You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chess?

Bruce Spanner

2 minutes ago, Numero said:

Mate, I nearly smashed my phone. I swear my rook was coving the queen! VAR fucked me. 

Like chumps we both gave our Queens away through getting giddy.

Same again soon!

You were my 200th game.

I don’t normally play on desktop so I’m putting that down as the reason for my shoddiness.

• Upvote 1

Im absolutely fucking shit at chess. Think I'm learning openings but it goes completely out of my head after the first move. Was on chess.com after my op and got giddy when my blitz went from 198 to 500. Back down to 300 now after losing 12 games in a row.

Set up a new account username KMD777.  I'll be on tomorrow evening if anyone wants a boost to their ego

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, KMD7 said:

I only heard about fools mate this week on you tube. I'm actually staggered it hasnt happened to me yet

It was in a primary school chess tournament, first round against a lad called Stuart Todd.  The fact it was approximately 38 years ago tells you I’m not quite over it yet.  

I had the last laugh though, he’s on the register now (not the chess register).  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, KMD7 said:

I only heard about fools mate this week on you tube. I'm actually staggered it hasnt happened to me yet

There’s some bad nobheads on the website who play three move check mate all the time as it’s a piss easy way to pick up cheap wins against newcomers

Once you see it you can counter it easily, but it still pisses you off. 

• Upvote 1

I was in the chess team at school, although I wasn't great I did have my moments. I've been looking around or a nice chess set as I want to teach my granddaughter how to play chess when the social distancing stuff ends. She's 7, so we may begin with draughts and then progress to chess but she's already voiced an interest in playing chess. 

These kids who are really good at chess weird me out, it'd proper freak me out if it was my kid. It's only socially acceptable if they're Chinese.

"Hey dad wanna lose in three moves?"

"No, do you wanna be sold to a Ugandan child army in exchange for a Lion bar and a VHS tape of Zulu Dawn? If so keep it up."

• Upvote 1

When I was maybe 10 or 11 my friend and I tried to invent Chess 2, with Rooks that could move in L shapes, Queens that could move like a Knight etc. Had a few practice games and realised several problems arose. If we had solved them fame and fortune we're certain. 

I found some sketches clearing out the garage yesterday:

IMG_20201129_204245.jpg

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Remmie said:

When I was maybe 10 or 11 my friend and I tried to invent Chess 2, with Rooks that could move in L shapes, Queens that could move like a Knight etc. Had a few practice games and realised several problems arose. If we had solved them fame and fortune we're certain. 

IMG_20201129_204245.jpg

They look like sketches by the Chapman brothers. 

29 minutes ago, Remmie said:

IMG_20201129_204245.jpg

Was your friend phillyhamann?

19 minutes ago, Stickman said:

That is the only move I know if any one blocks it I make my excuses and leave

Besides chess if for pussies three dimensional chess is where it's at

A History of Three-Dimensional Chess | Geek and Sundry

I had a 3D chess set once, no idea what happened to it. Never got chance to get into it.