You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Female Artist - 1st Round - Laurie Anderson vs Lana Del Rey

Bjornebye

Greatest Female Artist - 1st Round - Laurie Anderson vs Lana Del Rey  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Female Artist - 1st Round - Laurie Anderson vs Lana Del Rey

• Laurie Anderson
    • Lana Del Rey

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/11/20 at 11:23

20 minutes ago, Mook said:

The women's tournament is fucking shite, has to be said.

The likes of Mavis Staples going out to Lady Gaga doesn't help like but most of these ties really are a shit sandwich.

Yeah, the last four or five ties have been pure shit. Difficult to pick a winner when you'd rather eat one of Ardja's breakfasts than listen to either artist.

14 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

They’re only shit if you’re not into the artists involved. 

Well, they're only shit if you think they're shit. Shirley?

14 minutes ago, SasaS said:

So what are you saying, men are much better at making music?

Yes. That and there being fewer decent artists omitted in the male competition. I think the 64 was a fairly decent reflection of the best 64 male artists. 

53 minutes ago, Mook said:

The likes of Mavis Staples going out to Lady Gaga doesn't help like but most of these ties really are a shit sandwich.

There was hardly any decent ties when I did the draw. A lot of the entrants only got a few votes so for the first round or two it's not going to be that exciting. I did say I only wants to have 32 in it from the start but people asked for more. 

You're only crying because someone you preferred has gone out. To call it shit is a bit unfair. Just realise Mook that not everyone likes the same music as you and that you might not be the oracle of sound that you think you are. 

In other words, shove it up your hoop. 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Think that's a byproduct of going from people's original 7.

Think some better artists would have pushed these back if everyone had submitted an extra 3.

18 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

There was hardly any decent ties when I did the draw. A lot of the entrants only got a few votes so for the first round or two it's not going to be that exciting. I did say I only wants to have 32 in it from the start but people asked for more. 

You're only crying because someone you preferred has gone out. To call it shit is a bit unfair. Just realise Mook that not everyone likes the same music as you and that you might not be the oracle of sound that you think you are. 

In other words, shove it up your hoop. 

I don't think any of it is your fault Stig, I think 32 was probably about right.

I'm talking about the tournament in general, not anyone specific going out. I only have two Mavis Staple solo albums & one of them is patchy. Is there anyone on here who thinks the female tournament has been good?

Unlike most here, it seems, I like both. Laurie Anderson had an exceptional string of albums in the 80s/90s where she bridged pop, poetry and the avant garde. Of course, I realize that’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but at least it’s original, which is more than can be said of most mentioned here. Lana del Rey’s latest, Norman Fucking Rockwell, is shockingly good, in a Once Upon a Time in Hollywood-way. I’d never bothered listening to her before that, but now I’m actually looking forward to what she does next.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mook said:

I don't think any of it is your fault Stig, I think 32 was probably about right.

I'm talking about the tournament in general, not anyone specific going out. I only have two Mavis Staple solo albums & one of them is patchy. Is there anyone on here who thinks the female tournament has been good?

Not great so far but will probably get once it narrows down

2 hours ago, Mook said:

I think it's been fucking boring. It should get better though. 

I might just pick 32 artists for the last one (Non UK/US bands) myself. Saves me the hassle of writing everyones obscure nominations down that fucking nobody else gives a flying shite about.