You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Female Artist - 2nd Round - Dolly Parton vs Kate Bush

Bjornebye

Greatest Female Artist - 2nd Round - Dolly Parton vs Kate Bush  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Female Artist - 2nd Round - Dolly Parton vs Kate Bush

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/12/20 at 13:38

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

On Tuesday I was in the car with Izzy driving down a road called Joel Lane.  Izzy read a road sign and started singing ‘Joel Lane, Joel Lane, Joel Lane JooooolleeeLane’ to the tune of Jolene.  Never been prouder. 

Wait till she shits in the bath as starts singing Islands in the Stream 

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

The world needs Dolly Parton!

It's so easy for a smug, British liberal like me to sneer at "rednecks" - undereducated, underemployed, patriotic, white, Southern Americans  - but if there's only the likes of Trump's people talking to them, then how can anyone expect them to act?

Dolly is very much of and from that group of people. When she talks sense to them - about racism, feminism, vaccines, whatever - they can't dismiss her as some East Coast elite.

14 minutes ago, SasaS said:

So, that is why Dolly Parton is so inexplicably popular among smug British liberals who largely despise country music. Because they see her as someone suitable to educate the rednecks.

Trump lost get over it 

17 minutes ago, SasaS said:

So, that is why Dolly Parton is so inexplicably popular among smug British liberals who largely despise country music. Because they see her as someone suitable to educate the rednecks.

I fucking love Country. And there's nothing inexplicable about loving Dolly. 

• Upvote 1

I got into country maybe some 15 years ago, via alter country and No Depression / Americana. I had to mostly keep it to myself because it's usually subject of ridicule. Then all of a sudden, some five or maybe ten years ago I have noticed that Dolly Parton, who I never cared too much for because everything I heard was syrupy Nashville sound or horrible duets like Islands In the Stream was in big time, mainly among people who wouldn't know who Waylon Jennings or siomebody like that was. The inexplicable part was that it didn't go beyond Dolly Parton. They just liked her. Didn't start listening to other singers or country in general. Dolly was suddenly cool, but the rest they didn't care about.  

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I got into country maybe some 15 years ago, via alter country and No Depression / Americana. I had to mostly keep it to myself because it's usually subject of ridicule. Then all of a sudden, some five or maybe ten years ago I have noticed that Dolly Parton, who I never cared too much for because everything I heard was syrupy Nashville sound or horrible duets like Islands In the Stream was in big time, mainly among people who wouldn't know who Waylon Jennings or siomebody like that was. The inexplicable part was that it didn't go beyond Dolly Parton. They just liked her. Didn't start listening to other singers or country in general. Dolly was suddenly cool, but the rest they didn't care about.  

I think there was a similar effect with Johnny Cash about 25 years ago: plenty of people getting into him, while sneering at Country.

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I think there was a similar effect with Johnny Cash about 25 years ago: plenty of people getting into him, while sneering at Country.

Both coincided with them playing Glastonbury then 

My Spotify playlist.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7iSZ2I69USPT9j6nmisghb?si=dj-iv_EjQ9-E36gcWqzjTA&utm_source=copy-link

(The name comes from an old joke about a compère at a cheesy Northern Working Men's Club, using a dodgy microphone to introduce the next act "some Country & Western".)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Yes, it was mentioned in one of  those documentaries Rich Hall used to make that Cash was country for people who don't like country or something like that. With Cash it was covers by cool people like Cave and others and later American Recordings.

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

My Spotify playlist.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7iSZ2I69USPT9j6nmisghb?si=dj-iv_EjQ9-E36gcWqzjTA&utm_source=copy-link

(The name comes from an old joke about a compère at a cheesy Northern Working Men's Club, using a dodgy microphone to introduce the next act "some Country & Western".)

Haha! Nice one. Followed. 

If you are over 40 and from Merseyside you most likely spent a good few years of your childhood listening to a relative put on records and tapes of country music. While you may never have admitted to liking them there is a good chance you know most of the words to a Johnny Cash,Merle Haggard,Charlie Pride,Hank Williams,Hank Snow,Dolly Parton,Loretta Lynn,Tammy Wynette et al,song or songs. Like The Beatles,its in your blood.

• Upvote 2