You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shit that happens now that didn't happen when you were a kid

Section_31

20 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Something that's been pissing me off for a few years now. They seem to be getting less visual as the years go on.

I wonder if it's some sort of fashion backlash to the trend a few years ago of having repeater lights in the rear window and everywhere, so everyone knew when you were turning.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

There are rumours of a serial killer in Manchester pushing drunken people into the canals on cold nights. A lot of deaths on stretches of canal path with no cctv but the victims are drunk so hard to prove it wasn’t an accident. Doesn’t seem to happen in the stretches that have cctv quite as much though.  

I also think the West’s killed a lot more than they were charged with. Big gaps in the years between killings which seems unlikely. 

The Manchester canal killer is probably a real thing, even papers report on it, with a ‘could there be?’ narrative.

70/80 pulled from the canal, that’s a massive number for ‘accidents’, and when you factor in the no CCTV in one of the heaviest surveilled cities in Europe it doesn’t add up. 

27 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The Manchester canal killer is probably a real thing, even papers report on it, with a ‘could there be?’ narrative.

70/80 pulled from the canal, that’s a massive number for ‘accidents’, and when you factor in the no CCTV in one of the heaviest surveilled cities in Europe it doesn’t add up. 

It does when drunk people walk round a city that has nightlife centred around canals and 90% of the new housing is within 100 yds of a canal. 

11 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It does when drunk people walk round a city that has nightlife centred around canals and 90% of the new housing is within 100 yds of a canal. 

Perhaps, but smoke and fire, you have a lot of people who have said they’ve been pushed.

It’s not just city centre either, it’s further afield. 

Do I believe it, maybe, is it possible definitely, is it likely fuck knows, but as urban myths go this one has some semblance of truth to it.

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Yeah, that's something that's crossed my mind but doesn't Leeds have similar nightlife and housing around it's canal ?

I too reckon it's a serial killer. Was there not some notion it could be aimed at the gay community ?

5 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Perhaps, but smoke and fire, you have a lot of people who have said they’ve been pushed.

It’s not just city centre either, it’s further afield. 

Do I believe it, maybe, is it possible definitely, is it likely fuck knows, but as urban myths go this on has some semblance of truth to it.

Come on man, it’s rubbish. 

(everyone has to have a hobby) 

2 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Yeah, that's something that's crossed my mind but doesn't Leeds have similar nightlife and housing around it's canal ?

I too reckon it's a serial killer. Was there not some notion it could be aimed at the gay community ?

Not really. Manchester is absolutely crisscrossed with them and  as I say nightlife is centred on them. 

Come on, how can you say you think there is? The coppers have cctv on loads of the canals, I know this because my ex missus used to work it on nights as a copper. 

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Come on man, it’s rubbish. 

(everyone has to have a hobby) 

Nowt s’queer as’folk as they say in that part of the world, so who knows, but it wouldn’t surprise me if some loon was pushing people in the canal, I’d be more surprised by a guy drugging, molesting, raping, filming north of 500 victims in the same area undetected for years...

Anyhow’s, peace, Rico.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Nowt s’queer as’folk as they say in that part of the world, so who knows, but it wouldn’t surprise me if some loon was pushing people in the canal, I’d be more surprised by a guy drugging, molesting, raping, filming north of 500 victims in the same area undetected for years...

Anyhow’s, peace, Rico.

None of whom died. 

Listen, I’m as proud as punch of all my local serial killers. I’d welcome a new one into the club with open arms. I mean they’d be quite rightly condemned by the local community.  

9 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Proof of any that’s it’s a conspiracyz

That’s not the way it works.  It’s the other way round.  There’s a few coppers on there if I remember rightly.  And some stats from other cities with canals and pissed up students. 

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

That’s not the way it works.  It’s the other way round.  There’s a few coppers on there if I remember rightly.  And some stats from other cities with canals and pissed up students. 

I know I was just taking the piss, that place keeps the tin foil industry in business.

I know some anecdotal evidence as well, if you want it?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Of course!

My ex’s dad was a lead in the TAU and he was convinced he/she/they existed, like spooked by it.

Not proof of any sort, but when a guy who probably kicks people’s head in for fun starts looking a bit shaky at the mention of an rumour it’s hard to ignore. 

He took me on an afternoon out one day around Hattersley and that part of the world and drove up to ‘The biggest guys’ front doors and beeped his horn to let them know he was about and watching, scared the shit out of me. But, this was for both of them, they knew he was about and watching and he knew they were at home and not fucking about.

