Quantcast
El Diego, gone? - Page 5 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RJ Fan club

El Diego, gone?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

Never a fan of the man but the footballer was a genius.  

That’s how I feel but the thread title is a disgrace!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, El Diego said:

 

And the end he looks like he's thinking "yeah thats all good and that great but are you lads serving up or what?" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There'll never be another footballer like Maradona. The ability he had, the god-like status he had in Argentina and Naples, combined with the absolutely surreal life he lived. A true one-off.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made up there were no fans in last night. Absolutely assured of loads of banners of him in LFC kits, shirts with his name on and people in Argentina kits singing his name as we got battered by a team of Spaghetti Growers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Made up there were no fans in last night. Absolutely assured of loads of banners of him in LFC kits, shirts with his name on and people in Argentina kits singing his name as we got battered by a team of Spaghetti Growers. 

 

He was rather a good player, and well known, and a throw back to football days gone by - days which haven't really got any better.

 

Would a bit of festoonery, even disingenuous, have been such a bad thing?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's lunatics on social media saying that he wasnt the greatest. Some people still reckon George Best was better than him. Also "my Dad saw Duncan Edwards play and Maradona isnt fit to lace his boots"

 

Obviously all Mancs and gammon twats still pissed off about 1986. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

There's lunatics on social media saying that he wasnt the greatest. Some people still reckon George Best was better than him. Also "my Dad saw Duncan Edwards play and Maradona isnt fit to lace his boots"

 

Obviously all Mancs and gammon twats still pissed off about 1986. 

 

Christ, imagine the field day they'll have relegating Pele... a contemporary also-ran of those unmatched Manc glory days... when he croaks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, skaro said:

 

Christ, imagine the field day they'll have relegating Pele... a contemporary also-ran of those unmatched Manc glory days... when he croaks.

 

 

"He never played in the Champions League and my Grandad said he watched Dennis Viollet who he said was much better".

 

The Mancs love the myth of George Best. Yes he was a talented player but he basically retired when he was 27 after a good couple of years and basically let everyone down at their club with his lack of professionalism. 

 

Never played in a World Cup, never moved to a mid range team abroad and carried them to the league and a European trophy. Plus never had the weight of an entire nation on his shoulders. 

 

Leeds fans also weighing in saying Lorimer, Eddie Gray and Bremner were better. Just waiting for Evertonians to say Dixie Dean was better than Maradona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

"He never played in the Champions League and my Grandad said he watched Dennis Viollet who he said was much better".

 

The Mancs love the myth of George Best. Yes he was a talented player but he basically retired when he was 27 after a good couple of years and basically let everyone down at their club with his lack of professionalism. 

 

Never played in a World Cup, never moved to a mid range team abroad and carried them to the league and a European trophy. Plus never had the weight of an entire nation on his shoulders. 

 

In fairness, Best was no myth, I don't think.

Like Maradona, he was a footballing genius who, flawed life-wise, became larger than life.

Football, life, fiction, fact, rumour, triumph, tragedy became blurred, exaggerated, misinterpreted etc... 


What I don't get is... when a famous, talented cunt dies, people have to engage in inane, petty, biased gainsaying and point-scoring.

 

RIP, George.

RIP, Diego.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

"He never played in the Champions League and my Grandad said he watched Dennis Viollet who he said was much better".

 

The Mancs love the myth of George Best. Yes he was a talented player but he basically retired when he was 27 after a good couple of years and basically let everyone down at their club with his lack of professionalism. 

 

Never played in a World Cup, never moved to a mid range team abroad and carried them to the league and a European trophy. Plus never had the weight of an entire nation on his shoulders. 

To be honest while Best was undoubtedly a great player, his tragedy was down to his faults. He basically loved the parties more than the football. With Diego, he loved the parties but fuck me he had a passion for football. I reckon if he saw a local u8s game in a park he would stop to watch and he'd be looking to go on and play. 

 

I feel sad thinking about the Busby Babes. Unfulfilled talent because of a tragedy. Puting aside club rivalry, the things that Edwards and the rest of that team might have done. Best shouldn't be talked in the same breath as those lads imo let alone El Diego.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

To be honest while Best was undoubtedly a great player, his tragedy was down to his faults. He basically loved the parties more than the football. With Diego, he loved the parties but fuck me he had a passion for football. I reckon if he saw a local u8s game in a park he would stop to watch and he'd be looking to go on and play. 

 

I feel sad thinking about the Busby Babes. Unfulfilled talent because of a tragedy. Puting aside club rivalry, the things that Edwards and the rest of that team might have done. Best shouldn't be talked in the same breath as those lads imo let alone El Diego.

 

Best loved the parties like an insecure, talented person - detached, lonely, too young and without guidance or love - loves parties, drink, sex, fame etc...

 

I think.

 

From what I've read, he was obsessed with football as a kid, as an escape from everyday insignificance.

 

Like millions of kids I guess.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×