You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peter Shilton

Carvalho Diablo

20 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

England didn't deserve to beat Argentina. The way the handball is moaned about by many boomers seems to suggest that England were on the cusp of winning the game and the finals.

Once again, it's history being rewritten by disgusting, flag-licking tabloid reptiles of the time, and their words dripping into the minds of the weak who parrot them down the years until they are embedded in the national psyche. 

The English never got to grips with it at all, it was far too close to the Falklands.  In truth, the Falklands War was a skirmish where we got to throw some big punches against a weak opponent.  However, the tabloids whipped the country into a nationalistic frenzy following the war which by 1986 was still going strong. 

The England World Cup team was the pride of the fleet, and it was sunk by the 'cheating Argies'.

Disagree, I remember the competition and the game very well. England started the competition poorly but they were getting better with every game. The game against Argentina was very even and then they went two up, England came back strongly and pulled one back,  Barnes transformed the game and was tearing them apart, Argentina were clinging on for dear life and the whistle couldn’t come quickly enough for them. Don’t let your hatred of England let you rewrite history.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Disagree, I remember the competition and the game very well. England started the competition poorly but they were getting better with every game. The game against Argentina was very even and then they went two up, England came back strongly and pulled one back,  Barnes transformed the game and was tearing them apart, Argentina were clinging on for dear life and the whistle couldn’t come quickly enough for them. Don’t let your hatred of England let you rewrite history.

Explain 1988 and 1990 then?

England weren't close to anything in 86, all their best players were young lads who would bloom in the next couple of years (Waddle, Barnes, Beardsley, Lineker) with Hoddle, Reid and Robson as the 'stars' in their prime.  They were dogshit compared to Zico, Platini, Maradona, etc and avoided all the big teams apart from Argentina. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Explain 1988 and 1990 then?

England weren't close to anything in 86, all their best players were young lads who would bloom in the next couple of years (Waddle, Barnes, Beardsley, Lineker) with Hoddle, Reid and Robson as the 'stars' in their prime.  They were dogshit compared to Zico, Platini, Maradona, etc and avoided all the big teams apart from Argentina. 

Lineker bloom later? He won the golden boot and Beardsley was a sensation, I’m not saying they would have won it I’m saying they were in with a good chance and they were. Reid also had a great tournament, as did Hodge

8 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Linekar bloom later? He won the golden boot and Beardsley was a sensation, I’m not saying they would have won it I’m saying they were in with a good chance and they were. Reid also had a great tournament, as did Hodge

Gary Lineker was the 85/86 First Division top goalscorer with 30 goals, and scored 38 in all competitions.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

I think it comes down to jealousy that they didn’t make the fortunes out of the game that current players do.

That’s it exactly. The irony is that they make more from their lazy, wrongheaded analysis than they ever did from playing.

1 hour ago, Trojan1892 said:

Dunno why some of these ex pro’s are such bitter arrogant pricks, Shilton is an absolute nobhead as is Geoff Hurst, what a horrible cunt he is.

Hurst does come across as a prick. It's mental that Hurst is considered an all-time great and has even been knighted, all because of that hat-trick. His club career was average at best. All the drinking and missing the '66 World Cup final has tainted Jimmy Greaves' legacy who was levels above Hurst and every other England striker since.

On 29/11/2020 at 00:55, Captain Howdy said:

You forgot how they almost didn't get out of their group of minnows and needed to beat Poland in their last group game to scrape through. Captain 'unreliable' also got injured again. England were a decent attacking force after a slow start but their GK and defence were below standard and the midfield was simply too slow. England were going out anyway in the same way they have done in every tournament since and with one notable exception,before.

10 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You forgot how they almost didn't get out of their group of minnows and needed to beat Poland in their last group game to scrape through. Captain 'unreliable' also got injured again. England were a decent attacking force after a slow start but their GK and defence were below standard and the midfield was simply too slow. England were going out anyway in the same way they have done in every tournament since and with one notable exception,before.

Everything I posted was accurate, I’m not really bothered about England one way or the other to be honest so not really arsed, you just hate them so debating with you would be like debating an Evertonian, utterly pointless.

• Upvote 1

On 28/11/2020 at 05:57, General Dryness said:

He might be the antithesis of your political views, but holding him responsible for having the ball punched over his head is a really fucking rum do. I would suggest you watch the incident again, as its clearly down to the defence completely losing Maradona.

For the record, I have no love for Shilton and would far rather Clem had earned loads more caps at his expense. But retconning history because you don't like someone is a cunts trick.

I don’t agree, he hardly jumped, that was poor. He looked over weight, too much sausage and mash ?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

England would have done better in the penalty shoot-out against West Germany in 1990 with no goalkeeper. 

Shilton was way past his best by 1990. When you look at that shootout again, he doesn’t move very well at all. That being said, I don’t think any of the West Germany penalties were savable. 

But some of the revisionism about Shilton being overrated in his prime is daft. He might be a Brexit knobhead but he was outstanding for most of his career. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Everything I posted was accurate, I’m not really bothered about England one way or the other to be honest so not really arsed, you just hate them so debating with you would be like debating an Evertonian, utterly pointless.

What a stupid thing to say. I havent always hated England and Beardsley and Barnes were players I like before we even signed them,Lineker too. I even had time for the likes of Steve Hodge but its pathetic to believe England were going to do much in that tournament as they struggled to get past Poland and Paraguay,and an erratic German side still made the final. Four years later the same two teams made the final again and England really had a chance then,not 86 though.

PS,this is all true too,in my opinion just like yours is opinion. 

10 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

What a stupid thing to say. I havent always hated England and Beardsley and Barnes were players I like before we even signed them,Lineker too. I even had time for the likes of Steve Hodge but its pathetic to believe England were going to do much in that tournament as they struggled to get past Poland and Paraguay,and an erratic German side still made the final. Four years later the same two teams made the final again and England really had a chance then,not 86 though.

PS,this is all true too,in my opinion just like yours is opinion. 

England were nip and tuck with Argentina in the quarters, the same Argentina who then played Belgium in the semis and then a not great Germany in the final, England were getting better with every game with players who were growing into the tournament, on what fucking planet did they not have a chance?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Captain Howdy said:

England were nip and tuck with Argentina in the quarters, the same Argentina who then played Belgium in the semis and then a not great Germany in the final, England were getting better with every game with players who were growing into the tournament, on what fucking planet did they not have a chance?

The planet where they lost to Argentina?

On 29/11/2020 at 13:49, Baltar said:

Hurst does come across as a prick. It's mental that Hurst is considered an all-time great and has even been knighted, all because of that hat-trick. His club career was average at best. All the drinking and missing the '66 World Cup final has tainted Jimmy Greaves' legacy who was levels above Hurst and every other England striker since.

He was a fucking arsehole, got way above his station...

I was staying in a hotel with a few lads and he happened to be there as a guest speaker, they had a auction and numerous things he was just a complete nobhead.

The next day I was in the bookies putting a bet on and Frank Worthington was in there and he was a sound, the complete opposite to Hurst, I just don’t get why they’ve got to act like that.