You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Caoimhin Kelleher

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Cool. I guess with all the young lads being drafted into the first team squad, the U23s are going to be caught out.

That's why next week against the Danes could be a tough night for either Kelleher or Adrian. There won't or shouldn't be the quality of players around the goalkeeper as usualcand it could be a long night.

I thought he looked awful in that 5-5 game against Arsenal and looked like one of those fellas from Escape to Victory who turn up 8 stone underweight. Flapped at everything and any shot at him seemed to go in.

Last night it was like watching a completely different player. He seemed to be bigger physically, more commanding

He was very good last night but I don't want the usual swing of shitest/greatest player ever that seems to go with young players who come into our squad. 

I was made up with and for him last night, but just like the Ajax gk is not the worse gk in the world, this lad will not be shite when he fucks up, which he will do at some point.

I would play Adrian against Wolves.

1 hour ago, m0e said:

His distribution is being vastly understated. It was excellent. And with both feet too.

Yeah, definitely. His throwing was on point too. I thought he was solid. He’s still young but I’ve got to be honest, he was so much better than Adrian that I’d be willing to stick with him as long as needed. It’s not like Adrian is error free. 

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I expect him to as well. I read last night's selection was as much as Adrian's playing against Wolves. It's no surprise Ajax are a better footballing side than Wolves. That's no disrespect to Wolves, they play some good stuff. But they're also more physical than Ajax and after conceeding 7 to city's U23's a few days prior. Im not sure Kelleher would stand the rigours of wolves in the PL.

Kelleher played well last night. Made a couple of important saves and did everything that was asked of him. If he plays against Wolves, I wish him the best and hope he has a good game.

That logic would be understandable if Adrian, you know, handn't let in 7 against Villa in one of his last appearances.

If Adrian starts against Wolves and makes his inevitable fuck up(s) and it costs us points, there'll be uproar. Can't see Jurgen inviting that risk when he could just play a clearly better keeper and write it off as a young lad making mistakes if he fucks up 

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

I thought he looked awful in that 5-5 game against Arsenal and looked like one of those fellas from Escape to Victory who turn up 8 stone underweight. Flapped at everything and any shot at him seemed to go in.

Last night it was like watching a completely different player. He seemed to be bigger physically, more commanding

Yeah, I said before the game that I was surprised to find out he is 6ft 2, because he made himself look much smaller in a couple of the League Cup games last season. It was indeed like watching a different player last night - look composed, confident and, as you say, commanding.

3 hours ago, Numero said:

Yeah, definitely. His throwing was on point too. I thought he was solid. He’s still young but I’ve got to be honest, he was so much better than Adrian that I’d be willing to stick with him as long as needed. It’s not like Adrian is error free. 

Thing is, Adrian was fine until that clanger v Chelsea in the cup, and his confidence was shot for Atletico. He's never really recovered.

When Kelleher makes a mistake (especially one that costs us) only then will we see if he's ready.

The thing about keepers is you may never know what they're made of until its too late, and you're out of the title race or Cup.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, m0e said:

Thing is, Adrian was fine until that clanger v Chelsea in the cup, and his confidence was shot for Atletico. He's never really recovered.

When Kelleher makes a mistake (especially one that costs us) only then will we see if he's ready.

The thing about keepers is you may never know what they're made of until its too late, and you're out of the title race or Cup.

Yeah, and it was noticeable from Alisson. Oh, huh, I fucked up? Well, back to being world class I guess. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Numero said:

Yeah, and it was noticeable from Alisson. Oh, huh, I fucked up? Well, back to being world class I guess. 

To be fair, Alisson's fuck ups (Leicester, United and the red card v Brighton) as far as I can tell, cost us no points. 

But I agree, that's what separates the top keepers. Look at De Gea now. Shot.

Just now, m0e said:

To be fair, Alisson's fuck ups (Leicester, United and the red card v Brighton) as far as I can tell, cost us no points. 

But I agree, that's what separates the top keepers. Look at De Gea now. Shot.

Yeah, I was meaning that he seems to understand that fuck ups do happen, there’s nothing for it bar moving on. Self confidence is a big deal and he seems to have big ol’ bags of it. 

Just now, Numero said:

Yeah, I was meaning that he seems to understand that fuck ups do happen, there’s nothing for it bar moving on. Self confidence is a big deal and he seems to have big ol’ bags of it. 

100%

Klopp says that when you fuck up, you've already been punished. There's no point punishing yourself twice.

Easier said than done, mind

2 hours ago, magicrat said:

Kelleher didn't have a great deal to do last night but he did it all well. which is all you can ask. I think he deserves to start against Wolves but it will be a stiffer test than Ajax . 

Ive seen it mentioned a few times now that he only made saves he as expected to make. Thats rubbish, he made some excellent saves, at least three saves stood out.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Code said:

Ive seen it mentioned a few times now that he only made saves he as expected to make. Thats rubbish, he made some excellent saves, at least three saves stood out.

Yes!

Not only that, but he didn’t switch off when there wasn’t much to do. Again, I don’t care to make premature judgments or declare that he is the definitive answer to our goalkeeping travails, but it was an excellent all-round performance.

If, given time, that ends up being his usual level (the odd clanger notwithstanding), then we’ve gone from having a goalkeeping problem in that the quality drops off precipitously whenever our injury-prone number one is unavailable, to having as strong a line-up as anyone in the division. 

• Upvote 1

On 02/12/2020 at 11:23, chrisbonnie said:

i think ive said this before, 

my cousin works within the FAI (irish fa), i might add, he's a driver for the training camps, so picks up the players from the airport, drives them home if they need to go, carts them around etc........ A kinf of in house taxi driver if you will.

When Kelleher was first in the squad last year my cousin was he was watchjing a training session with another chap and neither knew Kelleher, but they where saying to each other, "that new centre mid looks decent, he's pinging balls all over the place", then he went in goal, they where amazed, he was saying he was absolutely brilliant outfield.

Then he was driving him down to Cork to his family home, said he was a lovely lad, real mannerly, down to earth as well. During the 2 hour trip they where chatting about Klopp and training etc....... We had Allison in goal at this stage and my cousin was asking him what he was like, Kelleher was saying Allison was unbelievable, great guy, helping the other keepers in training, said the training sessions with the first team where out of this world. He would do sessions with the first team, then go back to the U23's and he said although our U23's where good, the standard between the first and reserves where night and day. 

In my opinion this lad can only go from strength to strength, he's training with the best there is, the atmosphere in the camp is great, so hopefully he'll cement the Number 2 position

I definitely see an improvement in him and Alisson's help,particularly distribution,is obviously rubbing off on him. His real test will be reacting to his mistakes. We know Alisson is brilliant at that while Adrian is shit. I hope he is like the former.

20 hours ago, Code said:

Christ if you want to play semantics he made three good/brilliant/routine/ (delete as appropriate) and played well but had he let one or two of those in I would have been a bit miffed. His ability on the deck was the most impressive thing for me not the saves.