You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

El Diego, gone?

RJ Fan club

1 minute ago, Stickman said:

So far I've seen him on Sky, ITV and the Beeb just wondering was Peter Reid the only one to play in that match? 

Perhaps he was the one made to look the silliest... 

"He's fat, he's round and worth a million pound... Peter Ried... Peter Reid".

5 minutes ago, Stickman said:

I think Shilton and Butcher beat him to that title 

My apologies, Shilton goes without saying.  And always has.

The fact he took 50-odd caps off Clemence - at a time when the England national team was making Churchill's "wilderness years" look an unqualified success - is QED.

31 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

"He never played in the Champions League and my Grandad said he watched Dennis Viollet who he said was much better".

The Mancs love the myth of George Best. Yes he was a talented player but he basically retired when he was 27 after a good couple of years and basically let everyone down at their club with his lack of professionalism. 

Never played in a World Cup, never moved to a mid range team abroad and carried them to the league and a European trophy. Plus never had the weight of an entire nation on his shoulders. 

Leeds fans also weighing in saying Lorimer, Eddie Gray and Bremner were better. Just waiting for Evertonians to say Dixie Dean was better than Maradona.

I don't know how the Mancs come into it, Best was a great player and as for Duncan Edwards I'll take it that he also was, albeit unfulfilled sadly, testimonies of an older generation, not one a Manc. 

It's hard to see footballing talents because of old footage etc but regardless of say fitness, faster game and all that, basic football skills was the same. 

I wouldn't argue if someone mentioned Liddle, Matthews, Puskas whatever as one of the best. 

Some would say it was a different game when Pele played or Eusabio, even Maradona as it was over 30 years ago. 

If asked I'd say those three but there is plenty of candidates who played in different positions. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, skaro said:

Best loved the parties like an insecure, talented person - detached, lonely, too young and without guidance or love - loves parties, drink, sex, fame etc...

I think.

From what I've read, he was obsessed with football as a kid, as an escape from everyday insignificance.

Like millions of kids I guess.

Fair point. I think he lacked the guidance because Busby (like Shanks) came from a generation that weren't accustomed to footballers being like rock stars.

I do think though that even when Maradona was falling into and fell into serious addiction, he still loved the game and it was a solace for him. I'm not sure that Best kept the love of the game in the same way, but maybe I'm being harsh on him.

9 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Fair point. I think he lacked the guidance because Busby (like Shanks) came from a generation that weren't accustomed to footballers being like rock stars.

I do think though that even when Maradona was falling into and fell into serious addiction, he still loved the game and it was a solace for him. I'm not sure that Best kept the love of the game in the same way, but maybe I'm being harsh on him.

I read that Busby was quite soft and forgiving on Best's waywardness.

Perhaps Best ran away from the game, thinking it the reason for his unhappiness and spiral, whereas Maradona perhaps thought it a solace.

We'll never know.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, skaro said:

My apologies, Shilton goes without saying.  And always has.

The fact he took 50-odd caps off Clemence - at a time when the England national team was making Churchill's "wilderness years" look an unqualified success - is QED.

Very true, never thought of that

5 hours ago, Stickman said:

Shilton doing the rounds now and coming across as a bitter twat, not sure why he can't just let it go over his head a bit like Maradona's hand

Funny Gascoigne telling him that goal made him while Shilton looks like he's been told Brexit ain't happening 

That's a pretty magnificent screenshot. Thermos head. 

23 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

As mentioned earlier, can a mod please change the shitty thread title to something more fitting?

Change snuffed to sniffed? 

Agreed though, the guy is the greatest player to grace the game. He deserves a better thread title on the FF. 

14 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Been trying to get hold of that shirt for an affordable price for more than a decade. 

Was already a forlorn hope and more chance of him having ever turned down a key in his life now.

He wore some ridiculously nice shirts over his career. 

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

9B37C76D-03D7-4F7F-87A1-97F9B6D8B972.jpeg

It was a bit of a horrible thing to say regarding the Falklands/Malvinas given how it was a desperate despot conscripting and sacrificing hundreds of innocent young men in a desperate attempt to divert attention aware from a corrupt government. Mind you that comment works both ways,conscription apart.

• Upvote 1

I had an Argentina away shirt from 2010 and went down to Aldershot to see my brother in law. Was about to wear it when he said I wouldn't last 2 minutes in town wearing it. Only took it as it was boiling hot and it was the only footy top I had. 

We also had a TLW game against a Danish team in Walton Hall Park, anyone playing that day will remember their centre forward looking like Rick Astley. I wore it in the pub afterwards and all the Danish lads were astounded that an Englishman would wear an Argentina shirt. Had to explain that England is the team of gammons and they all hate Liverpool anyway.

• Upvote 1

To be fair Lineker hasn’t made a big deal of the handball as he say’s all players cheat well I guess he’s got a point as he definitely pushed this first goal (which is always the most important in any game) in with his hand.....

What’s forgotten is that was the day we beat Chelsea 1-0 to win the league so basically goody two shoes could have cost us the league with his underhand tactics 

Lineker's cheating is from 1 minute 40 

• tlw content changed the title to El Diego, gone?