You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Marine

Section_31

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Deserve a thread of their own I think, fair play to them and best of luck against Spurs. On a related to note, I think I'm the only person in Merseyside who's never played for them. 

I played for about 4 different teams in the Crosby and District Sunday league and in each team there was about 4 players who had either played for them or "had trials" for them. 

The club is just bizarre, run by the type of people who are moderators on rawk, Nimbys and people who think the end of the universe is the bottom of South Road.

• Upvote 1

"Sorry whats that? You want to fall on some smack? Fuck off" 

Made up for the manager, big Red apparently. The chairman can fuck off though. He was calling for Null & Void and being a proper dick about it on Radio Merseyside in April/May time. Sounded like a proper bitter Bluenose. 

Don't hink they can go up much further on the football league ladder due to the ground. They were always saying about moving to Chaffers playing fields which was massive but there's only one road leading up to it so knowing Crosby everyone would object. 

They also looked at the Marina before the Lakeside leisure centre was built. Think they are stuck there for a long time. 

Formby sold their old ground and moved to by Tesco then ended up going bust so that may put them off. 

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Don't hink they can go up much further on the football league ladder due to the ground. They were always saying about moving to Chaffers playing fields which was massive but there's only one road leading up to it so knowing Crosby everyone would object. 

They also looked at the Marina before the Lakeside leisure centre was built. Think they are stuck there for a long time. 

Formby sold their old ground and moved to by Tesco then ended up going bust so that may put them off. 

Shame that, Formby had been around over 100 years I think, not sure but I think they also reached a certain stage of the FA Cup, as did Bootle? 

There was some bad knobhead I worked with who blagged his way onto the board there. He would leave loads of stupid Formby related messages on his out of office, anyway about 6 months after he blagged his way onto the board they folded. 

I think they only git to the first round proper once. Basically selling their ground screwed them as they were right by Formby village, not far from the train station and ended up on some open field on the bypass behind Tesco. They also shared Burscoughs ground as well. 

They were hoping that some of the locally based professionals would get involved to fund them. 

5 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

I don’t think Marine have any pretentious to be higher up. To be honest 

I think they’re just aiming to be around in another 100 years.

When they won the league twice in the early 90’s,  that was their chance to go further. But as you’ll know, the ground held them back from going up to the conference. They had a really good side and as they was no conference north they were a tier higher too. I reckon they could have gone top half of the conference with that side. 

I don’t think there’s a chance they’ll take a new ground and risk it all for year or two in the conference.

I doubt the grounds worth that much. Jubilee Road has always been probably one of lowest values around there and I’m not sure that new housing would raise a great price and not sure that the commercial value would be all that either as the access in college road for a supermarket would be shite. 

You’re spot on about the people running it. There’s a few lads from my year at Manor who go regular and can see them as higher club echelons when the time comes 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

Benos is alright opposite the station, around by the Doric is grim. The Caradoc was OK but that was years ago. 

Why is it called "Bennos" when it's always been known as the Railway?

Round by the Doric is awful, my mate used to live in one of those tower blocks and we went for a pint in the Doric. Crossed over that park with the kids playground and underneath the swings were a load o smackhead needles. 

The Caradoc was funny. No draft ale, just cans and bottles they probably got from Costco. Sat in the lounge and there were a load of old milk crates with plywood on top of them. My mate put his feet up on them and the barman told him off for putting his feet up on the stage.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Why is it called "Bennos" when it's always been known as the Railway?

Round by the Doric is awful, my mate used to live in one of those tower blocks and we went for a pint in the Doric. Crossed over that park with the kids playground and underneath the swings were a load o smackhead needles. 

The Caradoc was funny. No draft ale, just cans and bottles they probably got from Costco. Sat in the lounge and there were a load of old milk crates with plywood on top of them. My mate put his feet up on them and the barman told him off for putting his feet up on the stage.

I've no idea, it's been called that for a couple of years, I think it's been done out recently? When I'm home I usually call in the Red Lion, a dump, to see the mate but it's closed now. I was in Benos about 2 years ago, it was OK and I was with a few lads, one knew me but it was only when I was going back into town I realised it was Foxy, hadn't seen him for 30 odd years. 

In about 81 they filmed in the Caradoc, a mate was in there, later died through the gear, with a few others, they interviewed one lad and said what do you do with your day, he said I have a beer smoke some pot and play a bit of pool, then I go home for me tea and come back again and do the same, something like that. 

