You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wolves (H) - Premier League - 6/12/20 - 19:15

Bjornebye

Last year's corresponding fixture was a nervy 1-0 win in our final match of 2019. Sadio got the only goal (after an age to check VAR for a possible handball and offside in the build-up). Pedro Neto thought he'd equalised for Wolves, only for VAR to deem that his little toenail had strayed offside. It was probably the most questionable call to go in our favour last season. It certainly wasn't like the 'handball' incident against City that sent Guardiola apeshit and gave the internet a new meme.

Our final league match of the 2018/19 season was also at Anfield against Wolves. For the briefest of moments, we were leading the league and City were losing. There was far too much time left though, and in any case Brighton promptly shit the bed to allow an equaliser before switching off completely to get thrashed 4-1 at the Amex. City won the title by one point, but we still had a last hurrah to come. A few weeks later we would be in Madrid adding number 6, getting the trophy monkey off our backs and laying the platform for what we did last season in the league. Sadio got both goals on that sunny May 12th at Anfield. I watched (most of) the first half in Florida, but there was a wedding ceremony to attend so I missed the rest of the game, and, worse, could not pick up a Wifi signal to find out what the score was until probably an hour after the game.

Calvin Harris and Dua Lipa were in the midst of an 8-week run at the top of the charts with 'One Kiss'. Definitely one of the better songs to feature in this number one rundown. When I look at the chart lists, nearly every number one song is 'this artist featuring that artist', or inexplicably long runs at the top by the likes of Drake or Ed Sheeran. Maybe they've done a song together that's reached the top, and it just so happens not to clash with the date of whatever game from the past I highlight.

As I write this, I don't know of any new fitness concerns among our players. Goodness knows we could do with a break (not literally!) from all that. That said, it's a key Wolves player who will be absent having suffered a more serious injury than any of our own walking wounded. There are serious complications that can later manifest following a skull fracture than aren't immediately a risk, so I hope Raul Jimenez makes a speedy and healthy recovery.

We can get at Wolves even though they usually sit very deep and keep bodies back during the first half of matches. We've got a game-changer who could haunt them. We've got guys that can really hurt them. Just prepare well, be on it from the first minute, take our chances and get a result.

• Upvote 11

Would bench Mane for this one, doesn't seem his usual self. Looks absolutely fucked, keeps running into contact looking for fouls that he's never getting instead of skinning defenders like he usually does.

Firmino had a nice cameo against Ajax so I'd give him the nod for the weekend.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

Would bench Mane for this one, doesn't seem his usual self. Looks absolutely fucked, keeps running into contact looking for fouls that he's never getting instead of skinning defenders like he usually does.

Firmino had a nice cameo against Ajax so I'd give him the nod for the weekend.

Mane hasn't looked right for a few weeks. He's working hard but the spark hasn't been there except in fits and starts. So maybe resting him would be for the best -it seems to have worked for Firmino. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Trumo said:

I pride myself on accuracy, so I have to admit that I picked the wrong song. 'One Kiss' was number one in 2018, not 2019. The number one at the time of the Wolves game in 2019 was Stormzy's 'Vossi Bop'.

As you were.

I was wondering about that. Didn't she perform "One Kiss" before the Kiev final?

12 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I was wondering about that. Didn't she perform "One Kiss" before the Kiev final?

Probably. I wasn't there, and I only flicked over to the match a few minutes before kick-off like I do with all our matches so I didn't see all the pre-game 'entertainment'.

32 minutes ago, aws said:

Mane hasn't looked right for a few weeks. He's working hard but the spark hasn't been there except in fits and starts. So maybe resting him would be for the best -it seems to have worked for Firmino. 

Seems to be a bit of a trend with players coming back from covid and being shit. 

41 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Seems to be a bit of a trend with players coming back from covid and being shit. 

Doesn't surprise me. I'm out of breath far quicker since I've had it than I ever used to be. getting decorations out of the loft last night and bringing the boxes downstairs I was fucked. Well, not fucked but breathing heavier than usual. It definitely lingers.