You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

El Diego, gone?

RJ Fan club

2 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Made up there were no fans in last night. Absolutely assured of loads of banners of him in LFC kits, shirts with his name on and people in Argentina kits singing his name as we got battered by a team of Spaghetti Growers. 

He was rather a good player, and well known, and a throw back to football days gone by - days which haven't really got any better.

Would a bit of festoonery, even disingenuous, have been such a bad thing?

3 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

There's lunatics on social media saying that he wasnt the greatest. Some people still reckon George Best was better than him. Also "my Dad saw Duncan Edwards play and Maradona isnt fit to lace his boots"

Obviously all Mancs and gammon twats still pissed off about 1986. 

Christ, imagine the field day they'll have relegating Pele... a contemporary also-ran of those unmatched Manc glory days... when he croaks.

38 minutes ago, skaro said:

Christ, imagine the field day they'll have relegating Pele... a contemporary also-ran of those unmatched Manc glory days... when he croaks.

"He never played in the Champions League and my Grandad said he watched Dennis Viollet who he said was much better".

The Mancs love the myth of George Best. Yes he was a talented player but he basically retired when he was 27 after a good couple of years and basically let everyone down at their club with his lack of professionalism. 

Never played in a World Cup, never moved to a mid range team abroad and carried them to the league and a European trophy. Plus never had the weight of an entire nation on his shoulders. 

Leeds fans also weighing in saying Lorimer, Eddie Gray and Bremner were better. Just waiting for Evertonians to say Dixie Dean was better than Maradona.

7 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

"He never played in the Champions League and my Grandad said he watched Dennis Viollet who he said was much better".

The Mancs love the myth of George Best. Yes he was a talented player but he basically retired when he was 27 after a good couple of years and basically let everyone down at their club with his lack of professionalism. 

Never played in a World Cup, never moved to a mid range team abroad and carried them to the league and a European trophy. Plus never had the weight of an entire nation on his shoulders. 

In fairness, Best was no myth, I don't think.

Like Maradona, he was a footballing genius who, flawed life-wise, became larger than life.

Football, life, fiction, fact, rumour, triumph, tragedy became blurred, exaggerated, misinterpreted etc... 

What I don't get is... when a famous, talented cunt dies, people have to engage in inane, petty, biased gainsaying and point-scoring.

RIP, George.

RIP, Diego.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

To be honest while Best was undoubtedly a great player, his tragedy was down to his faults. He basically loved the parties more than the football. With Diego, he loved the parties but fuck me he had a passion for football. I reckon if he saw a local u8s game in a park he would stop to watch and he'd be looking to go on and play. 

I feel sad thinking about the Busby Babes. Unfulfilled talent because of a tragedy. Puting aside club rivalry, the things that Edwards and the rest of that team might have done. Best shouldn't be talked in the same breath as those lads imo let alone El Diego.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

To be honest while Best was undoubtedly a great player, his tragedy was down to his faults. He basically loved the parties more than the football. With Diego, he loved the parties but fuck me he had a passion for football. I reckon if he saw a local u8s game in a park he would stop to watch and he'd be looking to go on and play. 

I feel sad thinking about the Busby Babes. Unfulfilled talent because of a tragedy. Puting aside club rivalry, the things that Edwards and the rest of that team might have done. Best shouldn't be talked in the same breath as those lads imo let alone El Diego.

Best loved the parties like an insecure, talented person - detached, lonely, too young and without guidance or love - loves parties, drink, sex, fame etc...

I think.

From what I've read, he was obsessed with football as a kid, as an escape from everyday insignificance.

Like millions of kids I guess.

• Upvote 1

• tlw content changed the title to El Diego, gone?