You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Nov 14-20 2020)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Nov 14:

Robbo has a tight hammy and won't play for the Scots this weekend. Why is he still even there? Get him back here to rest up for the weekend as he’s the only regular back four player we still have available. Scotland have qualified and these games they have left are meaningless. Fucking get back home, son.

Also today, Man City have complained to Sky about Keane’s criticism of Kyle Walker. I have a few thoughts on this. Firstly, City are the worst bunch of cry babies in world football. It comes from the ownership and filters right the way down. They don’t deal with any kind of criticism very well at all. There’s a massive whiff of “how dare you, don’t you know how rich we are” about them when it comes to things like this.

That said, I’m putting myself in their situation and wondering how I’d want us to react if, say an ex Everton player, had made similar comments about our right back. Would I want us to complain to Sky? Maybe, I’m not sure. It’s not really an apples to apples comparison because no Everton player has the kind of gravitas and CV that Keane has. The reason I mentioned Everton and not Man United (or Keane in particular) is because Keane is to City what Everton would be to us.

If an ex Everton player was as scathing about one of our lads as Keane was about Walker, I like to think we wouldn’t complain to Sky but it would just be a collective “you played for Everton and won nothing, pipe down knobhead”. City can’t really throw that one at Keane so they’ve gone running to his bosses, the fucking grasses.

For what it’s worth, as I said at the time I thought Keane was harsh on Walker because although he is indeed an idiot and a car crash, those are just isolated, albeit fairly regular, incidents and in between those incidents he’s City’s best defender by a mile. Kyle Walker is a really good player who is semi-regularly prone to really shit moments, but Keane was talking about him as though he’s some kind of Phil Jones tribute act.

The one thing that is indisputable though is it was fucking hilarious. Come on, even those of you that hate Keane must have laughed when he was asked about how well Sadio had done and he replied “yeah but he’s up against an idiot”. That was funny. If you didn’t laugh at that then you probably have no sense of humour and enjoy Mrs Brown’s Boys.

Meanwhile, Evertonians are talking about Bramley Moore again. I’ve said it before, but there is not even the tiniest part of me that thinks Everton are getting a new ground. From day one I’ve thought it was never going to happen and I still feel like that now. I don’t think it’s possible to condition my brain to accept the idea. They’ll be playing their first game in their new stadium and I’ll still be thinking it’s some kind of hoax. Except they won’t, because it’s not happening. 

Sunday Nov 15:

Oh no, Ray Clemence. That’s incredibly sad. I remember reading a while back that he was ill but then we didn’t hear any more about it so you tend to just assume things must have been going better. Sadly not this time.

I’m fairly sure I saw him play live but it will have been right near the end of his time here and I was just a kid so I don’t remember anything about him really. My first memories of watching us are with Grobbelaar in goal, and it’s quite funny whenever I look back at season highlights from that time because, let’s be honest here, he was fucking shit. An absolute liability. 

At the time I bought into the whole ‘look at Brucie, isn’t he eccentric’ narrative, but it’s only when I watch the videos now I see how bad he was. Sure, he made some incredible saves and was astonishingly agile, but he cost us so many goals that I’d say we won all those trophies in spite of him, not because of him. With Clemence, it was the opposite. Reliable, dependable, brilliant.

Absolute fucking joke he had to split England time with that stupid curly headed fuck Shilton. I always thought Shilton was shite but in fairness that’s skewed by me not really seeing him when he was in his Nottingham Forest prime (apparently he was brilliant back then) and therefore I’m judging him on his England career. I always thought he was fucking useless and in recent years he’s really shown himself to be a bad knobhead, but I’ll always be grateful to Shilton because of the part he played in one of my favourite childhood memories. 

The Hand of God would never have happened without him having concrete in his boots and it warms my heart that his repugnant little Boris loving, Brexit obsessed heart is still broken by it and it will haunt him until his last breath. God bless you, Diego.

Back to Clemence though, he walks into any all time Liverpool XI and although eventually Alisson might take that spot (he just needs the longevity really) for some older Reds no-one will ever eclipse Clem. Rest in Peace, Ray.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic
35 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

What's with the Kirkby hate Dave?

It's just boring. "Ooooh look at this new physio room that overlooks the pitches". "Wow, look at the beach volleyball court that will be used about three days a year when we actually have semi-decent weather".

Just leaves me cold. I'm sure it's interesting to the people who are using it and spend their days there, but I have no interest in seeing it.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

It's just boring. "Ooooh look at this new physio room that overlooks the pitches". "Wow, look at the beach volleyball court that will be used about three days a year when we actually have semi-decent weather".

Just leaves me cold. I'm sure it's interesting to the people who are using it and spend their days there, but I have no interest in seeing it.

Fair enough. Spot on about Maradona as well. I remember finding it hilarious at the time and my (Everton supporting) mates looked at me like I'd just spat in the queen's face.

• Upvote 1

We're going for the unbeaten at home record on Sunday. The team that ended the last unbeaten run was Leicester...Reds fans of my age can remember Leicester as always being a tough nut to crack.

Football has failed to respond to the pandemic seriously. UEFA should have scrapped the Nations League (it's hardly a long established competition) and, I would argue, they should have scrapped the Euros next summer. Domestically we should have abandoned the League Cup for this season. Instead, the authorities have tried to squeeze everything in, with obvious consequences for player's fitness.

Ray Clemence was a great goalkeeper in an era of great keepers. Even omitting Shilton, there were Gordon Banks and Pat Jennings about, two of the best ever and Ray sttod out in their company.

• Upvote 1

I watched the Kirkby video and thought ‘wow’ It’s great to see we’ve got great modern facilities. Sad to leave Melwood but Klopp has always wanted to bring the kids together with the first team.

I didn’t realise it’s today we could break the record, I can’t bear the thought that Brendan could be the manager to do it.

Yep, makes me more nervous.

• Upvote 1

I see Coote excelled himself last night awarding 3 points to manure. I don’t get why there is international football ever but especially now when it must cost the associaions money to stage the games, for what purpose. Christ alone knows. Edwards and co must have watched videos of Clem and looked for the nearest thing to him which is why Alison ended up here. 

• Upvote 1

That cunt David Coote being employed without having answered for what he did makes me see the point in Project Big Picture or European Super League more and more.

FIFA and the FA are acting like they are a law unto themselves and I can't think of one thing they did to improve the conditions of the players during this period. If they weren't banned by law from allowing fans into the stadiums I'm sure it would have continued with Liverpool vs Atletico being allowed to go ahead being a case in point. For fucks sake even the US with the NBA and the NFL are doing a much better job protecting their players.

If a European Super League happens I'm probably done with football completely but I can't say I won't understand what the league execs did to get football there.

• Upvote 1

R.I.P. Ray Clemence. He was my first Liverpool hero. I was gutted when he left for Spurs, and gutted when the sad news came this week. The word «legend» is used far too often about players who have won one or two trophies here during a spell of a few years. Clemence won the league five times, the European Cup three times, the UEFA cup twice, and the domestic cups once each. He played 665 matches for the club. Now that is a LEGEND. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

• dave u unpinned this topic