You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 3 Leicester City 0 (Nov 22 2020)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Well that was brilliant, if a little unexpected. When you doubt these lads this is how they respond. They did the same last year against the same opponent. Remember how we all thought that trip to Leicester on Boxing Day was going to be a massive test for us and we went there and demolished them? Same thing happened.

I’ll be honest, I thought this was going to be really tough. Coming off an international break and with half a team on the sidelines, it’s never easy. Leicester have had injury problems of their own but they’d won every away game this season and their counter attacking style could have given us a lot of problems given the defensive changes we had to make.

Then there was the Brendan factor looming large too. We were one game away from the record and the last team to beat us were managed by a former Reds boss, Roy Hodgson. Throw in the fact that the team that set the previous record saw it ended by Leicester and it all seemed set up for a let down.

Honestly though, I could tell after about five minutes it wasn’t going to be. You could see immediately the lads were at it and I was sure we’d win from a very early stage. We made a great start and continued it for about an hour. Leicester then had a five or ten minute spell of possession after they changed their formation, but once we adapted to that we took control again. It was just a great performance.

Brendan was typically magnanimous in his post match. He always is after defeats. He said the better team won, he was full of praise for our players and said he thought his team were too passive, which they were. He was also asked if he saw it as a missed opportunity due to the “makeshift” backline we fielded.

I thought his answer was spot on. Matip is a top defender, Fabinho has filled in brilliantly, Robbo and Alisson always play and Milner is great wherever he plays. It wasn’t the first choice defence but it’s not like we’ve sent a load of mugs out there either. He was being complimentary of what we have rather than dismissing what we don't.

Yet I hear on Talksport this morning that “Rodgers dismisses Liverpool injury crisis” when that’s not what he did at all. Proper snide reporting that. And the thing is, Leicester were missing three of their best defenders too, so if we had suffered a bad result we couldn’t have really used that as an excuse anyway. Not that Klopp or the players would have done. Whoever plays is expected to do a job and has the full confidence of Klopp. 

I made the point after we lost Virgil that all it meant was we would run away with the league again and would now have to work harder to win it. We’ve lost Gomez since, which makes it even more difficult as we’re relying on Matip staying fit, which he has so far been unable to do in his entire time here. What we’ve also seen is that if we do need to occasionally call on Nat Phillips or Rhys Williams, we can still win games.

And if we have Matip and Fabinho playing? That’s as good as any pairing in the league. Seriously. It is. Matip is the best defender in the league other than Virgil, while Fabinho potentially could be as he's been brilliant in the limited time he's spent there. He can only get better with more games.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full report

Please note that PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

Completely agree on the Salah thing.  It’s your brothers wedding but you’re getting paid 200k a week to make sacrifices and this was one of them.  I can’t envisage a Rafa/Alonso wedge being driven between them but I imagine there will have been some harsh words from Klopp. This performances should highlight to him that contrary to some people’s belief he’s not irreplaceable.

• Upvote 2

Good report Dave. Id say Jurgen has a massive decision now though because who do you rest out of Sadio, Diogo, Mo and Bobby? I know we've played all 4 in a game but I thought we were a bit open.

I still dont get all the abuse Rodgers gets from some of our fans. So what the guy spouts stuff. But for some mistakes by players in a few games during 2014 he would be a hero. Sure, there's no question Jurgen is head and shoulders above him but he is with any manager in the world you care to mention, even international team managers.

The team played exceptional and I thought Milner was magnificent. Keita had a good game until he got injured. Again. Was he this injury prone at Leipzig? Yeah the bundesliga may not be as intense but they also have more colder nights especially this time of year. I think players playing infrequently are more susceptable to injuries which makes it a Catch 22 situation for these players.

I wish Jurgen would have a word with young Neco though. I think he bombs forward a bit too much and a bit wrecklessly at times. No one should expect him to be like Trent and it shouldnt be forgotten Trent didnt use to bomb forward all the time when he broke into the team.

But, it's a bit churlish to be critical of any of the players after that performance because as I said in the match thread, just about everyone outside of Liverpool Football Club was licking their lips at the idea 'table topping' Leicester would do us.

You get the feeling sports writers are not wanting us to retain the title with every passing game.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, dave u said:

I know, but its never strictly enforced though, that's my point.

Ah I see, you mean it's not monitored by some sort of Hawkeye arrangement- fair enough. I originally thought something like this was what VAR would have been used for- ball in or out of play (although that might be difficult on height grounds) and correctly determining who gets a throw-in or corner/ goal kick. No doubt they'd even completely fuck that up though.

There's no room for silly old Coote's to interpret the rules wrongly when its comes to the goal line technology, it's either in or it's out. It's pretty shit that we didn't get a goal by 1cm but at least the rule is exactly the same for everyone who uses it, it's not like hawkeye will give the mancs a goal next week that was only 2cm from being over completely. It's consistent and we really do not see this from VAR or refs at all and that is what infuriates me. 

• Upvote 4

Gini is a key player. Tie him up FFS!

I thought Keita had a good game, he was sharp and mobile. I still have hope that there is a monster player in there somewhere.

Other than that: great report as always!

Regarding the next two games: Klopp has to gamble by playing our C-side against Atalanta. I dont want to see Fabinho, Matip, Robbo, Gini, Sadio or Bobby anywhere near the pitch. Saturday against Brighton is MUCH more important.

I miss the first 15 mn, watched it today and I thought Keita was pretty good in these 15 mn. He won’t make it here as you say as he is always injured.

Robbo is a word class player. He does not get as much recognition as Trent but he’s as good upfront and a much much better defender. Just love him.

Totally agree on Mo. 

We were so good right ! 

• Upvote 1

Keita makes no sense to me because he's so damn timid. This is not the man I was expecting to see when I heard he got into a fight with his Leipzig teammate because Keita gave him a bad tackle as retribution for an earlier challenge. I was expecting a psycho on the level of Mascherano or Suarez but I don't even think I've seen him angry here.  I really want his career to take off and another injury in his third season will not make him feel better.

Anyway Jota is amazing I was never unhappy we bought him just surprised cos I completely looked past him due to the heart eyes I had for Traore. I can't wait for the fans to safely come back because he deserves to know how much devotion he's inspiring from his new fanbase.

30 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

I mean fucking hell, we just smashed Leicester without four players who would get into any team in the world right now. 

No Hendo, no Thiago, no Trent, no Virg… and we still played like this.

Harsh not putting Salah in there...

He's in Dave's naughty corner this week.

4 hours ago, The Guest said:

Completely agree on the Salah thing.  It’s your brothers wedding but you’re getting paid 200k a week to make sacrifices and this was one of them.  I can’t envisage a Rafa/Alonso wedge being driven between them but I imagine there will have been some harsh words from Klopp. This performances should highlight to him that contrary to some people’s belief he’s not irreplaceable.

Should be following Shanks attitude. 'They asked if it was true i took my wife to a football match to celebrate our anniversary. Rubbish, as if i would get married during the Football season'

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• dave u unpinned this topic