You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fed Ex Import duty tax

dave u

Bought a brand new golf club on ebay a few months back. It was shipped from Japan and the postage cost almost the same as the club (something like £30 if I remember rightly). 

Then about a month later I got a bill for import tax from Fed Ex. I didn't know what the fuck it was, just assumed it was a mistake as the only other time this had happened to me they had kept hold of the package until the import tax was paid. Because I knew I wasn't waiting on anything, I ignored it.

Then I got another letter so I looked into it and realised it was for the club from Japan which they had already delivered weeks earlier.

It's only £22.91 but I don't want to pay this on principle. I had no idea when I bought the fucking thing I'd be getting stung for an extra twenty odd quid because I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. I can't even hit the fucking thing (its a 70 degree lob wedge), I don't even take it to the course anymore as it just gets me in trouble any time I use it.

In fact I'd rather hand them the fucking club than pay the extra twenty quid.

They've given me 10 days to pay before 'further action' is taken.

So, anyone else had this and what happens if I don't pay?

Japan and eBay saw you coming and decided to triple bill you. 

For what it's worth, I'd say claim that you didn't receive any payment demands just for the curiosity of finding out what 'further action' is. 

I had this once from a courier. I just ignored it. Never heard anything about it ever again. 

It's not like Royal Mail, where they hang on to your item until you pay the duty, plus their eye-watering handling charge. You've got the item in your possession, what are they going to do, hire bailiffs over 20 quid?

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Its not like Royal Mail, where they hang on to your item until you pay the duty, plus their eye-watering handling charge. You've got the item in your possession, what are they going to do, hire bay-liffs over 20 quid?

Hopefully. Could use a other HOF thread.