You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shit that happens now that didn't happen when you were a kid

Section_31

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Kids with mental health problems. I can't remember much of that when I was a kid, maybe it was suppressed I don't know, but I bet no more than one in a thousands kids was on some kind of meds back then, these days I reckon it's probably around one in 10, maybe less.  

Aye, there were loads of 'odd' kids growing up round my way in the early 80s. I guess it just wasn't 'diagnosed' then. That mad kid who'd hare around always shouting would be 'diagnosed' with ADHD today. And lucky him, big pharma would just happen to be able to put him on a boatload of meds to keep him docile. Wonder if he's any happier though?

19 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

People now think it is fashionable to wear stuff that looks 30 years old. Lots of the stuff I wore as a teen is in vogue again.

Can't imagine teens wearing 1950s style in the 1980s through choice.

The students round here seem to have gone for that classic 'Rose West in a shellsuit' look. A few years ago the girls went for the Les Dawson in drag look. 

ada and cissy.jpg

Movie certification. Lethal Weapon was an 18 rated movie! If it came out now it would be 15 tops. Possibly even 12A. I'm not convinced a movie like once upon a time in Hollywood would even be released back then. 

1 hour ago, Aw Geez said:

So you watched people destroy themselves and their loved ones and conclude all they needed was to have their priorities right, like you? And you genuinely don't see how that's an over simplification?

I watched people destroy themselves, good grief. 

Like me? How do you know I got my priorities right? I did about one thing, thank fuck. 

I've made a mess of shit in other ways.and yes with the pain they were inflicting on themselves and loved ones they had a decision to make , no one can make that  decision but themselves at the end of the day. 

If I could write down all the shit you would find nothing was or is that simple, it's text that makes it come out that way at times. Fuck all is easy 

I'll be saying no more. 

20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

They don't give a fuck about temperature either. My granddad always wore a grey harrington, even if it was 30 degrees.  

There's two old lads that go in my local, always in short sleeves one is, granted they only live a 5 minute walk away but still, mad 

20 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Genuinely my dad wore a jumper in Spain when we were on holiday. He was in the navy, at one point he was in Kenya so his stock phrase was "this isn't warm if you've been to keenya"

Ha swear to god my uncle posted a pic on Facebook the other day of when he was in the Navy in the 80s and he's stood in front of the pyramids with a jumper on. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Gluten intolerance. Half of the people I know claim to have it. Never met anyone in the 1970s or 80s with food allergy. 

I knew one person in the 80s who had coeliac disease and had a constant struggle to find stuff she could eat.  As long as this daft food fad persists, people like her - who genuinely do have a medical intolerance - have easier access to a wider range of food, so there's a bit of a benefit to it.

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I knew one person in the 80s who had coeliac disease and had a constant struggle to find stuff she could eat.  As long as this daft food fad persists, people like her - who genuinely do have a medical intolerance - have easier access to a wider range of food, so there's a bit of a benefit to it.

Yeah was the same with sugar free stuff, you could hardly get any back then. Me nan was diabetic and the only drink she could have was this sickly sweet lemonade from Iceland or Diet Coke, that was pretty much it. Sugar free biscuits and the like tasted like bricks. 

4 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Addiction is they're own fault as I've said ive first hand knowledge of having been amongst it, living with it  and who knows I might have became one might of been one but made decisions, I'm not going into details on some some social media site. 

I've all the sympathy for those that have became homeless through being victims of circumstance, again I've been there myself, but no sympathy for the addicts and by the way are making things even more tough for the former mentioned.

There's a fella round here Karl, who knows his past, he knows everyone's names, but of a loon like but OK, he's homeless  you see walking around or sitting on a bench reading a paper commenting on the footy if your walking by. 

Not once has he asked anyone for money, you see him in Subway having something to eat  but I think he's had to move from where he stays, which is the warm air duct from the baths, by the street rats who gather there   its a drop off point too. So no, zero sympathy for those yes vile aggressive cunts. 

I've never seen an Indian on the street here, they'd be fucked off from their society wouldn't they? 

Ive seen more sickening posts on here more than what I've said, you read them and think for fucksake that's bad so if I'm vile I'm certainly not alone. 

I don't wish to fall foul of anyone I don't know but it's of no consequence really as it's not important, perhaps I should stop posting altogether, you decide as it'll save you the ignore option. 

When you're in a hole, stop digging

13 hours ago, easytoslip said:

No its not a vile thing to say, lose their dignity? I said there's plenty of genuine cases but for the most part it is an acceptable way of living by begging with no shame, another example, good morning sir have a nice day bollocks, they'd rather tell you to fuck off mate if the truth be known.

Lucky you, I always seem to get the ones who hurl abuse at me.

• Like 1