You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atalanta (H) Champions League - 25/11/20 - 20:00

Bjornebye

Might make sense to give a couple a breather here...Robbo and i'd probably protect Matip and play lad Williams with Fabinho.

Up front is tricky as would like to see some rest given there, but no Salah, if Shaqiri is not an option it makes it more difficult.

Would hope Thiago is available so he can start to bed in

Maybe something like:

Alisson

Tsimikas

Williams

Fabinho

Williams

Henderson

Thiago

Jones

Jota

Firmino

Minamino

Not an ideal XI but feel need to offer some rests after international load and today.

Of course could just go balls out and play best available and nail qualification down and then know have two games left to be able to give some breathers....

Hopefully can offer breathers and have enough to get job done.

Our first ever Champions League fixture against a Serie A side came in our first season back in Europe's premier competition, back in 2001/02. The competition back then was heavily bloated with not one, but two group stages before the knockouts. We'd eased through the first round group unbeaten against Dortmund, Boavista and Dynamo Kyiv. Indeed, the first group game was against the Portuguese champions on the night of 9/11. I worked nights back then so didn't watch it but everybody's focus was understandably on the shocking events that had unfolded on US soil earlier in the day. The match atmosphere has been described as strange because people realised that there were more important things to think about.

The second round group saw us face Barcelona, Roma and Galatasaray. We struggled a bit, getting a footballing lesson at home against the Spaniards before drawing the next 4 games. We needed a two-goal victory in our final group game against Roma to go through. That night in March 2002 was Ged's return to the dugout following his serious health scare. Whatever one thinks of him or his management, you have to remember that he was so so close to losing his life the previous October. Thommo had done a very good job in the interim, keeping us in touch with Arsenal at the top of the table.

We got the win we needed thanks to an early penalty from the gifted Jari Litmanen and a second half header from the limited-but-game Emile Heskey (who was going through a goal drought similar to Bobby's current lack of goals). The atmosphere was raised to fever pitch when the manager surprised everybody by stepping out. Fabio Capello on the opposition bench was clearly delighted his friend was well, but he must have known that Liverpool's fans would lift their team even more.

The early noughties were the era when reality TV cunts backed by Simon Cowell stood a great chance of scoring a chart No1 before slipping back to obscurity. In March 2002, it was the turn of the simpering gimp-chinned goon Will Young with 'Evergreen'. You can watch the vid if you like, but you must know it's shit.

We have the chance to basically guarantee our place in the knockout phase next year with a win. That would put us on 12 points. Whatever team we put out, we are capable of achieving it. We don't know what Atalanta will try to do (I can't see them being as open as in the game in Bergamo) but we just need to worry about what we do. Manage the game properly and professionally, look to make things happen and get the win.

• Upvote 7

Would definitely rest Big Bird, Millie, Robbo, Sadio and Gini. I'd be tempted to rest Jota as well. If Hendo is fit start him. Would love to rest Fab, but that won't be an option.

I think Bobby is playing well and another goal could be huge for him. Really need Minamino to play and play well. He is going to have to be an option at some point this season. 

Down to the bare bones but moving forward we have a few back/coming back so if we just get a bit of luck this week with injuries and get two good results, we will be in a lovely position of being able to rest all the lads for the midweek champions league games. That will feel like we rode a big wave heading into the festive season.

• Upvote 1

Understand people's apprehension about injuries but we cannot afford to lose this game. Jurgen's allowed 5 subs in this game so Id go strong and if we get 2 or 3 goals up, he can start making subs.

Win this one then we can rest some for Ajax and the danes.

Good news Mo tested negative so he should be in training today and available for this game. Dont forget as well, Mo's had a nice little 3 or is it 4 game rest as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I’m not sure Mo can play as he’s hardly trained right ? Is he fit ?

Matip has to be rested. Depending on available ressources in midfield, Milner could play right back or in midfield. Time to give a rest to Robbo and a start to Tsimikas.

In midfield, play whoever who’s not injured.

Up front, rest Mané maybe, Bobby has to play to score again, with Jota who will rest Saturday, and Shaq if he can. It will be nice to have Mané on the bench, with an option to score later in the game.

We will win this! 

22 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Alisson; Milner, R. Williams, Matip, Tsimikas; Fabinho, Jones, Gini; Shaqiri, Jota, Minamino

Yeah I'd like to see that. I can see him starting Mane though. 

Looking forward to getting a proper look at Tsimikas. I think he's looked decent the little I've seen of him. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah I'd like to see that. I can see him starting Mane though. 

Looking forward to getting a proper look at Tsimikas. I think he's looked decent the little I've seen of him. 

I would’ve liked to not risk Fabinho or Matip but we don’t really have the players to rotate atm.