You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anfield Road Planning Permission re-submission

Jarvinja Ilnow

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/11/liverpool-to-re-submit-planning-for-anfield-expansion-with-new-completion-date/

Liverpool FC are to re-submit their planning application for ‘phase two’ of Anfield’s expansion, increasing the overall capacity to around 61,000 seats.

Work to expand the Anfield Road End was due to have begun in 2020, but was put on hold when the coronavirus pandemic hit in the spring.

The original outline planning permission has since expired, so the club will now submit a new application to Liverpool City Council in the next few weeks.

Anfield’s current capacity is just short of 54,000, and the expansion of the Anfield Road End would add a further 7,000 seats.

The hope is that work would then begin at the end of 2021, with a completion date either during the 2023/24 season, or the summer of 2024.

When work is underway, it is expected to take 18 months and the club want this to take place over two summers to allow for the quickest timeline.

Andy Hughes, managing director of Liverpool FC, said: “We have been clear from the start that the expansion would be based on three things: financial viability and sustainability, the successful navigation of the complex planning landscape and with the co-operation of local residents and the community.

“We’d like to thank everyone who has offered a contribution to that consultation process. We feel that we now have a proposal that has been informed by our neighbours, will support the wider economy and provide an opportunity for more of our fans to come to Anfield to support our great team.

“The last nine months without fans in our stadium has driven home our commitment to making Anfield accessible to more fans than ever before and while a high level of uncertainty remains around COVID-19, we would like to be in a position to move ahead with the proposed redevelopment as soon as the time is right, which is why we’ve decided to move forward with submitting the planning application.”

Some good news after a shite weekend.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Im surprised. I thought they'd have parked this until full crowds were allowed back. Remains to be seen if we'll see 'capacity'crowds back in the next 2 years or so.

Life moves fast. There'll be huge pent up demand for corporate + general experiences. Access to historically cheap capital. Makes sense in a lot of ways to get it done early.

Not a dig at FSG but I would imagine applying for planning permission does not mean they will start next year, just it gives them the option too. As I said not a dig, as it makes perfect business sense to have permission in place, so if it picks up they can start straight away and if it doesn't they can delay as necessary. 

I have no idea on the costs of applying for planning permission but I imagine a reapplication wouldn't be that expensive, relatively speaking. 

29 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Im surprised. I thought they'd have parked this until full crowds were allowed back. Remains to be seen if we'll see 'capacity'crowds back in the next 2 years or so.

I can't see them ever returning.

Not that i think they shouldn't - just I think they won't.

36 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I don't really understand why they didn't get it started this year? It could have been ready by the start of next season which is the earliest i expect to see full crowds in

Well apart from reduced income, they'd have difficulty getting builders in to work on it. Even Kirkby was suspended and only recently completed.

2 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Not a dig at FSG but I would imagine applying for planning permission does not mean they will start next year, just it gives them the option too. As I said not a dig, as it makes perfect business sense to have permission in place, so if it picks up they can start straight away and if it doesn't they can delay as necessary. 

I have no idea on the costs of applying for planning permission but I imagine a reapplication wouldn't be that expensive, relatively speaking. 

The planning fees are small beans and based on the floor space, with an upper limit of about £150k and I’d be surprised if it got near the maximum fee.

The professional fees will dwarf the planning fee. 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Not for my money.

I'd like to be wrong and will happily hold hands up and say thank fuck i was.

Im inclined to agree with you. Lots of people are getting fucked off with VAR affecting results. Why spend 50 quid to see a game when the result hinges on an officious VAR knobhead drawing millimeter wide lines in some portacabin outside of London?

Then you have supposedly 40% of the population saying they wont have the jab and despite the test results, no vaccine is ever going to eradicate it. Wouldnt surprise me in the least if that knock anything like 5000 to 10000 off the gate for a couple of years at least.

Just now, Chocoholic said:

The only cone to be seen at BMD in the next few years is if an ice-cream van makes a stop there selling 99s. 

Dont know about cones but they've been putting a few 'test' bricks out according to the Echo!

I wonder what scope there is to amend the Centenary or Kop next?

I suppose issues with the Centenary with houses will, like the Maine Stand, take years to resolve & Walton Breck Rd makes the Kop very challenging. Although, if they made it steeper, like Spurs, would that negate any impact on the road?

Saying that, any uplift would probably in either stand would likely be negligible and not cost effective.

21 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I wonder what scope there is to amend the Centenary or Kop next?

I suppose issues with the Centenary with houses will, like the Maine Stand, take years to resolve & Walton Breck Rd makes the Kop very challenging. Although, if they made it steeper, like Spurs, would that negate any impact on the road?

Saying that, any uplift would probably in either stand would likely be negligible and not cost effective.

Could they put the corporate shit at the top, in the roof, so the gradient of the kop is ok? They don't need to change it from a proper kop, as the corporates won't be interested in the game (they won't give a fuck if their view overlooks the chippy). They just need access to the SKD stand and the Main Stand, and keep the hospitality full of alcohol.