Big Society thing here, remember the tory think tank in 2008 telling us all to get to Oxford and Cambridge too and the Lim Dem ginger rodent saying the same I think...

I heard Peter Hooton talking about it at a The Farm gig in 2010, stuck with me.

Spend the same per pupil as Eton or Winchester or Westminster and the lads and girls of the city would wipe the floor with the posh kids. 

5 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Obviously none of this impacts negatively on St George's Hall.

190524IMGLiverpool Lime Street up for development of the year BODY.jpg

500.jpg

download.jpeg.jpg

It is truly shocking. But this is part of what I don't understand. How can that other image you posted get rejected because of opposition to the design because of the surroundings, yet we end up with this fucking shit. 

5 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think the drive into Manchester looks a mess all the high rises dominate the surrounding city centre. Its been a while since I've been. 

Manchester is just about the ugliest city I've seen in western Europe. They've been great at attracting business, no doubt about that at all. They've been great at drawing in government money for projects too. But the place is a fucking shit hole on a par with that fucking mess Troy has posted for lime Street. 

2 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Is anyone defending Anderson? You seem to keep posting that people are, but i think everyone is saying exactly as you are, him and his associates are crooks. All anyone else is pointing out is those in Westminster calling Anderson out are bigger fucking crooks. It's like a shop lifter getting called out by Al Capone. 

55 minutes ago, Rocky Sullivan said:

Voting Tory is a disgusting proposition but voting Labour in this city after this? Fuck that. I've posted elsewhere that voting in a Tory council might shake things up a bit at least but the actual idea sickens me. At least as voters we should be more thoughtful and pragmatic when it comes to local or national elections and not be so tribal. Political parties aren't football clubs and you CAN fuck them off when they go to shit. 

As some posted earlier, maybe this Yip character is the way to go. The more I think about it, the more I think I'll vote Yip for mayor and Green for my councillor. As for the city region gig, I think I'll likely go Rotherham, although my instinct tells me he must have known all about what was going on and just stood by. 

Birkdale Tory candidate goes for the “nuclear” option of “look at Liverpool” when challenged for calling Bill Esterton MP and Sefton out over some local issues involving Persimmion, that well known working class champion company and in no way a Tory party donor. 

D750303C-1B5D-4E7D-A89D-C60A6EAE414C.jpeg