You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peter Shilton

Carvalho Diablo

Alway come across as an arrogent bitter prick. Never liked him I thought he was overrated. 

Nowhere near the keeper Clemence was and as for that hand of god. He jumps about 30cms off the floor. Even Pickford would have got to that. 

He did something similar in Italia 90 when thr Germans scored a deflected free kick which looped over him. Any good keeper would have saved that and thr hand of god. 

If he was as great as he thought he was he would have been in goal for Liverpool in his pomp rather than Forrest. 

Just another idiot who believed his own hype.

40 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

In more recent years he seems to spout off about the FA not finding a way of bringing him into the setup so he can advise them on things, he’s never clear on exactly what, just that he should be given a job.

Immediately after Shilton retired from the national team he was brought into the set-up as a goalkeeping coach. No coaching experience, still playing full-time in the First Division, yet he got a gig straight away. But he soon walked away from that. 

His three years as Plymouth manager saw him transform them from a side fighting against relegation from the second tier to a side fighting against relegation from the third tier. Although his account is slightly more selective: “I did have the three and a half years at Plymouth which were very successful. We really changed the team around. When I joined they were the lowest scorers in all four divisions and within my second full season we finished third in the league and were the highest scorers in all four divisions.” No mention of the relegation then, Shilts? 

Whenever he gets asked about why he never got another job, he brings up the line that clubs want him to actually apply in writing. Apparently his track record of being a good goalie and a poor manager should be enough to secure him an interview at the very least. 

9 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah on during one of his last appearances for Forest in front of the Kop he gave us all the thumbs up when we chanted that. Everyone pissed themselves laughing.

I always thought that David Beckham should have responded to "Does she take it up the arse?" with a smug grin and a nod of the head.

Imagine the sound of the whole Kop mumbling "Oh. OK. Fair play, fella."

Steve Hodge skied his attempted clearance into the box, where Maradona had continued his run. I get the point that Shilton couldn't have expected the ball to go there, but he still had concrete boots on and barely got off the ground. Maradona was a short-arse but he still managed to outjump the goalkeeper.

PRI_173784559.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&z

Steve Bruce always seemed like a sound enough lad. 

How he wasn't an England regular is beyond me? Very good defender and I think he only won an England B cap which prevented him playing for the Republic where his mum was from. Hillarious that Maguire is currently an England stalwart and he isn't fit to lace Bruce's boots. I couldn't give a shit about England, but some fine players have been overlooked down the years.

Shilton was top class to be fair. Clem was a lot better, but I think he was world class or at least close to it.

Zoff, Buffon, Jennings, Clem, Banks, Nev, Maier, Schmeicheal, Casillas, Neuer, Yashin (going on reputation) and a few more were better, but I do think he was one of the best keepers of his generation. By 1990 he was 41 so while he was at fault for the German goal it says a lot that he was number 1 for a team getting to the semis.

10 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

How he wasn't an England regular is beyond me? Very good defender and I think he only won an England B cap which prevented him playing for the Republic where his mum was from. Hillarious that Maguire is currently an England stalwart and he isn't fit to lace Bruce's boots. I couldn't give a shit about England, but some fine players have been overlooked down the years.

Shilton was top class to be fair. Clem was a lot better, but I think he was world class or at least close to it.

Zoff, Buffon, Jennings, Clem, Banks, Nev, Maier, Schmeicheal, Casillas, Neuer, Yashin (going on reputation) and a few more were better, but I do think he was one of the best keepers of his generation. By 1990 he was 41 so while he was at fault for the German goal it says a lot that he was number 1 for a team getting to the semis.

Of course he was an excellent goalkeeper a decade earlier, but the main reason he was still England's No1 in 1990 was because the alternatives were Chris Woods and Dave Beasant (David Seaman got injured just before the tournament). 4 years earlier, one of the alternatives was Gary Bailey.

13 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Of course he was an excellent goalkeeper a decade earlier, but the main reason he was still England's No1 in 1990 was because the alternatives were Chris Woods and Dave Beasant (David Seaman got injured just before the tournament). 4 years earlier, one of the alternatives was Gary Bailey.

Fair point that Trumo. Still to be playing top level football at 41 is something that rarely happens. 

46 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Steve Hodge skied his attempted clearance into the box, where Maradona had continued his run. I get the point that Shilton couldn't have expected the ball to go there, but he still had concrete boots on and barely got off the ground. Maradona was a short-arse but he still managed to outjump the goalkeeper.

