You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Halsey: Referee standards have dropped to alarming levels  

TLW

Former referee Mark Halsey has spoken about the diminishing levels of referee standards in English football.

The 59 year-old who retired in 2013 after 14 seasons as a Premier League referee is now a close observer of the whistle blowers and does not like what he sees.

The Daily Star reported Halsey as saying:

“I hate to criticise fellow colleagues but over the last six to seven years the standard is dropping alarmingly, at all levels.

“We have some great referees out there at the top, and I think Michael Oliver is by far our best referee; Martin Atkinson, Mike Dean, they are experienced guys and they are good referees.

"Top coaches turn average players into good players, good players into excellent players - it is no different with referees.

"We have a failing with a number of top coaches who can take our referees forward."

Halsey also took aim at the decision makers for the extraordinary decision to put David Coote in charge of the VAR for the Reds clash with Leicester on Sunday evening.

coote.jpg

Coote will forever by remembered by Liverpool fans for his failing to punish Everton keeper Jordan Pickford for his truly reckless challenge on Virgil Van Dijk, which saw the imperious central defender ruled out for the season with a ACL injury.

The Nottinghamshire official then produced another crucial error when he ruled out a Jordan Henderson last minute goal for offside which left Jurgen Klopp rightly bewildered.

The decision to remove Coote from this fixture was described by Referee chiefs as “Operational Reasons.” but Halsey said it was a choice which should not been made in the first place.

“It's poor appointing. There was a massive furore about the incident and we had two or three different reasons why it wasn't picked up; the offside nullified the challenge which was nonsense.

"Why put him in that pressure cooker? There was no need to put him on that fixture list as VAR with Liverpool."

Thankfully common sense was applied in the end and Andre Marriner will be the man in the VAR hot seat tomorrow evening.

View full article

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Halsey should know about a ref being shite his performance against the Mancs when he sent Shelvey off was that bad it boarded on blatant cheating ... 

And then gave them an utterly outrageous penalty for a non-fou by Glenn Johnson, if I remember correctly. l also saw him send off Lucas at Stoke for two innocuous fouls.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

David Coote is corrupt. 

Honestly I just think he’s absolutely shite.  The VAR had some shit camera angles that couldn’t show the contact blatantly.  You had to look really closely to see it, not because it wasn’t there but because the camera angles were shit. He did give the penalty to begin with and has given plenty of soft decisions against United as well as he has for them.

He then goes up the other end and decides he’s not going to give a foul in the build up to United’s penalty which he’d given about 10 similar ones previously.  He’s just an absolutely awful referee that needs to be relegated from this level.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Supremolad said:

Coote being initially appointed for the Leicester game was an incredibly stupid decision.

Hope the reversal of that decision was because we had a gentle word with Mike Riley at the PGMOL. Gentle words like "fuck Coote off and fuck you too, you incompetent cunt".

I think it had more to do with the fan outrage on social media than anything the club said or did.

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

He then goes up the other end and decides he’s not going to give a foul in the build up to United’s penalty... 

Absolutely this. Disgraceful behaviour.

The penalty he DID award - immediately after - was bad enough. I can see with the current rules that enable refs to award whatever they like according to their bias or worse he has the ability to give it, but it was still a dreadful decision. The retaken spot kick was, I'm afraid, justified, but then again if you're going to behave like a prancing horse in the run-up, it's tough titties for me Clive. 

If we thought VAR and reffing was bad over here, watch this!

Penalty shoot out between 2 yank teams, the keeper saves the pen that wins the shoot out, but Themis judged to have moved off line before the kick. Then he’s given a second yellow and a red for doing it, then the ref lets them bring a sub keeper on, then realises you can’t do that, then says they can, they says they can’t again, before the outfield player eventually saves the pen that corrects the outcome, but not before Michael Jackson’s thriller has a pen saved that would have won it for the cheated team. Absolutely mental.

But what really takes the biscuit, is the ref, yes, the fucking ref, has got his socks pulled up over his knees. The ref! The absolute fucking whopper. I’ve seen it all now.

The state of this prick...

336353A0-8754-481B-B583-75C72BF45D84.jpeg

On 21/11/2020 at 11:06, DaveT said:

And then gave them an utterly outrageous penalty for a non-fou by Glenn Johnson, if I remember correctly. l also saw him send off Lucas at Stoke for two innocuous fouls.

This was the game right after the twat went out for dinner with Old Whisky Conk. I couldn't remember which game when this clown was last brought up. Johnson breathed on Valencia i think it was.

7 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Watching some old highlights and, fuck me, it turns out David Coote was the VAR ref at Old Trafford last season, when Rashford's goal was given after Lindelof ploughed through Origi.

OT, Burnley home, Goodison - quite a record. 

7 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Watching some old highlights and, fuck me, it turns out David Coote was the VAR ref at Old Trafford last season, when Rashford's goal was given after Lindelof ploughed through Origi.

Didnt realise that. Shocking call that. Origi went down looking for it at the time but it was from behind and theres contact its a standard Free kick all day long - Harry Kane literally gets about 10 of them every match in his favour. 

• 1 year later...