It was all about maintaining equilibrium as fucking with it made everyone’s life worse. 

On the ‘pusher’ I don’t know, but there seems to be smoke.

Surely with the Manchester thing, it would be statistical improbability for every single push to kill the person involved , out of 80 odd pushes surely the odd person would scramble out or their cries be heard.

There is a vaguely similar possible case over in America called ' The Smiley Face Killers '. Saw a documentary series on it but wasn't really convinced albeit some of the 'accidental' deaths were distinctly dubious. 

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

Surely it would be statistical improbability for every single push to kill the person involved , out of 80 odd pushes surely the odd person would scramble out or their cries be heard.

There is a vaguely similar possible case over in America called ' The Smiley Face Killers '. Saw a documentary series on it but wasn't really convinced albeit some of the 'accidental' deaths were distinctly dubious. 

There are loads of people who said they’ve been pushed, that’s what adds to the myth. 

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

My ex’s dad was a lead in the TAU and he was convinced he/she/they existed, like spooked by it.

Not proof of any sort, but when a guy who probably kicks people’s head in for fun starts looking a bit shaky at the mention of an rumour it’s hard to ignore. 

He took me on an afternoon out one day around Hattersley and that part of the world and drove up to ‘The biggest guys’ front doors and beep his horn to let them know he was about and watching, scared the shit out of me. But, this was for both of them, they knew he was about and watching and he knew they were at home and not fucking about.

It was all about maintaining equilibrium as fucking with it made everyone’s life worse. 

Hattersley is ROUGH. When I worked at BG we had a massive office there and despite loads of the locals working there and some having great careers there were regular attacks on the car park and shit thrown over the fences. It looked like Fort Knox in the end. It’s funny because I was at my dads today and talking about a pub tthat a friend of a friend took over in Gee X (about a mile away). First night he opened he was told £200 a week would keep the fire brigade away.  

26 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I know I was just taking the piss, that place keeps the tin foil industry in business.

I know some anecdotal evidence as well, if you want it?

I thought you were gonna say you got lashed in the canal with a skirt on but managed to get out. Proper let down. 

21 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

A friend of mine went missing in the Falkland's a few years ago. Went on shore and was last seen alive pissed making his way back to the ship. Apparently he wasn't the first one to drown after an accident following a piss up but to this day his body has never been found.

Awful. I've done some dickhead things jumping into the water pissed myself. Bad idea when its colder than you expect and you struggle to breath. I hope he's made his way to Argentina and as we speak he's surrounded by Argie women, cigars and rum. 

12 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Hattersley is ROUGH. When I worked at BG we had a massive office there and despite loads of the locals working there and some having great careers there were regular attacks on the car park and shit thrown over the fences. It looked like Fort Knox in the end. It’s funny because I was at my dads today and talking about a pub tthat a friend of a friend took over in Gee X (about a mile away). First night he opened he was told £200 a week would keep the fire brigade away.  

It was literally built to keep the poor away as an overspill estate, that’s why the transport is so good during working hours.

I ended up on the piss there one day, as one of those ‘pick somewhere on the train line  days’ and a guy threatened to rip my, and my mates, head off. He could have probably done it at a push as well.

I was saved when a girl walked over and claimed she knew me and I was sound, I’d never met her. Once he left she said ‘on of you two is fucking me tonight for saving your goth arses.’ We we’re not goths. My mate took the hit. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

It was literally built to keep the poor away as an overspill estate, that’s why the transport is so good during working hours.

I ended up on the piss there one day, as one of those ‘pick somewhere on the train line  days’ and a guy threatened to rip my, and my mates, head off. He could have probably done it at a push as well.

I was saved when a girl walked over and claimed she knew me and I was sound, I’d never met her. Once he left she said ‘on of you two is fucking me tonight for saving your goth arses.’ We we’re not goths. My mate took the hit. 

Nearly, it was an overspill after the slum clearances in Manchester. Massive parts of Gorton were flattened and people moved, if you’ve been through what’s left of Gorton and seen what it’s like then realise they were the best best it’s criminal. Gamesley was the same, I’ve mentioned before I played football in the Hyde Sunday league and some of the places were horrific. When your 21/22 and a man with ACAB tattooed over both eyebrows tells you not to take him on it’s a good idea to listen. 

• Upvote 1