Steve Hodge claims it was a back-pass!

59 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Hodge fucked up his clearance. 

Shilton fucked up his reaction. 

The ref & lino fucked up their decision. 

Instead of all the great things in Maradona's career, the English just get subjected to endless loops of that shitty pile of fuck-ups.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Hodge fucked up his clearance. 

Shilton fucked up his reaction. 

The ref & lino fucked up their decision. 

Instead of all the great things in Maradona's career, the English just get subjected to endless loops of that shitty pile of fuck-ups.

Thierry Henry did the exact same thing against the republic of Ireland and yet it rarely gets mentioned.  

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Pallister didn't get much of a look in either. Fuck england 

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Pallister didn't get much of a look in either. Fuck england 

Pallister had an eight-year England career under four different managers. Two of them picked him for their very first match, and one gave him his debut as a Second Division player. He did OK! 22 caps - three a year basically.

The thing is, England were generally OK for central defenders at the time. Terry Butcher wouldn’t hack it nowadays, but for an 80s brute he pretty much set the standard. Tony Adams, Mark Wright, Martin Keown and Des Walker all did well at international level. Someone like Steve Bould has a better case for feeling hard done by. 

Pallister was a Second Division player who missed Euro 88 (but was on standby); had a lousy 1989-90 which meant he wasn’t in contention for Italia 90; missed Euro 96 through injury, and after that he slowed down and got too many injuries to be consistently in contention. The only time he can really feel hard done by his Euro 92 - he’d been PFA Player of the Year that season, but then ol’ turniphead also failed to take the First Division’s top scorer to the tournament either, so really it was a complete crapshoot who was picked. 

14 minutes ago, Ron B said:

Pallister had an eight-year England career under four different managers. Two of them picked him for their very first match, and one gave him his debut as a Second Division player. He did OK! 22 caps - three a year basically.

The thing is, England were generally OK for central defenders at the time. Terry Butcher wouldn’t hack it nowadays, but for an 80s brute he pretty much set the standard. Tony Adams, Mark Wright, Martin Keown and Des Walker all did well at international level. Someone like Steve Bould has a better case for feeling hard done by. 

Pallister was a Second Division player who missed Euro 88 (but was on standby); had a lousy 1989-90 which meant he wasn’t in contention for Italia 90; missed Euro 96 through injury, and after that he slowed down and got too many injuries to be consistently in contention. The only time he can really feel hard done by his Euro 92 - he’d been PFA Player of the Year that season, but then ol’ turniphead also failed to take the First Division’s top scorer to the tournament either, so really it was a complete crapshoot who was picked. 

“Turnip” Taylor was The S*n, wasn’t it?

9 hours ago, KMD7 said:

We got over it after a few weeks. 

In fairness it was a bit different , England would have gone into the semi final of the World Cup and the team was getting stronger with Beardsley and Lineker tearing it up, Barnes was also coming into it, England were a good side and would have had a genuine chance of winning it, I think Shilton and Butcher etc think he stole the word cup from them and it continues to burn in them. I mean I think they really need to let it go like most others have and they do come across as bitter twats but I don’t think that the two situations are comparable.

20 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

In fairness it was a bit different , England would have gone into the semi final of the World Cup and the team was getting stronger with Beardsley and Lineker tearing it up, Barnes was also coming into it, England were a good side and would have had a genuine chance of winning it, I think Shilton and Butcher etc think he stole the word cup from them and it continues to burn in them. I mean I think they really need to let it go like most others have and they do come across as bitter twats but I don’t think that the two situations are comparable.

Ireland would have won that World Cup, mate.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

That's fair enough mate. 

12 hours ago, Trumo said:

England didn't deserve to beat Argentina. The way the handball is moaned about by many boomers seems to suggest that England were on the cusp of winning the game and the finals.

Once again, it's history being rewritten by disgusting, flag-licking tabloid reptiles of the time, and their words dripping into the minds of the weak who parrot them down the years until they are embedded in the national psyche. 

The English never got to grips with it at all, it was far too close to the Falklands.  In truth, the Falklands War was a skirmish where we got to throw some big punches against a weak opponent.  However, the tabloids whipped the country into a nationalistic frenzy following the war which by 1986 was still going strong. 

The England World Cup team was the pride of the fleet, and it was sunk by the 'cheating Argies'.

• Upvote 1