You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Female Artist - 1st Round - St Vincent vs Tina Turner

Bjornebye

Greatest Female Artist - 1st Round - St Vincent vs Tina Turner  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Female Artist - 1st Round - St Vincent vs Tina Turner

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/11/20 at 12:39

12 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Might skip this one.

Thought St Vincent was a school for the visually impaired in West Derby, and I voted Simply the Best as the worst song in the world in another thread.

l can only assume, you are not aware of Bombadilla Life.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Code said:

l can only assume, you are not aware of Bombadilla Life.

"Bombadilla Life by Oddvar Ruud, performed by Franklin. This song is one of the biggest Norwegian hits ever, sold close to 500 000 copies in Europe."  your

So using your commercial success criteria for quality, this is a great song. 

• Upvote 3

Pink is great and her omission probably highlights the wide range of tastes on this forum, and also that the female tournament could have been bigger.  Pink isn't even half as good as some of the others not nominated.

Not having a go, just saying.

Appreciate the work you're putting in, as ever, Bjornebye.

5 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I'll abstain on this one I think. 

I've never heard of St Vincent and while River Deep, Mountain High was good, Simply the Best, Private Dancer, Steamy Windows etc negate that due to their total shitness.

It's funny, by any objective measure, Tina Turner's 80s output was oodles better than Stevie Wonder's, yet the mighty GF sees far more willing to forgive his musical crimes.

5 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

I'm sure its down to a matter of taste, sounds fucking awful to me though.

Jesus Christ. What the fuck is that? I’ve never played an electric guitar in my life but I reckon I could make one sound better than that pile of wank with my eyes closed. She almost broke into a tune near the end. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's funny, by any objective measure, Tina Turner's 80s output was oodles better than Stevie Wonder's, yet the mighty GF sees far more willing to forgive his musical crimes.

I don't really understand why you would judge an artist on their crap, when they've made consistently great stuff before or afterwards.

Stevie Wonder had a run of masterpiece albums in the 70s, the music he made after that is pretty inconsequential for me. Along with the shite Tina Turner was churning out in the 80s.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

I don't really understand why you would judge an artist on their crap, when they've made consistently great stuff before or afterwards.

Stevie Wonder had a run of masterpiece albums in the 70s, the music he made after that is pretty inconsequential for me. Along with the shite Tina Turner was churning out in the 80s.

After “As” he earned the right to do whatever he wanted and still be deemed a legend.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I just called to say get the fuck out of here.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I Just Called to Say I Love You was a sonic crime against humanity, but Hotter than July was a cracking album, infinitely better than Tina Turner's 80's output in my opinion.

But that's music, it has a tendency to divide opinion.