When the Red closed last year I heard all the pool tables etc were taken down to the Caradoc.

The fella who done the Pacific up last year was supposed to be doing the same to the Red but isn't now which is a shame as it could be good and not much around there these days, had some great times there years ago, good bands. 

The Kents has gone and turned into a shit hole Trivelles, they started calling that Ma Kents , a load of bollocks. 

My mate lives off Sandy Rd and I sometimes met him in the Claremont, also closed, a bit grim as well. 

Apparently a few of the mates bevvy down South Rd now so I'll have to have a look next time I'm up. 

8 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I've no idea, it's been called that for a couple of years, I think it's been done out recently? When I'm home I usually call in the Red Lion, a dump, to see the mate but it's closed now. I was in Benos about 2 years ago, it was OK and I was with a few lads, one knew me but it was only when I was going back into town I realised it was Foxy, hadn't seen him for 30 odd years. 

In about 81 they filmed in the Caradoc, a mate was in there, later died through the gear, with a few others, they interviewed one lad and said what do you do with your day, he said I have a beer smoke some pot and play a bit of pool, then I go home for me tea and come back again and do the same, something like that. 

When the Red closed last year I heard all the pool tables etc were taken down to the Caradoc.

The fella who done the Pacific up last year was supposed to be doing the same to the Red but isn't now which is a shame as it could be good and not much around there these days, had some great times there years ago, good bands. 

The Kents has gone and turned into a shit hole Trivelles, they started calling that Ma Kents , a load of bollocks. 

My mate lives off Sandy Rd and I sometimes met him in the Claremont, also closed, a bit grim as well. 

Apparently a few of the mates bevvy down South Rd now so I'll have to have a look next time I'm up. 

The Caradoc is fucking grim now, type of place you wipe your feet coming out.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

The Caradoc is fucking grim now, type of place you wipe your feet coming out.

I can't see me going down there, used to many years ago it was OK then, sometimes I'd meet a mate or two who were on the ships and get stuff.

Therr was a few around there, the Inty and St Wnifreds? 

Just now, easytoslip said:

I can't see me going down there, used to many years ago it was OK then, sometimes I'd meet a mate or two who were on the ships and get stuff.

Therr was a few around there, the Inty and St Wnifreds? 

The Inty’s gone now and the Winnies is now the Gateway. Used to be shitloads of boozers all around that area and bands in nearly all of them. Nothing like that now.

Just now, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

The Inty’s gone now and the Winnies is now the Gateway. Used to be shitloads of boozers all around that area and bands in nearly all of them. Nothing like that now.

Yep, years ago we would go around to see bands in pubs, Thunderboots, Thin on Top, Nickelodeon and Joker etc. 

Dockers Hook  The Windham, Red Lion, good old days really as there was a band nearly everywhere if you weren't going to town. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Used to live at the back of that pub the Manor House. It got closed after lack of punters and every time there was a party in the function room it would spill out onto the street into a proper brawl. Saw one fight where people were throwing chocolate gateau cake at each other. Went on holiday to Australia and when I came back the plot was just a pile of bricks as someone had burnt it down when I was away. The old greyhound track behind the international pub was rife for flytipping and pyromaniacs. 

Used to go the Red Lion quite a lot as I used to go the boxing gym upstairs and the coach was also the landlord. 

Went in the Claremont once but it was a shithole and just full of some of the usual all day drinkers you see from rough areas. Proper stink as the punters smelt like dogs who have been swimming in a canal. 

The worst one was the Seaforth Castle, walked in and fellas were snorting coke off the bar, two rough arse birds who lived over the road offered to suck me off in the bogs if I bought them drinks for the rest of the night. Proper scrubbers,  I saw that their toddlers were playing in the road outside and their idea of childcare was looking out the pub door every 30 minutes to shout at them. 

Never had the pleasure of Ma Kent's but always remember hanging round with some lad in school and going to his. I never met his parents but he would always have to go into that pub to get the key to his house off them and go home and cook his own dinner.

Haha, the Kents was alright. The Seaforth Castle I thought was just past the station, Greelys? I remember tripping in there and what an experience that was, that Gary Numan was on and it was getting to me in an old man's pub, fuckin ' things you got up to. 

Yes the landlord would be Sid Sidiankey, he was alight, the last time I was in when he was there has to be a out 10 years ago, maybe not that long.